“absolutely excellent in every way”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I booked the hotel for a friend's hen weekend, with 10 of us staying. The advance rate was excellent and everything about our stay was perfect - we were upgraded to better rooms on arrival, which were brilliant with really comfortable beds and lovely bathrooms. The decor throughout the hotel is unusual and really attractive. Breakfast - included in the room rate - was the best I have ever had in a hotel and they dealt with vegetarian and gluten-free requests without batting an eyelid. The restaurant staff were super-friendly and helpful. We really couldn't have asked for more - and the location is perfect for exploring the city. Highly, highly recommend and I'll definitely go back.

Room Tip: all the rooms we had were fine but a view of Queen Square would be perfect
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for sending in such a positive review following your recent say with us. I do hope we see you at the Hotel again soon.

Kind regards – John Willcock

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed in the hotel around 5 years ago so was aware that the location was perfect for the city centre. However, at the time it was looking in need of a bit of loving care - the refurbishment is excellent and has really done the trick! I was there to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday - she really appreciated the beautiful decor. The breakfast was top class and all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel and rooms are impeccably clean too. In particular the beds are seriously comfortable! I felt that the price (which was on towards the upper end of my budget) was fully justified. Parking is an issue at the hotel (there are very limited spaces! The hotel does make this clear in fairness), however, parking in Charlotte Street is really not far away and is cheaper to boot! We really enjoyed our time in this lovely hotel and will be recommending it to family and friends.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

It is wonderful to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I hope you don’t leave it so long for a return visit.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

It is a lovely hotel and I Imuch enjoyed my stay. The staff were very nice and the hotel was very comfortable. My only note is one to ask that there is some note by the bathroom (well shower room) to explain that you will get no heat or ventilation if you don't turn it on before you go in! And, There is no bath. My only sadness. I am sure there are some somewhere and perhaps it might be nice to warn bathlovers where they are or that such an such a room is bathless in Bath.

Christopher Richardson

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Francis Hotel. Many of our rooms do have baths; guests tend to request these when making their booking. Please ask us for your next visit and we will do our best to accommodate you in a room with a bath.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and i recently stayed in the Francis for two nights 11/12th Jan we have not stayed at this hotel for quite a few years opting for the hilton instead,but for this stay we decided to go for the Francis.
The hotel has undergone an extensive refit and is spot on. The staff were very friendly they made us feel at home. Our room was overlooking the square at the front of the hotel it was a little noisy due to traffic but not annoyingly so.
The only point regarding the room was that the tea and coffee facilities were in the wardrobe which would be fine except there was no power point for the kettle so we had to carry it out in to the room, nothing horrendous but just a little annoying.
The breakfast on our second morning was a little slap dash but the staff were very busy and could have done with more people on duty, the breakfast its self was very good.
All in all the Francis lived up to our expectations and we will definatly be staying there again.
We ate at Blancs brassiere it was quite nice mmmm.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are worth the extra !!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

It is nice to see guests returning to the Francis and I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

we stayed for one night - birthday treat. Very nice hotel friendly, efficient staff, nice room overlooking Queens Square, Large powerful shower and spotless bathroom. Only downside small fridge would have been nice. Super breakfast good selection of food.The decor and position are winners.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am delighted you enjoyed your birthday treat. I hope we see you for your next one!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

good refit on the hotel since last stay - helpful, courteous staff - but perennial problems of hotels in general still exist i.e. noisy a/c, noisy self-closing doors, noisy & inconsiderate other guests. double glazing would help eliminate traffic noise. shower was a bit weak, looseat wobbly & shaving mirror set too high even for a a tall person like me !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am pleased that you like the re-fit at the Hotel although concerned at some of the comments that you have made which we could correct. I would be grateful if you could send me some more details to h6636-gm@accor.com and we will do our best to action them.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Attended a hen party for my friends daughter (quiet affair) whilst they stayed in an apartment my friend and I stayed at The Francis for the one night with my partner arriving the following night. Bath is a very expensive area to stay in so the prices here are on a par with others of this rating. Car parking is on a first come first served basis at £15 a night. Decor is very interesting in itself and the various plaques along the corridor stating who lived in each house (hotel was previously made up of several houses joined together) when they were separate premises. Staff were very friendly, special mention to Thierry who made us more than welcome. Breakfast was slow, you have the usual continental self service, with full english etc cooked to order....which was a long time in coming. Second morning with my partner, we ordered as soon as we were seated and whilst it was a lot busier, it arrived quicker. The only downside to my stay was the room hadn't been converted from a twin for my first night to a double when my partner arrived, I am sure if i had reported this to reception they would have dealt with it, but to be honest having spent the morning in Bath thermae spa and then shopping all afternoon,I left it as a twin. The beds are soooo comfortable and the blackout curtains great.The hotel doesn't have its own restaurant, although Brasserie Blanc is in situ, you can eat there and charge it back to your room, although it gets very busy...recommend you book table. I would stay at the hotel again and the location is perfect with everything within walking distance

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you were happy with the choice you made not to stay with the hen party and we look forward to seeing you when you return to Bath again.