“weekend Break”

Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Bath
newport, gwent
“weekend Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed for a weekend Christmas shopping with a friend, very friendly staff and hotel was comfortable and clean, only criticism is that one member of the reception staff kept me waiting while she finished texting on her mobile phone before asking if she could assist.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

The hotel is in a good location, literally less then 5 minutes from bath spa station, and theme bath spa. Stayed 2 nights with my boyfriend the service was good, very friendly and the hotel was nice also, its right in the middle of everything has me and my partner didn't drive up so the hotel located in the main city. We did a tour to Stonehenge also and the coach stops right outside our hotel, so the whole trip we didn't have to catch a cab everything right near. The only down hill I can think of is there a construction site opposite so early mornings u may hear them. Other than that I really enjoyed my stay and defo be back

• Stayed November 2013
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Chrissy

Thank you for your kind words, delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our great location that makes exploring Bath so easy! Please accept our apologies for the noise you experienced this building work will be completed next week.

Best Wishes

The Abbey Hotel Team
Frome, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I had the pre concert dinner at the Abbey Hotel last Saturday and it was a great experience. The staff were charming and very helpful even though the hotel was clearly busy.
As a recently diagnosed coeliac, I am very anxious about eating our because even a tiny amount of gluten makes me very very ill. However, the waiter was very knowledgable, the menu, though short, offered me several safe choices and the food was delicious. Between the four of us we sampled most of the available options and each was well balanced and beautifully cooked. I was even offered gluten free bread.
A lovely start to the evening - thank you!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear GFGranny

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it is not always easy to be restricted to dietary guidelines especially when you want to go out and have some fun. We are delighted that our menu worked for you and that you had a great evening. The early supper menu runs every day so do come back and see us again.

The Allium Team
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Our room was comfortable (although a bit hot without A/C in a heat wave) and very conveniently located. Parking was a challenge due to the limited number of spaces and the cost, but once that was handled, everything in Bath in within walking distance. The staff was friendly. There are many restaurants nearby. Street noise and seagulls disturbed our sleep, but I imagine that happens nearly everywhere in this town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Eliz375

Thank you for your review following your stay in the summer when we were enjoying a very unusual heat wave, I am sorry if the room temperature was a little hot but if we are lucky enough to enjoy a great summer next year we will certainly have this resolved.

Hope that we can welcome you back to Bath when you are next travelling in the UK.

Kind Regards

The Abbey Hotel Team
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I arranged to meet my disabled friend from overseas who was staying at your hotel for her holidays.
Due to bad weather I arrived too late for lunch (my disabled mother was also with me) – I called my friend to let her know we would be late. She told me she would meet us in the lounge.
On arrival I found that she had been unable to wait in the lounge/bar due to a group who had ‘Booked’ this venue. This meant that she had had to wait several hours in the dining room. We joined her at her table there.
We were having drinks and talking and then asked to move as the ‘Group’ needed our table as they would not have enough space elsewhere. We were then allowed into the Bar area after the ‘Group’ moved into the dining room!!
We arranged to have dinner in the restaurant after the ‘Group’ were settled in and on their first course.
We decided to eat from the ‘Table d’Hote’ menu. One of the Team Leaders in the dining room boasted that you hold 3AA star rosettes – I do not know this was achieved? My plate was cold and the fish not very warm. I did not complain as I did not want to upset my friend.

She ordered the pear and frangipan dessert and found a bristle from a pastry brush in this. I persuaded her to send it back – she was given a replacement with a lukewarm apology.

I called my friend on Saturday about 3.30pm and discovered that again she could not use the bar/lounge for her cucumber sandwiches as it had once again been booked for a ‘Group’ for a lecture and would have to eat them in her room!!

I would not use this hotel or recommend it to anyone.

2 Thank Christine7000
Dear Christine 7000

I appreciated the opportunity to speak with your friend whilst you were staying with us, the opportunity to discuss your stay personally was greatly appreciated. It was regrettable that a group had requested private use of the lounge areas, this is most certainly not the norm and we will ensure it is managed more sympathetically in the future.

With kind regards

Ian Taylor
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

A restful weekend break good service and a convenient position for Bath's amenities but parking is in public car park and a little expensive. Dining is in pleasant surroundings and quality of food and service was excellent. As was pre drinks in the hotel bar.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in late October. Hotel is located in the heart of the city, within 2 blocks of the train and bus stations.

Hotel was clean; the room was comfortable and temperature controlled. Very quiet - we did not hear any activity from the hall or other rooms. Staff were friendly and accommodating.

Breakfast was above average and included in the price of the hotel - there is a cold buffet and a large a la carte selection including smoked salmon, eggs benedict, etc

Do not be put off by the fact that it is part of a chain of hotels. It looks like and is run like a boutique hotel. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
abbeyhoteloperations, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Diane

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the experience and as you say we are perfectly located for exploring the city.

Your comments about the hotel feeling like a boutique property are very accurate we are in fact under private ownership with a very hands on approach which we are delighted to hear you felt came across.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

The Abbey Hotel