“Think Twice”
Review of Bailbrook Lodge

Bailbrook Lodge
Ranked #26 of 155 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Before booking to stay at Bailbrook Lodge, I would recommend you seriously think twice.

Read the good and the bad reviews first so that you get a fair picture of peoples experience. It appears to be pot luck if you get a good one. My own recent experience was poor.

On reading again the reviews and management replies it appears that peoples feedback is not taken as a reflective opportunity to look at their business seriously and they appear to be dismissive of some of the problems. It would be nice to see a professional standard of acknowledgement, ownership, empathy and a sincere apology.

In addition they say they are not a 'Hotel' in some of the replies although there is some implied reference on their website and a huge sign on the side of their building saying 'HOTEL'.

I have memories of a bad stay and would never go back. In short they did not deserve my custom.

Room Tip: Rooms above ground level would be good, not in the basement
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Frampa2013
PatronHandR, Owner at Bailbrook Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

As one of the Bailbrook Lodge partners I wish to respond to this review.

Unfortunately the reviewer has not specified the dates he/she stayed at Bailbrook Lodge nor do they specify what aspects of their stay were unsatisfactory.

With regards to the mixture of reviews I believe I am right in saying that the ratio of good/ excellent far exceed the occasional less favourable review.

As for dealing with guests’ feedback we very much take their comments seriously and any negative comments are investigated and are responded to by either my business partner, the general manager or myself.

In view of this reviewer’s “bad memories” it would be helpful if they would be kind enough to contact me personally as to what these memories are and when they stayed with us so I can respond to any specific complaint.

I do hope that they will take the time and trouble to contact me.

Partner

Reviewed October 12, 2013

My sister and I spent one night here, and thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to stay in this charming Georgian house. It would be a bit of a hike to walk into Bath from here, but I think we could have easily taken a bus into the city if we didn't want to take the car. The breakfast was wonderful -- we started our day with a Buck's Fizz, fruit salad, Eggs Benedict and toast made with home-made brown bread. Wonderful!

Room Tip: We had a twin room on the ground floor, at the back of the house, so there was no traffic noise from...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We booked one night B&B. Very friendly welcome from the Assistant Manager, Jackie. Small room with en-suite shower but adequate. Strange to have a sheet and blanket on the bed; first time in decades have slept in a bed with this instead of a duvet! Small bar in residents' lounge where you ask a member of staff to pour you a drink. Open until 10pm. Breakfast OK but not impressed with tinned mushrooms. Reasonable price for accommodation in Bath and OK if only staying for one night.

2  Thank LynneGosport
PatronHandR, Owner at Bailbrook Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

As one of the partners who own Bailbrook Lodge, I wish to respond to the adverse comments in this review.

Yes we do still have bed sheets (Egyptian cotton) and blankets (Merino wool), which the majority of our guests really appreciate.

I was particularly disappointed with the fact that the breakfast was considered “just OK” as we continually receive rave reviews about our award winning breakfast and as can be seen from another review posted on the 12th October. On a point of detail we do not use tinned mushrooms only fresh, and our fruit and vegetables are delivered daily Monday to Saturday by a local supplier. We also only use local sausages and free range eggs and are the only accommodation provider in Bath offering complimentary champagne at breakfast.

Partner

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Found this lovely place from this site so I booked for a surprise for my wife's birthday treat. We had a suite overlooking the front garden in this lovely period house. We had a four poster bed in this large room with an equally large bay window with views across the garden to the valley beyond. There was ground coffee available in the room as well as tea with a pot, which makes a nice change! There was an en suite wet room and plenty of toiletries supplied. We also had dressing gowns supplied. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the breakfast complete with complementary champagne was freshly cooked to order, it was great. We were even more surprised at finding the Lodge full when we came downstairs as we had not heard a thing during the night or first thing! We had a superb week end in Bath which is only 35 mins walk away for the fit an able if not there is a good bus service nearby. We highly recommend the Lodge and will go back again.

2  Thank ratnoir
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Location for me was good, access to motorway very quick.
Very nice staff, helpful and friendly ladies. Breakfast was very good, nice choice. Room was a little small but perfectly formed. Will return.

Room Tip: try a 4 poster, got a look at one through an open door much bigger room if your there for more than...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank john p
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had a rather strange stay at Bailbrook lodge.
We booked a one night stay over the phone and decided to take up the offer of a four poster bed, champagne cream tea and spa passes. The receptionist confirmed several times that our room was a 4 poster bed room.
On arrival we were told we would have to use the cream tea voucher that day (despite it being nearly 7pm just after we had eaten). We were told at the time of booking that this could be used either on the day of arrival or on departure. After trying to explain this to the manager we were told no. It had to be used that day. I couldn't really see why there would be any issue with using it the following day after we had vacated the room, especially when we were told on the phone that this would be fine. Instead we took a glass of champagne each and decided to just leave the scones.

We were then taken to our room which was a tiny standard double room. No four poster bed. The manager insisted that this was the deal we had booked. We were shown a printed confirmation email of the booking stating that it was a standard double room. Unfortunately "Paul" had been misspelled in my email address by the sender so I never received it.
This was rather frustrating as we were expecting one of the four poster beds which looked very nice in the pictures. Instead we were cramped in a tiny room with a wash basin next to the bed with a view looking onto the car park.
Breakfast was nice and the complimentary champagne was a bonus.
On checking out, the manager apologised and offered us a £25 discount or a complimentary bottle of champagne to take away. She explained that the staff member who took our telephone booking was a trainee and had made an error with the four poster bed and validity of cream tea voucher. Fair enough, mistakes happen but again, I don't see why using the cream tea voucher the next day should be an issue. The manager was polite but strangely obstructive on this issue!
Wouldn't stay again to be honest.

1  Thank Paul M
PatronHandR, Owner at Bailbrook Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

As one of the partners who own Bailbrook Lodge I wish to respond to this review.

The first thing is to apologise unreservedly and sincerely to these guests for the catalogue of errors for which we fully accept responsibility.

It is unfortunate that the email confirming the booking was never received and, therefore, they were quite rightly expecting a four poster room albeit the email had confirmed that we only had a standard room available on the day of their visit.

With regards to the insistence of our manager that the guests have their cream tea on the day of arrival as opposed to the following day when they were departing, again we apologise for the inflexibility displayed on this occasion which is simply out of context with our policy of trying at all times to meet the requests of our guests. Our manager has accepted that this was an inexcusable error on her part and has offered her apologies.

As I know that these unfortunate circumstances are far from the norm of what we offer our guests at Bailbrook Lodge we will be inviting these guests to return to enjoy one of our delightful four poster rooms at a date convenient to them, with our compliments.

Owner

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in the beautiful hot Summer we had this year. It isn't actually a hotel but more of a guest house. The breakfast was excellent and the Champagne a nice touch. The room had a lovely view and we were accommodated according to our request for a view and 4 poster bed. I didn't realise though that the room would only have a small shower cubicle with the washbasin outside the bathroom. Perhaps it would be useful for the owners to make it clear that it is necessary to request the preferred option between bath and shower at the booking stage as it isn't clear and is too late when you have arrived. I prefer a bath. Another problem was the lack of bathrobes supposed to be in the room. The reason given was that they hadn't been returned from the laundry - a reason that has been given in previous reviews but clearly still not acted upon. By the time we got them on the evening of the second day they weren't really any use so were not used. We needed them on the first morning to get ready for a wedding so had to manage without. The lack of a restaurant was a small inconvenience but we were recommended to visit a local pub restaurant quite close to the hotel and that proved to be good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a shower or bath according to your preference at the point of booking. Larger ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bailbrook_Lodge, Manager at Bailbrook Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for staying with us at Bailbrook Lodge.

We are high quality 4 star guest accomadation not a hotel.

I apologise for the late arrival of your bathrobes due to the late arrival of our laundry supplies that day. This was rectified as soon as we were able.

The building is listed which does limit any significant changes to the structure. Your room had a "wet room" bathroom with a discrete sink at the entrance to the bathroom.

If you state your preference for a room with a bath on booking, we are always happy to meet your requirements, subject to room availability.

I hope this did not mar your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Bailbrook Lodge in the future,

Regards,