“Not impressed with amount it cost”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Not impressed with amount it cost”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel is nice but more of a 4 star and I do agree with the review below that the baths should not have been taken out of the feature rooms; at over £300 a night it's a rip off, no bath, no shower cap, no body lotion, dusty surfaces and noise from the corridors and other floors. However the bed was very very comfy and I liked the nespresso machine. We were also impressed that breakfast went on till noon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. The Francis Hotel Bath is a 4 Star Hotel. Bath is a prime weekend destination and prices throughout the City reflect this; our tariff generally increases in price the closer to the date the booking is made. I am extremely sorry that there were items missing in your bathroom and the servicing in the room was below standard; this is inexcusable and I have spoken with my Housekeeper; who has asked to be associated with my apologies. On a positive note, I am pleased that you liked the bed, coffee machine and late breakfast. Please keep an eye out on our website for any future offers.

Kind regards - John Willcock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

WE stayed at The Francis for the evening of Wednesday 19th June 2013 & the following day until 8pm.We were guests at a wedding with the reception & evening party being held in the hotel.And what an excellent choice the Bride and Groom made!On arrival at 6pm we parked in the hotel car park at the back of the property.Apparently we had just missed the arrival of a large number of guests but we were dealt with quickly and efficiently by the staff on reception.We were shown to room 34 on the second floor.Although overlooking the back of the hotel,l think considering the traffic we saw using the road on the front of the hotel,the room was ideal.Bath/shower/hairdryer/plenty of towels/tv on the wall opposite bed.And plastic key cards that actually worked!We thought we would try the bar menu at the hotel rather than go out searching for a restaurant.l was slightly disappointed that the room menu items werent available in the bar,there seemed a very small choice.But in stepped barman Jason when we mentioned that we would have liked chicken curry shown on the room menu.No problem he said and that was a phrase used by staff during the 2 days we were at the hotel.There followed the best chicken curry i've ever had.The hotel is near the main shopping area so we decided to have a walk around after our lovely meal.We found a fabulous Waitrose nearby that apparently houses the local library.On our return to the hotel after a long walk we settled down in the bar for a couple of ||Baileys Lattes!Next morning we went to breakfast and both had the full English.Again attentive staff,good service etc & we checked out of our room at 1130 am to make our way to the wedding.We returned to the hotel after the wedding and finally left at 8pm.We felt that this was one of the best hotels we have stayed at in the UK.And its probably down to really hard working staff who are only too willing to help,with nothing being a problem.I'm sure we will return soon..want to try some of the cocktails barman Jason was making for wedding guests. Well Done The FRANCIS!!!

Room Tip: i'm sure all rooms are excellent,ours was 34 overlooking back of hotel.Square is very busy at fr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to send in such a detailed response; I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable time at the Hotel! Please come again soon.
Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had a superior room in "house 5". The staff were friendly and very helpful. The room was oddly set out but ok. The location made Bath very accessible. The brasserie was fantastic.
Very disappointed that quality of hotel food not good. A chef who can't cook an egg (scrambled, fried or poached) without them being hard and dry is rather a let down. Poor cleanliness in the restaurant was also disappointing.
Overall really good stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and I ‘m delighted that you enjoyed your stay. It is disappointing to read that the eggs at breakfast weren’t up to standard and I have spoken to the Chef, who has asked to be associated with my apologies. I do apologise that the carpet in the restaurant was stained on the morning that you were staying with us following a busy few days; it was professionally cleaned yesterday. I do hope that you will consider returning to the Francis sometime soon.

Kind regards – John Willcock
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. All staff were very friendly and pleasant. The hotel has a great deco (I love it!) and the standard of rooms is very high. My room was very clean and if I even go to Bath again I will definitely book a room in this hotel.
Great location too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Bath!

Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stopped just for one night - an anniversary - but will definitely return. Staff were lovely, helpful but not in your face. Room overlooked the square which I noticed other reviewers have described as noisy, but we found it relatively quiet - and we are quite noise-sensitive! It was good to be able to stroll out straight into the middle of the city. Most impressively, the breakfasts were cooked to order and were delicious. And yes the barman is definitely a character to meet - though would benefit from a better wine selection. All in all very relaxing, nice to feel looked after.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PLowndes
I am delighted that you had a relaxing time at the Hotel and congratulations on your wedding anniversary. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Amazing hotel, well positioned, fabulous rooms and staff are very helpful.. big shout out to Jason very cooler newyorker barman.. makes the best bloody mary's in Bath.. ;o)

Would most definitely stay here again and highly recommend hotel for anyone seeking a classy stay in Bath.

• Stayed June 2013
I will make sure your review is passed on to Jason! Thank you very much for sending in a review; it is always a great boost to morale.

Banstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We visited this hotel recently to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday - we were so impressed! The decor is quirky and kitsch and the welcome very warm ! I upgraded to a feature room which was large, clean and very impressive with a bed to die for. But .... The best part about this hotel is the bar...run by a guy called Jason, he knew exactly what he was talking about and the cocktails were the best I have ever tasted (I've been round the world and have consumed a lot of cocktails) we would return to the hotel based just on these. Enjoy!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m delighted that Jason was able to make you make you some great cocktails! I hope you return to try some more.