“Lovely hotel, great location will visit again!”
Review of Hilton Bath City

Hilton Bath City
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Came here to stay on my own as part of a conference, and have been to bath many times before but knowing the location of the hilton thought it was one of the safest for me to return to on my own. I'm not sure that's entirely true as the walk home to the hotel was a little worrying on my own, so I'd suggest doing it in pairs.

The hotel itself was lovely. The room I stayed in 335 was huge, so well kept, beautiful bathroom, all in all I literally have nothing to complain about with the room. The fitness suite was really well equipped, the breakfast was very good and very varied.

The bar area was nice, quite loud on the Friday night but even still nice. The only downside was the price, the drinks were ridiculously highly priced for what they were.

The staff were on the whole very good. One member of staff, which stopped this review from being a five out of five just treated me as seems to be the norm now, as not important as other guests as I was on my own. Offering the others that things could be cooked for them etc.. And just plonking coffee down on my table and not saying a word.
I think lots of places can learn how they treat singles, as I've come across the whole of this trip. You need everyone's business not. Just couples or groups, we all contribute to profit.

Having said that I would totally recommend this hotel just give all staff a bit better customer service training.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
JacquelineGayler, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your business stay with us. I am glad to read how much you enjoyed the facilities in your room and had the opportunity to use the fitness suite during your stay. However, I am extremely disappointed to hear of the lack of customer service you received in the restaurant at breakfast and were made to feel unwelcome. Please be assured, the comments and observations you have made will be brought to the attention of the Restaurant Manager and Supervisors for them to address with their teams. I apologise for the experience you encountered in this part of the hotel and we appreciate your recommendation of our hotel and its facilities, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,942)

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I've been staying here on and off for a few years now and in the last couple of years they have refurbished the public areas, however the rooms seem to have been neglected and are looking quite tired and dated. I arrived early on Saturday 1st March and dropped the bags off as check in wasn't until 3pm. Around 1.30 I felt a bit unwell as I'd picked up a cold a couple of days before so I went back to the hotel in case a room was available. It wasn't, so I said I'd sit in the café and the receptionist said she'd let me know as soon as a room became free. My wife arrived just before 3, unaware that I was already at the hotel and they gave her the room key straight away. My only conclusion is that a room had become available but I'd been forgotten about. So not a great start. Upon entering the room, both windows were open letting in all the cold air on a chilly March afternoon, making the room unpleasantly cold. There is some form of hot air heating but no instructions on how to operate it. After randomly pushing buttons for a few minutes with no effect, I called reception who told me they would sort it out. Nothing happened. After closing the windows it became apparent that there was a heavy smell of cigarette smoke in the room and we discovered ash on top of the fridge. Assuming a rogue smoker had just departed, we concluded that to be the reason for the open windows. Having just invested in a tablet device I discovered that guests get shafted for more cash for using wifi in the rooms, although public areas are free (for 1 hours use). I stay in hotels on business and this is the first time I've seen a charge for wifi in the room, so not happy. Coming in and out of the room during the stay, the fag smell was quite unpleasant but we had unpacked and didn't want to have to change rooms so didn't mention it. But on the morning of our departure we noticed a tiny sign on the room door saying that our rooms is a 'designated smoking room'. I thought smoking in hotels was outlawed but reception said this is not the case and even though I'd booked a non smoking room they gave us a smoking one hoping I wouldn't mind and neglecting to mention it at the time. They offered a £40 discount which was accepted but I'd rather have had a non smoking room. Overall, a poor experience. Also, whoever designed the breakfast area must have been blind drunk at the time as you are constantly having to walk around blind corners and avoid guests coming in the opposite direction carrying hot food. This design needs to be altered. I book the Hilton primarily for the location but will look into staying elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. There is a pub, opposite and at the front which has an outs...
1  Thank Chazley
JacquelineGayler, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that your stay was marred by the allocation of a smoking room, having booked a non-smoking room and we regret that this was not brought to our attention whilst in-house at the hotel, as reception would have gladly moved your room for you. Whilst it did not excuse any oversight regarding your booking, I am happy to hear that reception remunerated you by way of an apology and for any inconvenience caused. We welcome and value all our guests’ feedback and thank you for your honest and constructive comments. I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

An adequate place to stay no frills or extras but ok as a base when travelling . For a beautiful city like Bath it was a surprise how much the hotel resembled a 70s block of flats . Some much more characterful places to stay if Id researched better

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your review and I am glad your stay was satisfactory. Similarly, that you found us ideally located for visiting the historic city of Bath. I understand your feedback regarding the exterior brickwork of the hotel, which was built in the early 70's. Regrettably, atheistically the hotel does not have the same architectural appeal and character as do most of the other buildings in Bath.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The outside of the hotel looks a little drab and it is not immediately clear where you can park your car, although there is a notice in the entrance that tells you to use the 'short' stay underneath and that you can park there the whole time you are staying in the hotel.
The reception desk is a bit small for a modern, busy, city centre hotel and so there was a bit of a wait to book in on a Friday afternoon. However once we got our turn I was a little disappointed that the girl dealing with us decided to answer the phone in the middle, not really the attention to the customer that you would expect and certainly the first time it has ever happened to me in a Hilton or one for their subsidiaries.
Only one lift was working as the other seemed to be under repair or up grade. Fortunately we were on the first floor so it wasn't too bad carrying the cases up the stairs Our room was clean, neat and contemporary. However the bathroom was a bit small, with a huge metal bin in it! It also had the worse shower head on the shower over the bath, certainly not a power shower, more a dribble! Hilton would do well to rip out the bath and just have a shower.
It is also about time that Hotels started with free wi-fi for guests!
The buffet breakfast was kept refreshed and nothing appeared to be stale.
The hotel is in a great position for visiting Bath. Just five minutes walk into the city centre. Next time we come to Bath, we will most definitely use this hotel again

Room Tip: Rooms not overlooking the street are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elf_Bowman
JacquelineGayler, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am glad to read that you would stay with us again regardless of having experienced an issue with the water pressure in the shower. However, I am happy to hear that your room was clean, neat and the breakfast buffet refreshed. We do apologise for the inconvenience of one lift being out of service, as this was due to essential maintenance work, your patience and understanding regarding this is very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The hotel was clean, in a central location and the staff were friendly and efficient. The room was pleasant and a good size, and nicely decorated. There isn't free parking, but there is a car park under the hotel. Be warned, it costs you £15 every time you leave. The most disappointing feature of the hotel was the £15 daily charge for wifi. I found this extortionate, especially as most hotels now offer free wifi.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. Your compliments of our hotels location, decor, friendly and efficient staff are very appreciated, thank you. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

got a 'deal' of a room rate of £100 for a standard double room at the City's Hilton hotel. Reception is small and is located to the right as you enter. One lift out of action and one lift working so when we got to out small room with larger than average bathroom we were just happy to drop our bags. Its best feature is its location. Next door is Waitrose and right on the edge of the centre of Bath's shopping area. We parked in the hotel car park but that was another £15 standard charge. Doors shut loudly so we got woken up in the night with late night revellers. Hallways smelt of food and other unpleasant smells and the corridors themselves need refurbishing. Expedia didn't book the room direct despite my booking with expedia so we got the last room which happened to be a smoking room.

Room Tip: try and get a river view so avoiding traffic and pedestrian noise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and indeed, we are very fortunate with our hotels central city location, which is ideal for exploring Bath City. We do apologise for the inconvenience of a lift being out of service at the time of your stay, but this was due to essential maintenance works, your patience and understanding regarding this are very much appreciated. We hope to welcome you back next time you are in the South West of England.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This is a nice Hilton hotel in the centre of Bath.

Clean rooms, decent breakfasts, and great staff – they were very efficient, and willing to go the extra mile for guests.

However, it is a shame that they charge high prices for really dodgy WiFi – £15 a day!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. Your compliments of our hotels clean rooms, famous Hilton breakfast and efficient staff are a pleasure to read. We hope to welcome you back soon.