Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
  • Room Service
$111
$104
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Express Bath(Bath)(Great Value!)
$89
$87
  • Breakfast included
The Abbey Hotel(Bath)(Great Value!)
$103
Agoda.com
$105
PremierInn.com
1,224 results
All reviewshop pole innwedding coordinatorwedding venuebuffet styleminute drivelovely buildingwater pressurekippersone night staytop floorfour poster bedtea and coffeeshort breakbiscuitsvisit batha lovely staysatnav
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Impressive looking building and surroundings, rooms tastefully decorated with traditional furnishings. Plenty of tea/coffee etc in room and bathroom had sachets of shampoo etc to see you through your stay. We only seen the staff upon check in / out but found them helpful. We paid for room only so unable to comment on the quality / service of breakfast. If looking for somewhere nice and quiet to stop (with great pub at the end of the drive) we'd recommend this place, it's located approx 6 miles from Bath so easy to access the shops and restaurants in the evening too.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Gooba

Thank you for your recent review. I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found your guest room to your liking with a full complement of facilities.

Your feedback is very welcome, as are all our customers’ comments as this enables us to maintain and improve our standards and services for all our guests to enjoy.

Thank you for choosing the Limpley Stoke Hotel, we do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed overnight in a corner room with stunning views over rolling hills. Peaceful hotel and lovely large rooms. As we could not check in until very late, the hotel arranged our keys to be left for us, as the desk is not manned 24 hours a day. Breakfast was great but staff a little bit regimental with their timings when breakfast was over!

Plenty of parking and taxis to the town centre are around £15.00 and take about 10-20mins depending on traffic. Traffic is heavy in Bath at weekends.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Natasha O

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Many of our guest rooms offer stunning views of the local countryside and I was pleased to read that you had the opportunity to experience these views from your room.

I will pass on your comments to all of the staff that helped make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable. We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Thank you for choosing the Limpley Stoke Hotel.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

On arriving at the hotel the reception was empty so we made our way to the main bar, that was fine but there wasn't any staff about we had to go and ask someone in another room to serve us a drink, later we seen a sign on the bar to telephone for service unfortunately there were bottles in front of the sign so we couldn't see it before , we told the barman that we were booked in for lunch ,he replied that's fine. We sat there having a drink from 12.15 to 13.00 we then made our way to the restaurant ,where a girl who seemed to be in charge of a list of names including ours tried to persuade us to go back in another lounge for mulled wine and hors d'oeruvers which by this time we didn't want as we were ready for our lunch but she still carried on trying us to go and help ourselves to mulled wine (it was to late ??) There was no atmosphere anywhere or background music it was very strange.

The starter was good but when the Christmas lunch was served I was devastated it was awful , two round pieces of turkey slapped in the middle of a plate .two balls of stuffing that had obviously been taken out of a packet and fried or boiled! under cooked roast potatoes, a dish of mixed veg, we found one sprout amongst this melody of festive rubbish and hardly any gravy. the desert a chocolate dish was vey nice. We then left the restaurant and made our own way to another room where I think before hand they must have been serving the mulled wine etc by this time it was about 2.15 the cold flasks of coffee tea etc were still on the server left from earlier ,we sat there on our own again no atmosphere just the fire and us ,a member of staff was sat at the bar in the a joining room after a while she and another guy then started putting glasses away in boxes and dismantling the central point where the mulled wine must have been served earlier ,it was great seeing her take down the two grubby beer crates that was under the table cloth, they were chatting away between themselves ,after a while the fresh tea and coffee appeared but no mince pies like we were expecting . In all it was an awful rubbish experience ,never again will we use or recommend this hell hole of a place .

Avril Walley

1  Thank Phil9000
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Phill9000

Thank you for your review. I would like to start by assuring you that we take all our customer feedback very seriously indeed and your comments are very welcome and will certainly be used to help us further improve our standards and services.

I would also like to take moment to point out that the hotel received many positive comments from other guests attending the Christmas Day Lunch hosted at the hotel. However this was clearly not the case with regards to your experience, the management and staff at the hotel strive to exceed customer expectation at every opportunity and provide a high level of customer service that they pride themselves on, I sincerely apologise that we could not achieve this for you.

Your valued feedback will be discussed with the hotel management and action taken to rectify and resolve any identifiable areas that fall below our own high expectations.

We would very much like the opportunity to offer our hospitality to you once again so that you may experience the level of service and quality that we pride ourselves on and that so many others have positively commented on. Should you wish to make a restaurant reservation for a future visit please do not hesitate to contact me directly on operations@latonaleisuregroup.com and I will be only too pleased to personally assist you with making a reservation and I can assure you of an enjoyable and memorable experience. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Went to this hotel with my husband on a coach tour for a 4 day break for Christmas.
The hotel is an old creaky place, full of nooks and crannies, floors that are uneven, lovely log fires in lounge and bar, just what we wanted. If you're after a modern hotel with nouvelle cuisine, this is not the place for you!
Our bedroom was quite large (we did phone before and asked for a large room with a view) It was clean and very comfortable and a fantastic view.
The staff was friendly, helpful and polite. We arrived at the hotel on Monday evening much later than predicted due to the weather and we were given a warm welcome. .much appreciated!
On Christmas Eve afternoon the hotel had a power cut (weather again) but the log fire was burning and the wine was flowing!
Christmas lunch was lovely. The dinning room was well decorated, huge Christmas tree, candles on every tables, crackers, even the chairs had been dressed for the occasion. It was all very festive. The food was very good and hot and more than enough compare to other places we've been..
Boxing day, after visiting Bath in the morning, we came back to a lovely buffet lunch. The gammon and the roast beef (pink the way we like it) was delicious.
Breakfast is a help yourself affair with full English breakfast, scrambled eggs, cereal, fruits, croissants, toasts etc. I asked for a poached egg on toast and it was perfect. You can order kippers, porridge as well.
We very much enjoyed our stay at Limpley Stoke and would love to go back in the summer, it's such a peaceful and lovely location. Thank you to all the staff of Limpley Stoke hotel. PS: the pub at the end of drive is open and very quaint

Room Tip: We had room 15 and it was a good size with a beautiful view. Ring before if you have special request.
2  Thank Rolande R
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Rolande R

Thank you for your review. I was very pleased to read that both you and your husband thoroughly enjoyed your four-night break with us over the Christmas Holiday period. The staff at the hotel strive to maintain a high level of customer service and it is always a pleasure to read when they have helped make a guests stay that little more enjoyable. I will be sure to pass on your feedback and comments which I know they will enjoy reading.

Thank you for choosing the Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, we do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again this summer.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Having decided on a Christmas break this year and upon choosing the Limpley Stoke Hotel, I contacted the hotel direct by telephone at the beginning of November. I was unable to speak to a member of staff for information regarding their Christmas break as the person answering the 'phone could not supply the information I required and after several telephone calls I left a message for the Manager, Mr David Perkins to contact me. He rang and assured me that I could book this break and after putting the inefficiency of my first contact aside and giving them the benefit of the doubt, I placed our booking.

On arrival on Monday 23rd December we checked in with reception and was asked to register by a rather sullen member of staff and were not given any welcome bearing in mind this was our first visit and we had just driven 240 miles in extremely challenging weather.

A coach party arrived later that day and we were led to believe we would all gather for a pre-dinner drink with the Manager. Drinks were laid out in the lounge but the Manager did not appear and we did not see him anytime during our stay.

The hotel was in a beautiful setting and a real country house hotel and we were looking forward to an enjoyable stay. Our room was comfortable with all facilities and we were helped with our luggage.

However the general atmosphere for a Christmas break was non-existent and the staff were to say the least uninterested and unwelcoming. The hotel website states "elegant spacious public rooms...... It offers the opportunity to relax in the peaceful Georgian lounge in front of the roaring log fires during the winter months." The large lounge had fireplaces at each end neither of which were lit. On one occasion a member of staff started one of the fires with some kindling which inevitably went out as he did not return!

At no time during our stay were we given an itinerary of our break (no information left in our room) and when I asked at reception, I was given a list for the four days with no timings or indication as to where meals etc would be.

Having coffee in the bar after dinner one evening, the tray was left along with other glasses and cups and was not cleared until much later in the evening particularly as the Duty Manager passed through the bar several times. We do not expect this situation in a lower grade establishment much less at a hotel purporting to be of a high calibre.

We were so disappointed at not receiving the service, attention and welcome we would expect from such a hotel, particularly at Christmas we decided to check out early and drive home on Christmas Day morning. You can imagine now fed up we both were to make the decision to drive back home (240 miles) on Christmas Day.

What a let down to what should have been an enjoyable and relaxing time. If companies expect to survive in the current climate when customers have to think twice about how to spend their hard earned money, the total inefficiently and laid back attitude of the staff must warrant some serious training.

The website also states "Privately owned and managed, The Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel combines quality accommodation, offering friendly attentive service with a warm West Country welcome."

As we have both worked in business all our lives, we believe that the responsibility for a correctly and efficiently run establishment should fall to the Manager who unfortunately was no where to be seen over the Christmas period.

On reading the previous review of the people who booked in for their Christmas Day lunch, how glad we were that we decided to return home and relax in our own surroundings with food which was edible!

Dear Chrissie239

Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed and surprised to read your comments regarding your recent stay over the Christmas Holiday period. As you can read from many previous reviews the dedicated management and staff at the hotel are in the main praised for their attentive customer service and welcoming and friendly nature, this was obviously not the case during your recent visit.

I would like to assure you that your feedback is taken very seriously indeed and your comments will be discussed with the hotel general manager and his team to ensure a similar situation does not arise again at any future point.

I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our Georgian period property hotel, which we are very proud of and I certainly agree with you that our location and setting is wonderful. I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding your guest room and your high scoring of our value, location, sleep quality, rooms and cleanliness.

I would kindly ask that you contact myself directly via email on operations@latonaleisuregroup.com so that I may offer a personal and sincere apology and hopefully entice you back for a future stay so that we can offer you the hospitality and service that we pride ourselves on.

Thank you for choosing the Limpley Stoke Hotel, I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon. I look forward to hearing from you soon.