“Unique and enjoyable”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our family of 9 people stayed here for our trip to Bath. The hotel is in a great location with a park just across the street in which there was some sort of bocce ball tournament going on, which was fun to watch. The hotel is in within walking distance of many great places which we fully took advantage of during our stay.

The rooms are very entertaining and unique. In order to accommodate the odd number of people in our group we had an upgraded room which included a pull out couch for our third person. The room was nice and quirky, with an entertaining picture of a woman and a disgruntled bird on the doors of the wardrobe. The room and bathroom were both clean (our shower had a mural of the Roman Baths on the wall which was a nice touch) and the staff was friendly and very helpful. We very much enjoyed our stay here and highly recommend it.

1  Thank Megan H
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

It is difficult to keep everyone happy when you are travelling with a party; I am delighted we were able to achieve the impossible! The Boules tournament on the Square is an annual event and is very entertaining to watch, we had a team playing. I do hope you keep us in mind should you return to Bath in the future. Thank you very much for sending in your review.

Kind regards – John Willcock

Write a ReviewReviews (2,390)

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

A quality hotel, offering the very best service and attention but without ever coming across as stuffy or pompous.
It's a tough balance to achieve but achieve it they do.
Loved everything about the Francis and as is always the case..... The staff make it special. :-)

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review; it is great to see that the staff were able to make it extra special and I will make sure they are all aware of your comments. We do have a wonderful team at the Hotel who work very hard and it makes it all worthwhile when reviews such as yours are sent in. Come back soon!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This hotel offers a fair service but not value for your money, had I been the AA inspector I suspect they may have had a couple of issues.

Very small dbl room in the loft unable to open door fully into the bathroom, a carrier bag full of rubbish on a ledge outside the window. Breakfast was far to expensive at almost £20 and charging £15 on top of the very high room rate to park your car is verging on the criminal.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matter regarding the carrier bag on the window ledge; this really is inexcusable. Please feel free to contact me to discuss further.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Only spent 1 night there, staffs were friendly and helpful. Rooms are up to standard as others described though the bathroom is a bit cold during our stay and it was around <15 degrees.
Only 10-15 mins walk to most major attractions and dining places. I would recommend to other travellers but can try your parking luck elsewhere before handing over the car to them since the rate is quite pricy for 1 day when compared with the neighbourhood car parks.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to send in a review; I do hope you had an enjoyable time in Bath. The car park at the Hotel is limited and we recommend for guests arriving by car to drop off their luggage with us and to try Charlotte Street car park, which is located on the opposite side of the Square, especially at weekends: this is £8.50 per 24 hours. I do hope we see you on your next visit to Bath

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We chose Francis Hotel for a 4 day accommodation and were astonished by the welcoming, warm and professional staff. This is what customer service should be: speedy, kind, efficient. There aren't words. We requested heaters because we felt the room was a bit cold for our taste and they brought us some radiators in no time. I have to repeat this 'no time' at all. I don't know how they did it whether they flew up the stairs or by magic but 30 seconds was all to solve our issue. The food in the hotel is only made fresh and they insist on keeping a minimum of ready made items in the buffet. Breakfast according to them HAS TO BE made fresh to your liking in the morning and it doesn't take long. I tried pushing my lack asking for two 4 minute soft boiled eggs and they didn't even hesitate in making just that. I absolutely fell in love with their fruit salad. I would even pay room service just to have it again and again. Fresh and cool and absolutely lovely every single day. No canned fruits just apples and berries and orange and passion fruit in lovely juice. Funniest thing there was a painting on the ceiling above the bed ! I was also astonished by the cleanliness of the bathroom. I went in showered clumsily for a long time and then got my bath robe and left it as is and honestly thought it would remain messy until next morning. Little did I know... They must be using really good detergents because after 30 minutes I couldn't find a trace of water inside the cubicle. Not even a dried drop somewhere to prove it was used recently. Must be a combination of detergents and the vileroy &boch materials used in the making of these showers. It was the closest thing to my dream house I have ever seen. It is a bit pricey according to some but so VERY VERY worth the money. Loved it:)

1  Thank smiling890

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Francis; it was wonderful to read your review. It is a fabulous morale booster and we hope you return to visit us again very soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel is lovely, only minutes away from all the main attractions and opposite the stop for the tour bus. The hotel has been completely refurbished to a very high standard and rooms are stylish and comfortable. Staff are very helpful and nothing is too much trouble.
Breakfast can be a bit slow but was worth waiting for and they were prepared to serve after the 10am deadline.
A great place to stay , would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The Blanc Brasserie is next door and accessible from the hotel but I would look further afield as th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. My team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. We stayed here a while ago and at the time it was a little tired but it recently has had a makeover and is superb.

The staff are excellent and nothing was too much trouble. My wife is disabled and they reserved a parking space for us and gave us a ground floor room.

The hotel is much better than its star rating suggests. The rating suffers because the hotel does not have a pool or spa so cannot get a higher rating.

If you are staying in Bath I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Ian H

Thank you very much for your positive review and your recommendations. Come back soon!

Kind regards - John Willcock