“Return to Francis Hotel”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Having had a delightful stay in April for our wedding anniversary we decided to return in September for my birthday. Once again the room was attractive with the most comfy bed & pillows. All the staff were very friendly & helpful. One or two hiccups with room service but these were rectified straight away to our satisfaction. Cannot fault the service. Would highly recommend.

2  Thank Sylvia J
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

It is great to see that you have returned to the Hotel in the space of 5 months – that is wonderful. Thank you so much for sendng in a review and hope you come back soon.

Kind regards – John Willcock

Write a ReviewReviews (2,390)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have always read the reviews on hotels both good and bad before booking. Never bothered writing my own but decided I would just write a few lines about the Francis. I found all the staff we met to be extremely helpful and professional. The room we stayed in was very clean and comfortable and it is ideally situated to visit all of Baths attractions. In short would recommend to anyone.

1  Thank Stuart S

I am flattered that we are the subject of your first review and thank you for taking the time to write in.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Though part of the Accor group, you would never guess it. Entering the hotel you will find a rather esoteric array of period style furniture which gives a club-like ambience. After a warm reception, we found our room - decorated in similar style and with a four poster bed. There was a comfortable sitting area and a spacious shower room complete with a reproduction background of Bath's renowned Roman baths. We had both coffee and tea making facilities. The en suite room was a warm, clean and relaxing retreat from a busy round of sightseeing. Breakfast is a combination of a buffet for starters and a freshly prepared choice of various hot breakfast dishes. A Blanc Brasserie forms part of the hotel so a decent dinner at reasonable prices is assured. The Francis is a good choice for a visit to the most attractive city of Bath.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your informative review; I am sure it will be very useful for any future guests thinking of staying at the Francis. I hope you we get the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Great hotel in so many ways, staff lovely, rooms delightful, although some better value than others for same price, this wouldn't prompt criticism however, the breakfast service has done that. We waited 50 mins for our order and the lady at the next table an hour for her porridge, the waiter said 'we are busy,' no excuse, not very busy at time we were there, it doesn't take intelligence to have someone in overall charge keeping an eye on things, when the order came it was wrong and we had to hunt someone down initially for teas and coffee. In the hotel's favour they didn't charge for our breakfasts, the French receptionist was brilliant. The breakfast service needs a real shakeup, I have stayed here 3 times this year and it has always been patchy, this time it was truly dreadful and let the hotel down.

Room Tip: Rooms 310 and 311
Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank twogrannies
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Francis. I am pleased that you liked the room and the staff. I am very sorry that you experienced poor service at breakfast; I can assure you that this was addressed and is now back on track. I do hope we see you again at the Francis at some time in the future.

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

The room was great The staff were amazing. The breakfast was amazing and staff are so helpful. I will stay at this hotel The next time I stay in bath. In the room it was a very good bed and had very good shower. I went down to the bar and have soup and it was very
tasty,

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Karen E

I’m so glad to hear you had a good time and hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Took my wife away for a night at the Francis Hotel for our 5th Wedding Anniversary. Allocated a lovely room with great views over the hotel entrance. Very pleasant room with cosy bed and lovely artwork. Bathroom was fabulous with walk in shower where the water came out of the ceiling. Very enjoyable breakfast with good service. Superb location just a couple of minutes walk from the centre of Bath and within sight of my favorite pub!! Considering the location and the general price of hotel rooms in Bath, I would say this hotel is excellent value and I would definitely stay again and recommend to friends!!

Room Tip: Room 215 overlooks the front right over the entrance. Very nice
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much you’re your positive review and recommendation. I hope we see you on your 6th wedding anniversary.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

It’s a couple of years since I stayed here – at that time some refurbishment of the quite poor bedrooms had started and they now seem to be completed. I am not sure who the interior designer was, but they either took their inspiration from the mad King George or they may have been by a colour blind Frenchman. I suppose it’s meant to be Regency – if so they had better go back to art school.
Our bedroom had bold black and white stripes with two tone sage green on the wall and a deep purple carpet (I pity the chambermaid who has to hoover this every day) and a black plastic French style dressing table chair. The hairdryer is wired through the drawer of the dressing table and every time you pick it up the drawer opens and you bang your elbow. The inflow from the shower is greater than the outflow and you have to keep turning it off to avoid a flood. The extractor fan didn’t work – so you can guess how often and how thoroughly the house keeper and the manager inspect the room
There was a landscape picture on the ceiling over the bed, presumably because they didn’t match the other pictures on the walls. It was seriously over the top – but over the top of what, I do not know.
Breakfast in the new basement room was a bit of a shambles – we got the wrong cooked breakfast after a wait of ½ an hour – quite a number of guests were getting rather annoyed; the least said the better.
But the hotel is not cheap and is centrally placed with a car park.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back - and get your breakfast in the Town
3  Thank Longey

I’m really sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t up to your expectations. I would very much like to discuss with you in person. Please could you call me on 01225 424105.