“Two days of Comfort & Good Humour”
Review of Bailbrook Lodge

Bailbrook Lodge
Ranked #24 of 155 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The reception, room and catering staff were all exceptionally responsive and polite, with good humour in all our contact over the two days we were there.. Their responses to any request were immediate, polite and to the point.

Breakfast menu was high quality, vastly varied and exactly what we wanted.

Would happily return anytime and will recommend to our friends and colleagues.

3  Thank Richard H

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I'm so glad that I ignored the unfavourable reviews!

Bailbrook Lodge was ideal for my needs: somewhere to sleep and eat breakfast for 2 nights with good access to Bath, but without the noise that city-centre hotels can bring.

Do note that rooms at the 'back' of the house have lovely green views, but that it's not 'countryside quiet' as there is an A-road not far away; this did not disturb me during the night, however (perhaps because I live next to a main road which has 24 hour traffic, so it was comparatively quiet!).

I stayed in a standard twin room. It would have felt cramped had I not been travelling alone, but if you're not planning to spend lots of time in your room, this shouldn't be a problem. It's a charming old house, so if you don't expect spacious rooms, you won't then be disappointed.

I would have preferred a shower rather than the lovely slipper bath, but as I wasn't in any hurry to be anywhere, so it wasn't an issue for this weekend.

I didn't notice any noise coming from neighbouring rooms, which is very unusual - don't know if it was super-considerate guests or good sound-proofing.

The breakfast was lovely (and served until 10am at weekends): freshly cooked to order using high quality ingredients with a good selection of fruit salad, cereals, croissants while you wait for the main event. The coffee was very good: I'm no expert on coffee, but it tasted nice and fresh! I declined the glass of champagne at breakfast because it was such a hot day and I had some serious shopping to do, but I thought it was a lovely touch.

The staff were welcoming and friendly, and happy to book a taxi to travel into town (which always arrived quickly).

I'm thinking about bringing my husband next time!

Room Tip: It's an old house - don't expect standard rooms to be spacious and then you won't be dis...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Zoe S
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Not really what it seems, all a bit shabby, our room was small, with the sink in the bedroom and a mouldy shower and toilet in what could only be described as a cupboard not an en-suite as described. The bed had sheets and a fuzzy blanket on! No duvet .... Breakfast was OK ... But all in all very disappointed... They take half the money when you book, which to me is always a bad sign... Location is NOT near the city centre .... It's a cab ride away !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
DanielTebbutt, General Manager at Bailbrook Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for staying with us at Bailbrook Lodge.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. Bailbrook Lodge is a listed building and as such we have building restrictions. One third of our rooms are large 4 poster bedded rooms which are double the size of our standard rooms. We employ a profesional designer to produce a scheme for each bedroom in keeping with the age of the building which dates from 1823.

All rooms have either a shower or bath, which are cleaned daily to a high standard and I am puzzled as to how mould could have eluded our inspections.

We charge £40 per room deposit, which is standard practice within the hotel industry..

We use Merino blankets in preference to duvets. Our breakfasts have won an award for the quality and choice .All produce is sourced locally. Our orange juice is freshly pressed and we serve Champagne at breakfast not sparking wine.

As well as the traditional English breakfast we serve scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, Eggs Benedict, kippers as well as a cold buffet with fresh fruit salad, yogurts and croissants

I apoligise for not meeting your expectations and I do hope you will return to Bailbrook Lodge. On your next visit try one of our four poster rooms which I am confident that you will find very spacious.

Regards,

Justine Lewis, Manager, Bailbrook Lodge

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights at this charming location. The Room we were given was at the top of the House and could only be reached by relatively steep stairs, that being said, the room was spotless, well stocked and there was a nice view towards the hills surrounding Bath. The Staff were very friendly and the meals provided for breakfast were ample and well cooked. We would stay there again as it is a lovely Hotel and in an excellent location as a base to explore Bath and the surrounding area which is beautiful. The only proviso is that the stairs may not be suitable for the elderly or infirm.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Danny K
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night break to celebrate 2 birthdays,the room was on the 2nd floor and somewhat blue.Cramped for 2 people with a wash basin alongside the bed as opposed to in the bathroom,it was generally clean and tidy.The hot water could take up to 12 minutes to come through but once it did it was constant.The mattress was very soft but you will never please everyone with a mattress,strangely though it was smaller than the base.Hanging space was at a minimum as the wardrobe also doubles up as a television shelf. Room service daily,though on one occasion on leaving my towels in the shower to be replaced they were still there on my return.Staff were very friendly and polite and breakfast was very nice.A word of warning though,if you are sat alone in the back room then service may take a while,I waited 15 minutes before locating the waitress but then there were a lot of guests leaving.Good value and no point was big enough to bring to managements attention. If you intend to walk to Bath I'm a 45 yr old male and it took me 35 minutes at a brisk pace. A better option is the no 13 bus every 20 minutes at £2.50 each way.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
DanielTebbutt, General Manager at Bailbrook Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Bailbrook Lodge was built in 1823 and is subject to strict planning controls.
All rooms vary in size and we are the only accomadation provider in Bath who can offer 1/3 of their rooms as very large Four Poster bedded rooms, which you may wish to reserve on your next visit.
Because all our bedrooms vary in size and shape our furniture was designed and made to measure.
Apologies that your towels were not changed, this should have been noted when checked by management.
There is a constant supply of hot water and our maintenance manager is puzzled as to why there was a delay in hot water reaching you.
Breakfast is only served in the lounge when the restaurant is full and unfortunately the waitress thought that you were relaxing in the lounge hence the delay in asking you through to the dining room.
I am delighted that the staff were helpful and polite and that you enjoyed your breakfast.
Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Bailbrook Lodge.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Great hotel! The staff were so helpful it made the weekend even more special. Jackie, the assistant manager was a joy, and the excellent breakfast which included champagne got each day off to a wonderful start. The gardens are a lovely place to sit and relax in the afternoons, and a bus stop nearby meant we didn't have to use the car to get around the city. I would certainly use again!!

Room Tip: If you want a room with a shower, make sure you ask for one. Ours had a slipper bath, which was lov...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013

It was a lovely weekend at Bailbrook lodge. All the staff were very friendly and accommodating. The four poster room we had was very spacious and had a wet room.

The views were amazing and breakfast was fantastic...We recommend the poached eggs..best ever!

Parking was available and there was an easy bus route from right outside going into town.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple