“Wonderful weekend in Bath”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Poole, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful weekend in Bath”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and had a great time. The room was clean and tidy. The staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast which was included within the price was excellent. Very convenient for all facilities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
abbeyhoteloperations, Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are Delighted that you clearly had a thoroughly enjoyable visit and stay in Bath. Thank you for the positive recommendation.

We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We spent 2 nights B & B at the Abbey Hotel. location for the city is excellent. It is only rated as 3* and the rooms are in much need of refurbishment as are the stair and hall carpets that are badly worn in places. There was a lack of hot water the first morning and the shower hose and head were faulty. That said the hotel management were quick to respond and very obliging. My wife and I were overlooking the front of the hotel and it proved to be particularly noisy in the early hours of Saturday morning but that was not the fault of the hotel. Our friend were overlooking the rear 'courtyard' and slept undisturbed.
The staff were all very attentive and I could not fault any of them Breakfasts compared well with hotels of 4 and even 5* ratings.
The hotel is only a few doors away from Sally Lunn's.
Definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the rear of the hotel!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel and for your recommendation,

We are fortunate to be offering accommodation within three superb Georgian townhouse properties situated in the heart of Bath. Whilst the doors may show the patina of many visitors, and in places seem a little tired we are in the process of replacing and refurbishing many areas, the carpets being one as I write! Our interest is in offering a warm welcome and ensuring that our guests have an enjoyable stay. Thank you for your open, helpful and honest review and we look forward to seeing you back at the Abbey Hotel.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here for weekend away and found the hotel to be perfect for us. Lovely staff, clean room and great central location. Breakfast was lovely and although we chose to eat out on both nights the hotel restaurant looked very good.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Delighted that you clearly had a thoroughly enjoyable visit and stay in Bath.

Our breakfast chef takes great pride in using the best ingredients and preparing to order - it is always re-assuring to receive heartfelt appreciation. The Allium Brasserie is also a great place to eat in evening and we are proud that it is one of the top restaurants in Bath.(As per Tripadvisor reviews)

Thank you for the very positive recommendation. I hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you again to the Abbey Hotel.

Saint-Nazaire, France
Reviewed April 22, 2013

What a great hotel, right in the heart of Bath. The hotel has nice rooms clean and tidy and the staff is extremely helpfull, a great explanation of where to park and every attention is made for you... I would recommend without a doubt..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
abbeyhoteloperations, Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your review, It was very nice of you to pass along such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for the thoughtful review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel is well placed for all the attractions. A few steps away from Sally Lunns.
Parking is neaby in the Southgate shopping centre about a 7 minute walk.
We found the staff friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was good and politely served.

All in all a good hotel in a tourist busy city.

Room Tip: Book a large double. Number 307 is on the 3rd floor (Top floor) looking out towards the Catherdral.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Unlike the other reviewers I do not feel this hotel had particularly helpful or friendly service. When I arrived 2 hours early I was told my room was ready and I went upstairs to see it. It overlooked another bedroom and the kitchen fan. With the windows closed it was very loud and you could hear a constant "whirring" of the fan. I opened the window to try and see where the noise was coming from and it was basically from a very large fan down below. When you have paid quite a high price to stay for 2 nights and have booked in advance you do not expect this kind of room. When I rung the receptionist she told me that the fan would only be on until 9:30pm at night and then back on for breakfast (so basically back on at 6:30am). I told her this wasn't good enough and she explained to me the hotel was quite full and so she did not think there would be any spare rooms but she'd call me back. I never got a ring back and there was a sign outside the hotel saying they had plenty of accommodation available for that night.

I decided to go downstairs and spoke to a different receptionist who in the same patronising tone told me about how long the fan would be on for and then proceeded to tell me that I had in fact been upgraded into a cosy double from a single room. I told her I would be happy enough in a single as long as I was in a quiet room as this was a holiday and paying £87 a night was already quite a lot of money. She found a room and told me it was ready and I could go up. The room was on the third floor, front facing, bigger than my original room with a beautiful view and was a lovely size. I really can not see how a cosy double was an upgrade from the single room.

I used tripadvisor reviews before booking this hotel and I am surprised by the manager's comments to the bad reviews of the poor service at breakfast, the rude receptionists or hot and stuffy rooms by saying it is not normally like that. I think rather than keep apologising to reviewers it's important they actually do something about it. If they put a small electric fan in the cupboard this would really help because the rooms are too stuffy and my first night was awful it was far too hot and I slept with a wet towel round my head as I was boiling!! The second night was much better as I had kept the window open the whole day.

I do agree with another review who mentioned the rudeness of the two girls who serve breakfast. After asking what I wanted they would give the male restaurant staff (for lunch) eyes. It made me feel uncomfortable.

Where this hotels falls short is the service. The nicest people in the hotel were the cleaners. The waitresses at breakfast would screech at me if I sat in the wrong table, no one was there to meet you at breakfast so you never knew where to sit! And when I'd found the right table they just did not seem bothered about me and I felt like they were busy getting ready for lunch and didn't want me there. I think the best service I had was at the end of my stay when I asked the receptionist if I could leave my suitcase behind while I did some walking and picked it up later, she was very accommodating and helpful.

The restaurant and reception staff appeared very preoccupied with their restaurant and appeared to forget they were a hotel and had hotel guests staying. It seemed as if they wanted to make sure their restaurant was the best in Bath and so as a guest coming to Bath for a short holiday I did not feel well cared for at all during my stay. I was made to feel like I was a difficult guest for not being satisfied with a room facing the loud kitchen fan.

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied with a room (ie. a cosy room facing the kitchen fan) ask reception for a fr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ye Y
Thank you for your feedback which we have read with interest, we appreciate all objective and reasonable comments and your points regarding the room have been noted.

We were however disappointed by your comments regarding the unfriendly and uncaring staff as this could not be further from the truth and we are sorry that you did not feel this was so - Customer service remains our focus and as others have kindly pointed out many times through this medium, we deliver on a daily basis; occasional shortcomings, some within and others outwith our control, are regrettable and we always seek to react positively to those who, quite correctly, “keep us on our toes”.

Regards
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We spent two nights here exploring the delights of Bath. This hotel is in a fantastic location within walking distance of great pubs, shopping and the tourist things to see, just around the corner from the Roman Baths. The room was spacious, beds comfy and breakfast good. The only slight letdown was the shower...the pressure was low and when the shower was going next door there was no hot water. I do think this hotel is a very good three star hotel and excellent value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family