“Daughters Wedding in Bath”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Daughters Wedding in Bath”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We booked 4 rooms for our daughters wedding. Wonderful location and such a lovely hotel. One of our guests had two little children with her - the check in receptionist was so helpful and polite - so nice after a long and difficult drive. Our wedding was early and we asked if it was possible for us to have our room for a further day - the system said the hotel was fully booked and to ask after breakfast when the 'day' staff arrived. By the time we had finished breakfast they had re-arranged it and we were accommodated! We cannot speak highly enough about the hotel and staff, from check-in to housekeeping. Only one member of staff let the hotel down - such a shame - however everyone else definitely made up for it. We plan on returning for a longer stay and enjoy being there without the 'stress' of a wedding. Yes- the building work is going on but it really doesn't spoil anything - that's part of life.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. I was aware that the lift was being refurbished but didn't think that would matter so much. What I wasn't told either on booking, or on the rather brusque check in, was that the basement had work going on as well. When I arrived in my room at 4:20pm - a room just above the basement where the work was happening - there was a note advising you of the work going on between 9am and 4pm. The window in my room was covered with a film depicting a hot air balloon - this blanked out the view of the basement with all of the building materials. It also made the room dark and I couldn't open the window because of the noise! I asked to be moved and explained that I wished to work from my room before check out at 11am in the morning and could do with some natural light and less noise. I was then put on the 3rd floor. At 9am the next morning the (lovely and polite) workmen were in the corridor outside and the roof above my room. They explained that they were upgrading the plumbing throughout the hotel. They were very apologetic and noted the irony of my 'do not disturb' sign! If only the hotel had been a bit more honest about the extent of the work they were having done. Admittedly they wouldn't have had my booking this time, but they would have had my future bookings. On a positive the breakfast and staff serving it were lovely.

• Stayed January 2014
bath
Reviewed February 6, 2014

After a recent visit for dinner with a group of Bath accommodation owners I was so impressed that I bought my son back for a treat. We went for the fixed price early dinner option and for the quality of the food and service offered it was a bargain. Delightful belly of pork was followed with the best sticky toffee pudding ever. I wish I could describe the wonderful flavours involved, you will just have to experience it yourself!
Welcoming reception staff and friendly and helpful waiting staff complete the experience and we will be back for more.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
London
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We were part of the same group as below (19 people ranging from 14 months to 70 years old) and have to say that we don't agree with their review at all. The food was good and very fairly priced at £15 for 2 courses and £21 for 3. The desserts in particular were highly remarked upon. The staff were courteous and professional. Their assistance in the pre-planning of the event (two birthdays and three generations of the same family) was brilliant and they couldn't have been more helpful, even allowing us to bring in our own birthday cakes at the end of the meal. It would seem one of our guests did not enjoy the food but the event, the venue and the lunch was a great success, aided by The Allium and its staff. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

You would have thought that Bath was overflowing with tearooms - wrong! On researching afternoon tea for my friend's birthday, the Allium Brasserie at the Bath Abbey Hotel came up, so we went there today. Lovely choice of sandwiches, warm scones and plenty of cream and jam. Lovely service too (on the day and when I booked over the phone), and they provided plenty of coffee as we didn't want tea. A very good choice; I would recommend this to locals and tourists alike, and we will definitely return again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Jayne_H_W

Delighted to read your review of Afternoon Tea, you are so right Bath has a multitude of venues so we have set our stall out to offer something a little bit special and I am delighted to read from your comments that you enjoyed the experience.

If you can visit again in May we are offering a Bath in Fashion Afternoon tea which will be very special indeed.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My partner booked this hotel for a surprise for me for our 8 year Anniversary. I was shocked to see how much he payed, and was excited to see what we had in store! We stayed in a large room with a kingsize bed (2 singles pushed together!) the room wasn't very modern and it had a very tired and old bathroom! The sofa bed was very dirty, just as well we wasn't sleeping on there. It did say in the confirmation e-mail we would have a complimentary newspaper, we didn't receive this! On the website when my partner booked the hotel it also said we would receive a bottle of wine, apparently when I queried this it shouldn't of been on there, for the price it should of just been mandatory to receive this! The room was absolutely sweltering, we were on the bottom floor so didn't really want to open the large windows, we had the air-con on all night but it didn't blow out very cold air. We didn't get much sleep at all due to being so hot, so you can imagine how we felt when the alarm clock in the room wasn't reset from the previous guests, and went off at 7am! Breakfast was really nice, but the staff were rushing around like mad making it feel really busy! Overpriced hotel for no luxury, very disappointed. When we spoke to the lady at reception she said she would e-mail us a discount for our next stay, only problem is, there wont be a next stay!

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Stacey

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay, I am extremely sorry to read your comments and will contact you to discuss in person each point that you have raised.

Leeds, UK
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Went for a Saturday night catch-up with the girls. Booked two adjacent twin rooms and got just that. In fact, I booked via one hotel booking site with a decent pay on arrival rate but later changed to a much cheaper pay in advance rate once all the girls could confirm their stay and the hotel email to check the change. That's what I call service - and it continued on arrival.

We were notified the lift was out of order being fixed and our bags were offered to be carried to our 2nd floor rooms - we declined.

The location is so central - minutes from everywhere, easy walk from the station and various car parks. We were allocated nice quiet rooms, with the most comfy beds and decent bathrooms overlooking a small square. We had our window open at night (hurrah for a hotel that allows that) and was not disturbed by any late night city centre noises. We weren't even really aware of the church clock chimes. We woke up to very excited, cooing pigeons - that was to hear them not be woken by them. Only niggle was no shower cap (and none at reception) as I'd forgotten to take one.

The place was busy in the bar and restaurant and with people staying but was not noisy nor appeared crowded.

We're so impressed we're seriously considering booking for next year's get together. I totally recommend this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: We had 202 and 203 which, with 201, were on their own so hardly any corridor traffic.