“Great hotel in bath”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We had a large double which was great. The breakfast is one of the best included breakfasts I have had. Not only is there a nice buffet, but you can order terrific food off the menu as well at no additional cost. The location is perfect for the town as well the tour company meets right outside the hotel if you want to go see the Cotswolds or Stonehenge. Friendly staff and an all around great hotel. The fan worked fine, but air cond would be a nice addition if it were hotter out, but it was fine for the days we were there.

Room Tip: Go for the large double if you can.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Booked this hotel as it was very near to the main Bath attractions plus we are Best Western Card holders. We were not disappointed. The hotel is right by the Avon, just around the corner from the Roman Baths, The Abbey and the Thermae Bath Spa plus central to the vast number of shops and restaurants.We booked a 'larger room' as some reviews indicated the small rooms were - small. Our room had two 3ft single beds that could be joined to make a very large double, plus two huge settees. TV and tea/coffee were in the room plus two daily complimentary bottles of water. Large bathroom with bath/shower and masses of hot water. Large towels changed daily plus bath robes and slippers. Staff were always very helpful and welcoming. We were B&B and the breakfasts were superb. None of this 'serve yourself from hot dishes' where the scrambled eggs become like india rubber and everything else is cool. The hot breakfasts were cooked fresh and served at the table. Good selection too of fruit juices/water plus fresh fruit salad (not the tinned stuff), cereals and cheese/ham etc.
I know some people have commented upon the lack of air conditioning and I have to say the rooms were very warm - but then so was everywhere else!!
There was some building work going on but this did not start until after 9am and ended at 4pm and we never saw or heard them as we were out all day.
We pre-booked the twilight tour of the Roman Baths and the meal in the Kitchen opposite. Well worth doing. We did the Thermae Spa first thing on a Monday and very few people were there for the 2 hours we had.
Superb City and will go back to this Hotel. My wife has already ticked off the shops she wants to visit!!

Room Tip: Would opt for a 'Larger Room'. Costs a little bit more but worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear AshtdMan

Thank you for your review from your recent visit to us. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, we are indeed well located for exploring Bath, the main sites are literally on our doorstep. Good to hear that we set you up for the day with a great breakfast too.

I hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to Bath.

Best wishes

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful visit. The hotel's location is centrally located and easy walking distance to the main sites.

Bath is a great walking town and very historic. The hotel has the same feeling. Modern amenities (no A/C!) in a quirky building.

Stayed: July 2014

Hi BrianPack

Thank you for your kind words, so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Abbey and discovering Bath, I hope we can welcome you back on a future visit. More Air Con being installed for next year too!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Just spent a week here with my elderly mother. Ideal location in the centre of Bath and we were able to hire an electric scooter from the Shopmobility centre which is only 200 yards away. Food was excellent, staff friendly and helpful. We had two rooms on the ground floor which were spacious, well equipped and clean. Despite the hot, humid weather, the rooms were comfortable as fans had been provided.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I booked this hotel via booking.com under prepaid rate and provided credit card details. Later I got the notice that hotel can't charge my credit card. I was surprised as this card has successfully paid for many hotels + tour + train tickest in UK. However, I still changed to another card. Again they said the card was failed. I called booking.com and the girl said hotel staff would check with their manager on the second day and would let me know the follow-ups. Then I got no further contacts from them and I think they solved the issue. Suddenly in the morning of my international departure day, I was informed by an email that my rooms were cancelled without any pre-alert. I called booking.com urgently, the girl said the room was cancelled by hotel and she can't do anything for me. If I still want to have the room, the only choice is to re-book the rooms at higher rate. It was 3 days before my arrival and I was going to be on board an international flight to a foreign country. I had no choice but booked Abbey again at a higher rate. To my surprise, when I arrived in the hotel and they still had issues on charging my credit card even when it was swiped on their machine. Finally they solved it via entering the card number to their machine. I used this credit cards in over 40 hotels, restaurants, stores in UK during the trip this time, everyone is OK with it. It seems it was due to the issue of their machine, not because of my credit card. In that case, why I should pay more than original because of the hotel machine issue? And it's very rude and irresponsible attitude to cancel my booking shortly before arrival without advance notice. I talked to both hotel and booking.com about this issue, and none of them are willing to resolve it. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sunny512014

Dear Sunny 512014 - Problem with China Union Pay

Thank you for your comments above relating to the problems you experienced with your reservation via Booking.Com. We have been experiencing problems with China Union Pay Cards specifically via our PDQ operator. This is an issue we have been working to resolve – any cards operated via Visa, Master Card or American Express can be processed but those that are China Union Pay will not authorise a pre-payment. We are continuing to work to resolve this issue for guests wishing to pay with China Union Pay cards.
We do apologise for the problems you experienced which were complicated further because the reservation was not direct but via Booking.Com and there are processes that we need to go through to adhere to there T&C’s .
Please accept our apologies for the problems you experienced with payment.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have just come back from an amazing weekend at this hotel. My friends and I were celebrating my big birthday. Everything was wonderful, the staff couldn't do enough to help, the rooms (cosy doubles) were lovely and the food was out of this world! We had a private dining area called "The Bolt Hole" and it was a superb experience. On Sunday morning we ate our breakfast outside on the terrace - fabulous! Everyone agreed that we would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Great location in centre of a Bath next to the Abbey. Paid for larger room which was nice but bathroom poor with cracked tiles and dirty floor. Access to room 131 was confusing as it is stuck at back of hotel along corridor shared by kitchen staff crossing to restaurant This meant floor was slippery in places and stairwell smelled strongly of food.
Staff inattentive and appeared poorly trained.
Shame. Hotel promises so much but sadly did not deliver.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terry M
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

Dear Terry M
Thank you for your review, I appreciate that on a couple of levels we did not meet your expectations.
With reference to the Bathrooms, we re-plumbed the hotel in the early part of this year to allow us to refurbish all the bathrooms and install more powerful showers and of course much improve the overall look. This work will begin later this year and every bathroom will be refitted from top to toe, please do come and stay to experience the rooms then.

Our exceptional service is often commented on by reviewers, at the time of your visit we had some very new members of the team and they are less familiar with our very high service standards. Further training has been undertaken, but I do apologise that you did not receive our usual very high levels of guest service. I hope you will try us on a future visit to Bath.