“The staff is always present to meet your need”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Saint-Nazaire, France
“The staff is always present to meet your need”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

What a great hotel, right in the heart of Bath. The hotel has nice rooms clean and tidy and the staff is extremely helpfull, a great explanation of where to park and every attention is made for you... I would recommend without a doubt..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
abbeyhoteloperations, Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your review, It was very nice of you to pass along such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for the thoughtful review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel is well placed for all the attractions. A few steps away from Sally Lunns.
Parking is neaby in the Southgate shopping centre about a 7 minute walk.
We found the staff friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was good and politely served.

All in all a good hotel in a tourist busy city.

Room Tip: Book a large double. Number 307 is on the 3rd floor (Top floor) looking out towards the Catherdral.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Unlike the other reviewers I do not feel this hotel had particularly helpful or friendly service. When I arrived 2 hours early I was told my room was ready and I went upstairs to see it. It overlooked another bedroom and the kitchen fan. With the windows closed it was very loud and you could hear a constant "whirring" of the fan. I opened the window to try and see where the noise was coming from and it was basically from a very large fan down below. When you have paid quite a high price to stay for 2 nights and have booked in advance you do not expect this kind of room. When I rung the receptionist she told me that the fan would only be on until 9:30pm at night and then back on for breakfast (so basically back on at 6:30am). I told her this wasn't good enough and she explained to me the hotel was quite full and so she did not think there would be any spare rooms but she'd call me back. I never got a ring back and there was a sign outside the hotel saying they had plenty of accommodation available for that night.

I decided to go downstairs and spoke to a different receptionist who in the same patronising tone told me about how long the fan would be on for and then proceeded to tell me that I had in fact been upgraded into a cosy double from a single room. I told her I would be happy enough in a single as long as I was in a quiet room as this was a holiday and paying £87 a night was already quite a lot of money. She found a room and told me it was ready and I could go up. The room was on the third floor, front facing, bigger than my original room with a beautiful view and was a lovely size. I really can not see how a cosy double was an upgrade from the single room.

I used tripadvisor reviews before booking this hotel and I am surprised by the manager's comments to the bad reviews of the poor service at breakfast, the rude receptionists or hot and stuffy rooms by saying it is not normally like that. I think rather than keep apologising to reviewers it's important they actually do something about it. If they put a small electric fan in the cupboard this would really help because the rooms are too stuffy and my first night was awful it was far too hot and I slept with a wet towel round my head as I was boiling!! The second night was much better as I had kept the window open the whole day.

I do agree with another review who mentioned the rudeness of the two girls who serve breakfast. After asking what I wanted they would give the male restaurant staff (for lunch) eyes. It made me feel uncomfortable.

Where this hotels falls short is the service. The nicest people in the hotel were the cleaners. The waitresses at breakfast would screech at me if I sat in the wrong table, no one was there to meet you at breakfast so you never knew where to sit! And when I'd found the right table they just did not seem bothered about me and I felt like they were busy getting ready for lunch and didn't want me there. I think the best service I had was at the end of my stay when I asked the receptionist if I could leave my suitcase behind while I did some walking and picked it up later, she was very accommodating and helpful.

The restaurant and reception staff appeared very preoccupied with their restaurant and appeared to forget they were a hotel and had hotel guests staying. It seemed as if they wanted to make sure their restaurant was the best in Bath and so as a guest coming to Bath for a short holiday I did not feel well cared for at all during my stay. I was made to feel like I was a difficult guest for not being satisfied with a room facing the loud kitchen fan.

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied with a room (ie. a cosy room facing the kitchen fan) ask reception for a fr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ye Y
Thank you for your feedback which we have read with interest, we appreciate all objective and reasonable comments and your points regarding the room have been noted.

We were however disappointed by your comments regarding the unfriendly and uncaring staff as this could not be further from the truth and we are sorry that you did not feel this was so - Customer service remains our focus and as others have kindly pointed out many times through this medium, we deliver on a daily basis; occasional shortcomings, some within and others outwith our control, are regrettable and we always seek to react positively to those who, quite correctly, “keep us on our toes”.

Regards
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We spent two nights here exploring the delights of Bath. This hotel is in a fantastic location within walking distance of great pubs, shopping and the tourist things to see, just around the corner from the Roman Baths. The room was spacious, beds comfy and breakfast good. The only slight letdown was the shower...the pressure was low and when the shower was going next door there was no hot water. I do think this hotel is a very good three star hotel and excellent value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Canberra
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed one night (28/3/13), we picked it from the internet and booked a couple of days ahead. We had difficulty finding it at first as we were driving a hire car in unknown territory! It is on the edge of the mall with a public car park a short walk away (not too expensive). This was a great hotel, very clean and the most comfortable beds ever! The staff were very friendly and helpful. A tiny little lift, but hey it did the job. Shower over bath, which had great pressure. we were on the 3rd floor and had good heating and a window that could be opened. Breakfast was included and was great; cereals, fruit and toast and hot food cooked to order. Would definately recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Booked a cozy double and it was cozy.The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. I can't imagine two people staying in this room.Not much room for luggage or to move. The bathroom appeared to be partially updated- new fan,fresh paint and lighting older sink and shower fixtures..plenty of hot water. View of roof and fire escape stairs. Tv is on wall to the side not the front of the bed which was awkward. I think this room may have been a single and they jammed a double bed in the room. For one person it's great to have a large bed. The cooked breakfast was made to order, which I appreciate as I am not a big fan of buffets. Coffee needs work but the tea was good. Many restaurants and tea shops just steps from the hotel and a 5 minute walk to the station. I would consider the abbey the next time I am in Bath

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
UK
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The problem I get with Best Western is that you never know what you are going to get, you can go from a great venue with wonderful service to something that is really not acceptable. Its this lack of consistancy across the group that reduces the number of stays I make with them.

However, after checking out on Tripadvisor and given it was a one-night stay, I selected this hotel.

It is well situated in the centre of Bath, a short and easy walk from the rail station.

Check-in was good and I was walked to my room which was hidden away behind the dining room.

The room, for me, was excellent - a tall room with windows high up, but lovely and warm. I was staying alone and for one night, so it was great for me, however if it is a couple staying and particularly for more than a night I could see this room as being unacceptably small.

Bathroom was fine for me, but the shower performance was not that powerful. The shampoo etc are very good.

TV in the bedroom is a bit small and choice of channels was low, with a bit of a fuzzy screen - not really acceptable in these digital days,

Wi-fi is free and the quality was fine for me.

Breakfast was very nice - good choice and good quality. Hot breakfast is cooked for you and was also very good quality. The only issue is catching someone's eye to serve you, although this was not a big problem.

Overall, if you want a stay in Bath, this is a very nice, centrally situated hotel run in a professional manner by people who care about their product.

I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Given the age of this building I suspect there will be significant differences in the size and layou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to the hotel in the future

Kind regards