“A luxury weekend”

Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Leeds, UK
“A luxury weekend”
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Given the amount of time I spend in hotels on business I wanted to stay in a nice hotel that was a bit different for my boyfriends birthday. This was certainly that. I paid extra for one of the superior rooms and the one we were in was lovely. Huge four poster bed in a larger than usual room. The most comfortable bed i have slept in. Really soft feather mattress topper. The shower was fantastic walk in rain shower. Overall it felt really special. Location wise it's perfect as its within walking distance of everything. I'm glad I paid extra for the upgrade.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank shoelover009
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
I’m delighted that you and your boyfriend enjoyed his birthday break away, and we managed to make it extra special at the Francis. Why not treat yourself for your birthday – you deserve it!

Karen Bassett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Robertsbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

What a fantatsic location in the middle of Bath, with parking! Not sure about the decor - perhaps a bit too much going on?? Great staff and great breakfast though. Room (superior twin) fine but with a tiny bathroom - nowhere to put your washbag or toiletries. Quiet location but we had noisy pipes throughout the night. On balance I would recommend and stay here again for the location, staff and parking facility.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back overlooking the car park - there's obviously a much nicer view at fron...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your recommendations; I do hope we see you again soon.

Haverford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Lovely ambiance and decor. Breakfast well done. Reception staff was exceptional, knowledgeable and very lovely. Chocolates at turn down were delicious. One small enhancement needed is some drawers in the bedroom, especially if you are staying more than a few nights.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your positive review. We are in the process of making amendments to the wardrobe layout to incorporate drawer space; which I hope will be in situ should you stay with us again.

Wakefield
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We chose this hotel on our tour of southern England mainly due to the gushing reviews on here. What a huge let down.
We stayed 2 nights midweek, on a room only basis at a cost, including the compulsory parking charge of £15 per night, of £288. We chose not to pay £20 per person per night for breakfast in a 4 star hotel - even the Balmoral in Edinburgh only charges £14.50 and that is a 5 star hotel.
Using a Google map we found the hotel quite easily and parked our car.
At reception we found quite pleasant staff but not as switched on as expected. Off we went to our second floor room, number 211, and found a small room with a long narrow bathroom. The "view" was the car park along a narrow void between the hotel walls above the rear entrance. Nicely finished bathroom with typical 4 star 'luxuries' such as bathrobes.
The room was small by any standards but well decorated. Access to the tiny wardrobe was hindered by the desk under the television. The safe was on the top shelf in the wardrobe so diminishing space further. Just 2 small drawers in the desk for clothes despite a good space in the bay window recess, ideal for a small chest of drawers. The bed was comfortable for my partner but I found it not so.
We ate out and returned to the bar for a drink. This is a nice pleasant area with quality furniture and fittings. However, the ambience soon deteriorated when 2 loud mouth 'yobs', sorry they were actually GUESTS, started arguing with the hotel staff at reception and in the bar causing quite a scene. They were clearly drunk as one very loudly proclaimed to the Hungarian barman that he could get him a job as a class 2 lorry driver with take home pay of £650 a month. The duty manager and the staff tolerated these yobs for a very long time. In fact I offered to give the manager a hand to eject them but this was declined so we endured around an hour of this behaviour. After they left normality returned.
We went to bed around 11.30pm and the fun began. The room key card failed so a trip back down to get another. The occupants of the room above us were constantly on the move. We know this because EVERY step they took caused loud creaking from our ceiling. Fortunately they went to bed around midnight. Drifting off to sleep we were suddenly awoken by a very loud bang followed by a room door opening and closing loudly in the corridor outside. A few minutes later and this was repeated. Again and again at regular intervals of about 5 minutes. The loud bang was caused by the fire door directly attached to our room. No noise suppression fitted and no soft closure, just good old wood on wood. We went to sleep well after 1am. We do not know if this was one of the 'yobs'.
We did not ask for an alarm call but got one anyway when the occupants above woke up and started their seemingly never ending marching. Passing reception on our way out to go and visit the Roman baths, I spoke to a male there and explained we were not happy about the lack of sleep. He replied accusingly, "Why did you not phone the night porter?" Electing not to get into an argument on the highlight day of our tour, I said it might be better if we found somewhere else. He said he would try and and find another room.
Returning with some trepidation, around 5pm, the staff had now changed. I asked the young lady if our room had been sorted and of course she had no knowledge. Fortunately the computer came to her rescue and it seemed we had been moved to room 33. She told us our things had been moved for us and gave us a key for our new room. No apology.
The new room was at the back in a new part of the building, again overlooking the car park. However, this was a much larger room with a settee and table so we assume we were upgraded here. Checking our belongings we noticed they had been put back exactly where we had left them which was impressive. Except for the contents of the safe which were missing. Panic now and rush down to reception. They did not have a clue. The room was still unoccupied. So, back to room 211, open the safe and thank goodness, items were still there. Phew!
That evening we ate out again and went to the bar on return. I had a pint of Sarsons malt vinegar, sorry that should have read Marstons Pedigree but they tasted the same. The beer was flat and did actually taste of vinegar. The barman was very good and replaced it with more of the same. One sip and returned that also. Interesting to note that 2 other guests also declined this beer and instead went out into town.
At check out, after a quiet night's sleep, the girl asked if everything had been okay. Surely in an establishment so lauded by other reviewers the staff would be up to speed on the problems guests had suffered? Briefly explaining that no, everything was not okay, she said she could waive the car parking charge. Don't bother was the reply and we left.
One final point is the lack of the manager, Ms Karen Bassett, who has responded to reviews on here with regularity (as recent as 18th Sept as i write this). No sign of her, no offer to discuss the complaints, nothing. No deputy either. Silence. Perhaps she will have the good grace to respond on here where it is easier to deal with complaints, rather than face to face.

Room Tip: Avoid room 211 at all costs
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WakefieldYorkie
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send in a detailed review following your stay with us at the Francis. It is disheartening to see that you had a disappointing time at the Hotel.

I’m sorry that you were disappointed with the first room you were allocated. With regards to the bedroom size, being an old building made up of 7 individual houses all the bedrooms do vary and there is little uniformity with regards their size or shape. I would however emphasis to you that we always offer each and every bedroom at the Hotel with every confidence that our guests will be happy. I am extremely sorry that this was not the case for you and I am pleased that we were able to move you to a different room; although I do apologise that the contents of the safe were initially overlooked.

Unfortunately, we did have a problem that evening with two of our guests who had had too much to drink; they were refused service by our Barman and asked by the Duty Manager to go quietly back to their rooms, unfortunately we did find them walking along the corridor slamming doors and they were immediately spoken to as soon as we were made aware of it.

With regards the room change for you, This was done at the Duty Managers suggestion to ensure that you had a 2nd night of undisturbed rest. The Front Office Manager personally put an apology into your room along with a bottle of wine. He felt that he had resolved the situation agreeably and that you were satisfied with the room move and that no further action was required.

When you were checked out, Harleigh the Receptionist suggested that you talk to me then, before leaving, but this offer was declined. It is a shame I didn’t get the opportunity to meet you whilst you were here If you would like to discuss this further please contact me on 01225 424105 or email me on karen.bassett@accor.com.

Manchester
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Located in Queen's Square this hotel sits perfectly between the attractions of Bath's retail and leisure offers and the Circus and Royal Crescent.The hotel,9 former townhouses,is of course Georgian and a Grade 1 listed building.The somewhat idiosyncratic interior does little to reflect this listed status but the hotel is spacious and comfortable with friendly and helpful staff.We stayed for 3 nights midweek for £109 per night for two on a B+B basis.....excellent value.Parking in Bath is difficult and the hotel does have a carpark but note it will cost you £15 per night to park there.Bearing this in mind and the current cost of diesel we opted to journey by train fromManchester for about the same monies....you don't need a car in Bath!!!!This arrangement plus the hotel made our stay in Bath one of our most enjoyable in the UK.Food at the hotel is,for breakfast,served in their own bright and comfortable breakfast room and for lunch and dinner you can visit the Brasserie Blanc which occupies the east of the ground floor.My wife and I dined there for my birthday and we were completely underwhelmed by the food and the atmosphere!!!

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room as high up as possible and received one at the rear overlooking a reasonab...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your extremely constructive review. You are absolutely correct – you don’t need a car in Bath! Everything is within walking distance. I am delighted you enjoyed your birthday dinner in Brasserie Blanc and hope we see you next year for your next one!.

Essex
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This hotel has an excellent position and has been quite smartly refurbished. The room was comfortable and the breakfast generally OK; the price I paid was fair (£218 for two nights' B and B for one person in a double room).

I do think, though, that there are some problems with organisation. When I arrived (admittedly 20 minutes early) to check in, I was told the room was not quite ready - fair enough, though most places I go are ready before time. I waited until 20 minutes after the advertised time, the reason being that some people had checked out late - not my problem! Tea and a biscuit were brought to placate me but really I wanted to get into the room. If there is generally insufficient time between the checkout deadline of 12 noon and the room being ready at 2 pm, it would be better to extend the checkin time to 3 pm in my view.

Next morning the man in charge at breakfast showed me what there was to eat with some pride, and suggested I sat near the buffet. When I went in search of butter and milk, he said I had sat in the wrong place - that area of the room was closed. There was nothing to indicate this and I was not the only one sitting there. It was "not a problem, of course", but actually I felt it was.

The next morning he did not acknowledge me at all until forced to do so, though he made a great fuss of others. Three people asked me for my cooked breakfast order, but it didn't arrive until I pointed out that someone who arrived later had received his, and asked what had happened to mine.

In the afternoon I was sitting in the lounge reading while waiting to take my bag down to the station. It seems you can't just be sitting there relaxing - you have to be repeatedly asked if you want anything.

Good service, to my mind, means that if you ask for something, it arrives reasonably quickly. I don't want to be asked whether I want something.

I'm in two minds about returning to this hotel. It's not relaxing to experience this kind of fussy service - though to judge from my experiences in London this summer, it seems as if it's what we're all condemned to suffer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MontpellierOne
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the Francis earlier in the month.

I am sorry that the room was not ready when you arrived; we do advertise that the check in time is from 2.00pm; this is always depends on how full the hotel was the previous night and at what time the guests leave. Often guest will leave much earlier than the 12.00 noon check out time so we will have rooms available earlier than 2.00pm. I am pleased that you were offered tea and biscuits while you were waiting.

I am very sorry that you found the service for breakfast to be erratic; this should not have been the case and my F&B Manager has asked to be associated with my apologies.

Staff are trained to approach guests in the hotel to see if there is anything we can do for them; it is a shame that you were asked on more than one occasion and I am sorry if you found this to be fussy.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Good check in and location was very central to Bath. Bath is a great place to go with fantastic restaurants and attractions - this Hotel served all the main ones very well.

I stayed in a feature room which was individually decorated and had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!!

The rooms were not huge but good enough size. Bathrooms not massive but well designed. Only had a shower in the one we were in.

Breakfast on the first day was a little disorganised and people were walking out without their food, but we were served quickly. 2nd day was much better and we had breakfast in bed on the third morning which was great for only £5 extra (if you are on the breakfast rate)

Overall great location but I felt it was a little expensive and you could get more for your money elsewhere. It was also quiet noisy at night but that's because you are in the town centre nothing to be done about that.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room at the back of the hotel for a quiet nights sleep
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I’m pleased you had a comfortable night’s sleep and hope you return to have another one! We do have rooms which have baths if you would like one – just either ask for one when you call or make a request if you do it online.