“Great location and good value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Abbey Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Bath
“Great location and good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We spent two nights here exploring the delights of Bath. This hotel is in a fantastic location within walking distance of great pubs, shopping and the tourist things to see, just around the corner from the Roman Baths. The room was spacious, beds comfy and breakfast good. The only slight letdown was the shower...the pressure was low and when the shower was going next door there was no hot water. I do think this hotel is a very good three star hotel and excellent value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed one night (28/3/13), we picked it from the internet and booked a couple of days ahead. We had difficulty finding it at first as we were driving a hire car in unknown territory! It is on the edge of the mall with a public car park a short walk away (not too expensive). This was a great hotel, very clean and the most comfortable beds ever! The staff were very friendly and helpful. A tiny little lift, but hey it did the job. Shower over bath, which had great pressure. we were on the 3rd floor and had good heating and a window that could be opened. Breakfast was included and was great; cereals, fruit and toast and hot food cooked to order. Would definately recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Booked a cozy double and it was cozy.The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. I can't imagine two people staying in this room.Not much room for luggage or to move. The bathroom appeared to be partially updated- new fan,fresh paint and lighting older sink and shower fixtures..plenty of hot water. View of roof and fire escape stairs. Tv is on wall to the side not the front of the bed which was awkward. I think this room may have been a single and they jammed a double bed in the room. For one person it's great to have a large bed. The cooked breakfast was made to order, which I appreciate as I am not a big fan of buffets. Coffee needs work but the tea was good. Many restaurants and tea shops just steps from the hotel and a 5 minute walk to the station. I would consider the abbey the next time I am in Bath

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

The problem I get with Best Western is that you never know what you are going to get, you can go from a great venue with wonderful service to something that is really not acceptable. Its this lack of consistancy across the group that reduces the number of stays I make with them.

However, after checking out on Tripadvisor and given it was a one-night stay, I selected this hotel.

It is well situated in the centre of Bath, a short and easy walk from the rail station.

Check-in was good and I was walked to my room which was hidden away behind the dining room.

The room, for me, was excellent - a tall room with windows high up, but lovely and warm. I was staying alone and for one night, so it was great for me, however if it is a couple staying and particularly for more than a night I could see this room as being unacceptably small.

Bathroom was fine for me, but the shower performance was not that powerful. The shampoo etc are very good.

TV in the bedroom is a bit small and choice of channels was low, with a bit of a fuzzy screen - not really acceptable in these digital days,

Wi-fi is free and the quality was fine for me.

Breakfast was very nice - good choice and good quality. Hot breakfast is cooked for you and was also very good quality. The only issue is catching someone's eye to serve you, although this was not a big problem.

Overall, if you want a stay in Bath, this is a very nice, centrally situated hotel run in a professional manner by people who care about their product.

I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Given the age of this building I suspect there will be significant differences in the size and layou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
abbeyhoteloperations, Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to the hotel in the future

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a fantastic central location, close to all the sights and lovely restaurants in Bath. I asked for a room with a view, and got just that. The room was very basic and with slightly tacky furniture. The bed was VERY small and a bit uncomfortable and the room a little cold. There were no extra blankets but I asked and one was delivered straight away. The bathroom was fine but we couldn't work the shower(!). The breakfast was delicious (but no marmite!)and the waitresses and receptionists were very helpful and cheerful. I would recommend the hotel if you don't mind compromising a bit... Food lovely, service excellent, location brilliant but room a bit disappointing.

Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Shinyhappy123
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel, as all feedback whether positive or otherwise is constructive and helps us maintain the high standards we aim to achieve.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room, along with redecorationg the rooms we are currently replacing all the beds in the hotel and have now completed 98% of them the latest arriving just today so I hope that you will consider staying with us again, when I am confident you will have a great stay.

Finishing on a positive note, thank you for your kind remarks regarding the food and staff, we look forward to hopefully welcoming you again to the hotel in the future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Excellent location, central to Bath and easy walking distance to all shopping and entertainment and attractions. Staff were very welcoming and friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel and hope to return again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments. We also hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future

Kind Regards

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed for the Easter Bank Holiday weekend, and asked for a front facing room for the view, which was fantastic. As others have stated, it does get a bit noisy outside but there was pretty good sound insulation from the double glazing.

Unfortunately this was no help blocking out the idiotic stag/rugby group who stayed on our floor. Every single night they rampaged along the corridor at 4am screaming, shouting, knocking on doors and singing, on one occasion for a whole hour. We complained at reception, who were very apologetic. They said they would speak to them, and offered us complementary drinks. It might, however, have been better if they had not continued to serve them in the hotel bar until 4am, which they continued to do so the whole thing happened all over again - although at least not for quite as long. Staff could not have failed to have heard the noise, but at no point on any of the three nights did anyone come up and ask them to stop.

Apart from that the hotel was very well placed, making it perfect for popping in and out of while exploring Bath (which is a fantastic place to visit). The room was clean, although we did have to ask three times one day for a cleaner, as she'd missed us out, and the hotel bar was very nice indeed. They also had Ren products in the bathroom, which was a nice touch,

Overall it felt a little over-priced - a good area, but could do with some more creature comforts and definitely a more active stance on noisy guests!

Room Tip: The hotel faces a square with two pubs, one of which is open very late, so light sleepers would be b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MJHibbett
abbeyhoteloperations, Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us-- this does not by any means represent the standards The Best Western Abbey Hotel is known for, nor is it the usual type of guest that we have staying at the hotel.

I am truly confident that we can provide you with a great stay in the future and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back. I would like to invite you to contact me directly should you wish to stay with us again and I will be more than pleased to assist you. Once again my sincere apologies.