“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very good size room, comfortable bed and reasonable price. We only stayed overnight, but I cannot fault the hotel. The staff were all friendly and very helpful. They knew the area very well and made good suggestions of where to visit.
My only issue was that it seemed quite highly priced considering we were only checked in for a few hours.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lewis B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Abbey Hotel doesn't pretend to be a fancy hotel, but for a little nicer-than-average hotel, they do a lovely job putting out little touches to bring interest to the premises. I quite enjoyed the artwork and flowers that liven the lobby and lounge. The staff are courteous and helpful, whether it was giving me walking directions, or running to find me at the cash machine to tell me my taxi had arrived.

The room I was in wasn't large or luxurious - there is no closet, for example, but I had everything I needed to be comfortable. The flat-screen TV is conveniently located to watch from bed, and there is a desk with an assortment of magazines of things to do locally. The bed is comfy, there are lots of pillows, and there's a full-sized soaker tub.

A real draw is the location. It is within walking distance of absolutely everything, and right outside the door are charming shops down the little lanes. (Try the evidently famous Sally Lunn's buns across the street).

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back are very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Great hotel and food,very close to everything.BUT.shower either freezing or scalding,not enough pressure on third floor.Not much fun washing hair in cold water.!they need too sort this as the hotel is not a budget hotel.staff very good.

Wimborne
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We read T/A reviews on this hotel before we booked and all seemed largely positive.

The welcome on arrival was very friendly and the staff were excellent throughout our stay.
The breakfast was excellent in a lovely room looking out onto the aquare in front of the hotel.

This is where things go a bit downhill, the room itself. Although it was very clean it was a bit of a let disappointment. The bed and funky tv were obviuosly a recent addition but the rest of the furniture and general decor was dated and bland, it reminded me of a care home for the elderly. The bathroom was tired but very clean. The water pressure needs addressing as the shower was a dribble and the toilet had to be flushed several times before it did anything.

I understand that some of the rooms have been updated as the hotel is under new management so if our room was a bit more upto scratch I would give a much better review as the overall experience was good, the room let it down.

I have to add that the room was very quiet for a city center hotel and the location is fab.

Thanks to the staff who made our stay a good one!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Really good location. Right near the bus stop and an easy walk to the station.
The hotel was clean and the bathrooms were spacious. The hot water and water pressure were excellent. The windows open fully. Its very pretty. The staff here were very good. We particularly enjoyed the breakfast in the morning which came with the room rate. It was so enjoyable. I would have to say though the only thng was the creaking of the floors above but this is not avoidable considering the age of the building.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel its quieter.
Solihull
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My arrival at the Abbey Hotel was a little apprehensive as I knew there wasn't any parking at the hotel and I had my elderly mother with me for a trip to the Thermae Spa. I pulled up outside the hotel on double yellows to drop my mum off with the luggage before I hunted for a parking space. Within seconds, a parking attendant with a high vis jacket was at my side "Are you going to the Abbey hotel?" she enquired "yes" I barked, ready for a challenge, but I certainly wasnt ready for her response "Do you need a hand with your bags?" Not only did the parking attendant help us with our luggage she then physically stood in a no charge parking space to reserve it for us when we had finished checking in! Never before have I met a parking attendant who was so helpful!
I had originally booked a double room at the Abbey and had telephoned in advance to explain I was now bringing my mother and needed a twin. This had been handled without complication on the telephone but on arrival, the hotel requested an additional £40. I did argue this should have been mentioned when I requested the twin and after some rather embarassing uncertainty they agreed to just charge for the extra breakfast which is as I would expect. If you need to amend your booking before arrival, I suggest you ask them to be very clear about any additional charges they may make. The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful though.

Our room was a great disappointment. The furniture was chipped and the whole room was very plain and dreary. It was situated on the front of the hotel and though we didn't know at the time, would be a very noisy place to be when the hens and stags tipped out of the pub in the early hours of the morning! I'm sure a room towards the back would be quieter.....

We visited the Thermae Spa that evening (it is of course a 'must' in Bath) As I say, my mother is elderly and I had concerns about her ability to walk too far but there was absolutely no need to worry, the Abbey Hotel is just a very short, level stroll from the Thermae Spa and indeed the centre of Bath. This hotel is absolutely perfectly located for visits into town.

Our big surprise came in a last minute decision to eat dinner in the hotel. We hadn't checked the menu and arrived just before the close of service (9 pm) but were greeted very well. Not only did we experience first class waiting skills (attentive, unstuffy and very professional) the food was really superb. In fact, the food was of quite an exceptional standard and seemed almost too good for the hotel if that makes sense? Mandarin segments stuffed prawn paste and drizzled with walnut oil (or something like that) was a side I ordered that was completely scrummy. I was told the Head Chef trained in a Michelin starred retaurant. Prices around £8 for a starter and £18/£20 for the main. Definitely recommend you give the restaurant a try whether or not you are staying at the hotel

Overall this is a strange hotel to review and 'grade' - Location 5/5, Food 5/5, Staff 5/5, (Parking Attendant 6/5!) but really let down with the shabby room 2/5 and could completely do without the late night revellers!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front can be very noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cheriaday
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Best place to stay in Bath in terms of being Central to everything... within walking distance of all downtown attractions, restaurants, and shops. Bath Rugby stadium is right across the bridge. Good views from hotel. Hotel staff very friendly and attentive. Did not eat dinner in the hotel as I was trying out different restaurants, but breakfast was excellent (they will even bring you breakfast to your room if you don't feel like walking down to restaurant)! They have a nice lounge in the lobby to relax and the rooms were a great price for the locations of the hotel! Nice comfy beds, slept well after all the sight seeing and walking around town!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo