“The Francis Hotel Bath - What a superbly located hotel in the centre of Bath”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Lovely hotel centrally located in Bath, professional friendly staff, breakfast room located downstairs in a bright and airy room, breakfast selection was better than expected from full English, continental, fresh fruit etc. We were offered a room at the front or the back, we chose the front as we hoped for a better view however Queens square is a busy thoroughfare and even late into the night there is some noise (we live in a very quiet area and so my wife noticed the elevated noise, however I didn't) We were given room 221 which was on the 2nd floor, we found the room clean and well laid out. I had noticed from previous reviews that there were no drawers for clothing but both my wife and I found the suit case stand and the wardrobe to be more than enough for our 3 night stay.
The bed was warm and comfortable, house keeping were discreet and efficient from making the bed, turning it down at night, to replacing towels when needed.
Our whole stay at the hotel for both my wife and I was a pleasure and when we return to Bath we will be returning to the Francis Hotel.

Room Tip: rooms at located at the front have a better view but Queens Square is a busy route and at times can...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay wit us and hoe that you will return to the Francis Hotel Bath very soon.

There are newer reviews for Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Francis is the perfect location to stay in Bath. The new decor is kind of overwhelming with all the black and white checked tiles in too many places but the staff was wonderful. Our included breakfast was more that we expected with a menu to order cooked as well as the continental buffet. Our bed was very comfortable. The room and bathroom were a good size for an older hotel.
Only downfall was that we had a group of 38 people and it was 4:30PM before all the rooms were ready to be occupied. We had been told 2:30PM so the extra 2 hour wait was difficult for overseas travelers just arriving. Lots of restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HelenH_7
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

I do hope you all had a great time discovering the delights of the beautiful city of Bath. Thank you for your very kind words. I am sorry that your bedroom was not ready on your arrival. Our rooms are normally ready from 2.00 p.m. onwards (check out time is at 12.00 noon). We naturally always try to accommodate guests as soon as they arrive but this would depend on how full we were the night before and what time the preceding guest checked out.

Kind regards – John Willcock

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent the night here on a Saturday before a wedding. It is perfectly located in the center of town within easy walking distance to pretty much everywhere, although Bath is small so most hotels won't be THAT far away. Check in was great, very attentive and friendly service, with bellman to greet as you enter and offers to take your bags straight away. Nicely decorated throughout in bright colors with boutique style furnishings both in rooms and common areas. Bathroom was nice and clean although the rainfall shower head could use a bit more pressure, but the regular shower head has great pressure so not a huge loss. Plush towels and bath robes are definitely up to the standard one would expect from an MGallery hotel as are the toiletries. Beds, linens and pillows were also very nice. I am a very light sleeper but had no problems getting comfortable and sleeping straight through the night (not a common occurrence for me!) The only real downside is that the rooms are quite small for £200 a night but it is city center so somewhat understandable. However, the window sill in our room was covered with tiny dead flies and there were also a few on the bed. The couple on the bed I can see how one might not have noticed but the window sill was literally covered in them and definitely should have been noticed and cleaned before sending guests in. I just took a tissue, wiped them off and got on with our weekend but some others could have been very put off. But, this oversight was definitely the exception rather than the rule. If you want a nice upscale, somewhat boutique feel in the heart of Bath I would definitely recommend Francis. And if you do stay get the breakfast at least once. Go down hungry and its well worth the £15!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for all your kind words, although I am very sorry that there were flies in your room, which is rather unusual; my Housekeeper has asked to be associated with my apologies. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Francis very soon.

Kind regards – John Willcock

Reviewed July 29, 2013

A beautiful and comfortable hotel in a great location with attentive, polished staff and well-prepared food. I suggest that management stay a few nights in a room with luggage to appreciate the need for a few changes. The bathroom needs a hook or bar to hang wet bath towels. The rooms need a piece of furniture with drawers for clothing. The area is front of the closet needs better lighting.
Otherwise, we slept well and enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: The management is responsive to concerns, so ask for another room if you are unhappy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your constructive review. We have taken on board the reviews of our guests and we will be actioning the storage request very soon! We have also noted your comments regarding the bathroom hooks. Do come back soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Group of seven family members, stayed in 3 rooms, as part of a 60th birthday celebration. we wanted something a bit special, and we got it! Gorgeous sumptuous rooms, great en-suites and attentive staff members.
Huge bed, comfortable pillows, all tea, coffee etc supplied in room. Great big shower, clean throughout.
Only down side was slight overspill from shower onto bathroom floor, resulting in puddles and sopping wet bath mat!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pink_wierdo

We are delighted that you all had such a good break at the Francis and took the time to send in reviews – thank you very much! I am sorry that you had overspill in the bathroom and hope you weren’t too inconvenienced.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have just returned from a one night stay at the Francis Hotel, after a day at Bath Races as part of a surprise for my husbands birthday. There were seven of us ranging in age from one year old to sixty years old!

We had booked three superior double rooms, preferably close together, with a cot in one room - my daughter had forgotten to bring a cot sheet, and we got to our rooms to find that one was already being put in the cot

The rooms were exactly as the pictures show, with luxuriously soft carpets, beautifully comfortable beds, plenty of space and, yes, even a picture on the ceiling above the bed so you can count the sheep should you be unable to sleep! They were certainly boutique in style and different to any other hotel room I have stayed in. It was so nice they were not your usual "bog standard" hotel rooms. The bathrooms were stylishly decorated with black and white tiles and rain showers.

The communal areas of the hotel were stylishly decorated with each "house" (the hotel comprises seven Georgian townhouses) in the same wallpaper but in a different colour and with blue plaques on the walls informing you of the previous residents. The lounges and bar area were beautiful and perfect for afternoon tea or a pre-dinner drink.

We had dinner in Brasserie Blanc, which was attached to the hotel (I will write a separate review), with the same level of service as the hotel.

After an extremely good night's sleep we all met up for breakfast. There was an extensive buffet with a excellent choice of juices, cereals, fruit, yogurt, cheese, ham and pastries, which we enjoyed whilst waiting for our hot choices (we had been told there would be a 15 minute wait, which was not a problem as we were in no hurry). Between us we had full English, porridge, omelette and pancakes, and all were delicious, although my pancakes were a little overdone.

Checkout was quick and easy, and we were lucky enough to have found a space in the hotel carpark (which was located at the rear of the hotel), although this did cost us £15. Our daughter had parked in a pay and display car park some 5-10 minutes away, which had cost them only £5!

The hotel is in a great place to explore the beautiful city of Bath, with a lovely park and shops nearby. The staff were all very helpful, with nothing being too much trouble, not only had they provided a cot sheet, but a jug of milk was delivered to my daughters room for my granddaughters early morning bottle at no cost. All the staff we encountered were very polite and friendly, and they all appeared to be enjoying their jobs, which all helped towards the enjoyment of our stay.

I have rated the hotel as average for childrens activities only because it is not the type of hotel which provides kids clubs, etc. However, they fully cater for children with cots and highchairs, etc, and, equally, it is not the type of hotel where you feel children are discriminated against.

I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank poshtart13

Thank you for taking the time to send in a detailed review of your stay with us; we do appreciate your recommendations. I am delighted that you all had a good time celebrating your husband’s birthday.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed at hotel July 22-24. Was treated like a queen. Super location, super staff, great room WITH AC that worked, internet that never went out and great breakfast. Only draw backs are they have no drawers to put clothes in and it would have been nice to have refrig in the room. Would stay here again.

2  Thank Inez J

Thank you very much for sending in your review; it is great. Please note….there will be storage space and a minibar when you return!