Bailbrook Lodge
$104
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
The Abbey Hotel(Bath)(Great Value!)
$183
$100
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Bath(Bath)(Great Value!)
$89
Excellent 5/5
$69
TripAdvisor
Good 3.5/5
All reviewssister hotelfour posterchampagne breakfastslipper bathtravelzoo dealwet roomafternoon teaon arrivalb bnumber buscity centrebeau nashkippersbus stopposter roomground coffeegarden suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Only stayed one night at this delightful hotel in April 2009. Found it from their roadside sign as I was driving around Bath looking for a hotel for the night. You enter up a long driveway to a very elegant Georgian House which is the hotel. The hotel is on a main road but set back and I didn’t notice any road noise from my room. It is about a mile from the centre of Bath.

There is another hotel next door called Bailbrook House which is a much larger property 70 or 80 rooms and I think there is a bit of confusion between the two of them. The one I stayed at was a small 15 room hotel at 35/37 London Road West Bath BA1 7HZ called Bailbrook Lodge.

This hotel is what I think overseas visitors imagine when they think of an elegant English country hotel, well it was what I had always imagined it should be from TV and movies. No lift in the hotel as far as I could tell and with the very high ceilings the climb to my room on the first floor was enough with luggage, so a second floor room would be a real hike.

My room number 25, not sure how they number them as there are only 15 rooms was called the Beau Nash Suite and while the staff didn’t know who Beau Nash was I found out from the internet that he was master of ceremonies in Bath in the early 1700’s and made sure the right people of the time attended the right events and help promote Bath to a position of prominence in high society of the day.

The room in my opinion was a perfect English country hotel room very elegant and very large and with very high ceilings. It had a large four poster canopy bed, fireplace, two seat sofa, two easy chairs, desk and further chair and a magnificent view out through a very tall bow window which had what looked like the original wooden shutters overlooking the manicured grounds and the valley and hills in the distance.

The room had everything you could need, LCD TV with a decent selection of channels, wifi access, tea and coffee facilities, in room safe, robes, slippers, dvd player and a very English fur covered hot water bottle and plenty of space and the tiniest little fridge I have ever seen about barely big enough for half a dozen cans if that.

A very new shower room was off the bedroom and very stylish and modern and a contrast to the traditional hotel room, the sink however was outside the shower room in the bedroom.

I guess there were a couple of odd things to non English guests, one being the trouser press which looks a bit out of place given it’s prominent position in the room and the other is the odd placement of the hairdryer beside the bed and not near the sink and mirror.

Breakfast in the morning was a very traditional affair with a good choice of food all served in a very elegant setting with great service. Next to the dining room is a large guest lounge.

The manager who checked me in and showed me to my room was very helpful and for the price I paid GBP 65 for the night including breakfast I think it was excellent value.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2009

We recently stayed at this hotel in a double with en-suite bathroom. We found it very comfortable and clean. The staff were lovely and very helpful, the breakfasts were excellent. The only downside was the bathroom which was clean but rather tired looking, also the shower was quite small.
We would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Summary - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Location - dead easy to find. It may look like it's on a busy main road when you google map it but it is set well back and very peaceful. Lovely garden, lovely looking building and very typical for this area which was nice. It's not really within walking distance of Bath unless you are really determined. The scenic route over the Bathampton bridge and along the canal / river will take 45 - 60 mins, or along direct along the urban main road is dull but quicker at around 35 - 40 mins. A taxi right to the centre was only £6

Hotel - right, here's the confusion. It's NOT a hotel. It's a guest house, albeit a 4* stately home guest house, so really you should compare to B&B's rather than other 4* Hotels. I think that is where it might lose a few stars because it's somewhere between the two HOWEVER that really does make it very quaint.

Rooms: well unless you stay at a Travel Lodge they WILL vary anywhere. All independent hotel rooms vary and it is a little pot-luck as to what room you get. For us we paid £85 inc breakfast at www.booking.com and the nice lady at reception upgraded us to a 4 poster room because it was our wedding anniversary ! Our room was on the top floor and was deluxe and massive. BARGAIN. The king size bed was over 7ft wide ! Unfortunately it dipped in the middle so we only ended up using the middle 4ft of it ha ha !!! I have to say, although full of Edwardian charm and character the bed was a bit uncomfortable. The bathroom was a wet room with shower and toilet and the sink was back in the bedroom rather than the shower room but hey it was still very nice. Bit ironic though coming to BATH and getting a SHOWER lol ! After a long hard day walking around town I really needed a soak, never mind. The next day we went into Bath and did the Thermae Spa thing and 4 hours of bathing sorted me out. Lovely. Go in the early morning to avoid crowds. Hotel let us take the bathrobes and slippers so saving on renting them. Again GREAT service.
The room had TV and DVD and you could borrow (yep borrow not rent) DVD's from reception. Tea, coffee, biscuits, hair dryer, afore mentioned bath robe and slippers. in fact everything that you'd expect, want or need. Even a mini mini fridge.

Breakfast: Full English and lovely.

Service. Dan was indeed the man and very very helpful. Our room safe wouldn't lock. A quick word and it was fixed by the time we returned later that day.

This is a lovely lovely hotel. Extremely warm and friendly but very human. Dan also serves you Breakfast as well as operate reception and handy jobs. These are real nice people working here, be nice back and you'll have a lovely time. Don't moan, try asking. Share your concerns / problem don't complain - pretty good advice for anywhere you go really...

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL !

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We recently stayed at Bailbrook Lodge & found the house, staff & atmosphere fantastic.
It is ideally situated for easy access to bath centre, with free car parking on site, which so few places have in Bath.
The house was clean, with lots of character, and very friendly staff.
We enjoyed a wonderful Champagne breakfast, which was all included in the cost.
I would recommend & return hopefully very soon, a well run beautiful Georgian House.
Nick & Caroline

Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2009

This was a wonderful experience. We booked a few days in advance and arrived at around 9:30PM... tired and warn out after a day of seeing Bath. Reception was warm and welcoming and our room was spacious clean and nicely furnished. It should be noted that this is a B&B so the furnishing is quaint as should be expected. The outside was beautiful and well kept as was the dining area. The staff was extremely friendly and the shower had just been remodeled so it was very nice. It was close to the road, which was only a problem when motorcycles went past, but you can't have everything can you? Overall, it was an extremely good value and would recommend it to anyone on a budget, but not wanting to sacrifice the pleasantries of vacation.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple