“good hotel .”

Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Bath
lakes
“good hotel .”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

had a mid week break here and enjoyed it very much, the hotel is well placed for access into town only 5/10 min walk or use bus [stops just outside hotel].the food and service were very good and the staff very helpful ,overall a very enjoyable holiday in a nice area and town to explore.

Room Tip: visit roman baths amazing!!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank keith s
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Dear Lakes Teuc
I am really glad you enjoyed your midweek break here at the Lansdown. We try to give all our guests a great holiday experience. I agree the Roman baths visit is a must maybe next time you could visit it at night by candlelight during the summer months.
Thanks
Jane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
London
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Booked a 4 night half board self drive package with std room. 10 mins walk to royal crescent or city ctr but located on a steep hill- so not for the unfit unless you dont mind driving/parking or catching the bus back! We found the food excellent, with a choice of 3 of each of the 3 courses each night (inc veggi). We cannot understand how some have previously criticised the catering- especially at this price. We also found the restaurant staff were always exceptionally polite, efficient, fast and attentive.
Our room was small, but ok. The bathroom was rather let down by the rotting bath panel- which if replaced at minimal cost would have improved the experience greatly. During our second night I was kept awake by noisy heating/pipework. Creditably, we were moved without fuss to an alternative room for the remainder of our stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
hampshire
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I booked a two night stay for my husband and I to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We arrived well before our 15:00 check in time but were happy to have parked the car and walk into Bath city centre. First impression, a hotel frontage covered with scaffolding but we kept our fingers crossed that our room would be at the rear of the hotel (which it was). When we did gain access to the room, (I had asked for an Ambassador Room and a celebration package of champagne and chocolates), it was indeed large and spacious but oh dear, the shower screen was full of mildew and mould and the toilet seat was "stained" We did have the champagne but as the ice had thawed, my husband went down to the bar to ask if we could have some more ice. Although the bar tender was pleasant and offered to store the champagne in the fridge for us, it did seem rather incredible that there was no ice for our bucket! The french style doors in our room opened onto the rear car park which was a little disappointing as I had expected to have a little patio area but as the weather wasn't too favourable, it did not create too much of a concern. After reading the reviews on the website, I had booked our anniversary meal in the hotel's restaurant, big mistake! We ate what I would call was the type of meal that a student living in digs might cook and certainly Weatherspoons would have been able to rustle up a better dinner. Our first course was on the table within five minutes of ordering and I had Hot & Spicy Chicken for my starter which was very dry and tasted like it had previously had freezer burn. We both had Poached Fillet of Hake but the hake was very dry and was served with a limp salad, new potatoes, and vegetables including beetroot, it neither looked nor tasted appealing. For my dessert I opted for cheese and biscuits as how could that not be good but the celery was clearly well past it's best, I even had the stalky inedible part. We were not offered a wine list which I would expect to have in a hotel restaurant. The napkins were paper and the glassware for the water was smeared from the dishwasher I suppose. The staff were pleasant enough but the experience was very much a let down.
The next day, our daily paper which was ordered failed to appear but we accepted the apologies as it was not a big deal and mistakes are made by us all. We did not eat at the hotel on our second night but instead booked at Loch Fyne in Bath, what a difference! I was dreading the breakfast but to be honest it wasn't too bad although fudge yoghurts seemed a little strange. Our room was clean and tidy when we returned but they do need to clean the shower screens. The building is old and tired and it's nice to see that work is being undertaken to the exterior although it would be nice to be warned in advance. We paid £250.00 for our two night bed and breakfast but it certainly was not worth that sort of money. I think that the food is sadly lacking and the attention to detail on the shower screen should be improved. The B&B that we stayed in last weekend in Stratford upon Avon was faultless and cost us less than half of what we paid for the Lansdown.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maureenHampshire
toowomba australia
Reviewed May 25, 2011

My husband and I spent one night in this hotel last December for my Birthday. We were so happy with the service provided by all the staff, from the lady at the front desk who helped with any queries to the French Desk Manager and the Bar Manager who made my night very special, being so far from home. Our room was large and comfortable which is great when repacking and the shower was hot. The location was great, close to town.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank longey05
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2011

It was a really a great stay for me & my family. We really liked the hotel & the staff was really helpful. There is lot of parking space so we didn't had a problem to park the car. The breakfast was excellent. The only thing is that the room is really far from the reception & you have to walk a lot. You can take a bus to city centre from the bus stop which is 100 metres from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Excellent value for money. Staff were very friendly. Food was of a good quality and servings were more than ample. Rooms were large, clean and had lots of features of the original house that it was. Yes it was large and there could be a lot of walking depending were your room was and the decor was a little passed its best. But this added to the character of the hotel. It had that cozy feel. I would recommend this hotel for a weekend break.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments and for recommending our hotel to others.
Your opinion does make a difference as we continue to try and give our guests value for money as well as friendly customer service.
Kind Regards
Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2011

On the second night of our stay at Lansdown Grove hotel in Bath shortly after the dinner my husband and I felt extremely sick. I vomited and had diarrhoea and my husband also had severe diarrhoea. I recovered by the next morning time but my husband remained ill up until the following morning when he was taken to a local hospital by an ambulance and diagnosed with viral gastroenteritis. For the remaining of our 4 days' holiday we were unable to eat anything or go anywhere so our holidays were ruined.

Otherwise everything seemed to be fine: friendly and helpful staff, nice meals (the ones we were able to try). If you wish to quickly lose some weight (we both lost a couple of kilos after our ordeal) we would highly recommend Shearings holiday. As we discovered viral gastroenteritis can spread through unwashed hands or eating utensils so there are plenty of opportunities to get it on the coach or at one of Shearings hotels. Two other people who were travelling back home with us complained on similar problems but they were staying at different hotels. At home we discovered that this problem (but caused by different bugs) happens all the time at different hotels (e. g. the Majestic hotel in Eastbourne was closed due to outbreak of this virus in December 2008, guests affected by air-borne bugs at Grand Atlantic hotel in Weston super Mare in April and May 2007).

We wrote to Shearings but didn't get any satisfaction from them. They declined our request for a compensation on the ground that this was beyond their control. In the meantime they are very proud of their detailed plan to prevent and contain the virus. We are just wondering what is the point of creating such a plan against something which is beyond their control?

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Elena W
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
I would like to say how sorry I am that you were poorly while you were staying at the hotel.This must have been really upsetting for you.
This type of sickness virus spreads very quickly from person to person - over the last years there has been many reports of this type of sickness affecting many public place where lots of people visit -hospitals,schools,cruise ships and hotels
It really is impossible to prevent this type of virus occurring however the preventative measures we take to contain the virus and reduce the spread to other customers and staff really have a positive effect.
If you are still unhappy about the outcome of your correspondence,please contact our Customer Care department again. They really are there to help if they can.
Kind Regards