“Can't wait to return!”

Ranked #20 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
Wisconsin
“Can't wait to return!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Dorian House is a wonderful B & B in Bath. Our stay was the second weekend in April for 3 nights and we couldn't have been happier. I previously stayed at Dorian House in 2005, so I knew when I booked that it was a really nice place. This time was even better. All the rooms have been refurbished and they added a really lovely conservatory breakfast room that looks out at the garden. The beds were extremely comfortable - it made it very hard to get up in the morning! We were actually a party of 5 (2 couples and 1 single - my father), so we occupied 3 rooms. It was very nice when my father told me I had made a great choice. My husband and I had a wonderful conversation with one of the receptionists, Katherine, one evening when we went downstairs to have a glass of wine before bed. The next evening our party had wine and beer in the drawing room before going to dinner at a restaurant nearby that Katherine recommended. We had left our map book in the drawing room when we left and Katherine actually arrived early to work the next morning so she could return it to us before we left for London. I love a good English breakfast and Dorian House does it really well. All in all, it was a lovely stay and I can't wait to return. Our first choice in Bath will always be Dorian House.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed three nights at this great property. Wine tasting one evening was a nice addition as the owners were reviewing some new wines. Fantastic breakfast and a superb room (Du Pre) with a lovely comfortable bed. Bit of a walk to city centre but it is downhill and we got a taxi back each time very easily.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 5, 2013

It took me awhile to write this review, but stayed several days at Dorian House while touring Bath almost a year ago. The hotel is on a residential street, near the top of a hill behind the city center. We had two rooms, one on the ground floor near the stairs (Slava I believe) and du Pre, which was up a flight of stairs by itself. Slava, since it was next to the stairs and off the entryway, had a heavy curtain you could pull across the door to further muffle noise and ensure privacy. The hotel is beautifully furnished--I would love to live here. Both modern and true to the historical period without being twee or precious. The rooms themselves were spacious, bright, clean and full of amenities such as still and sparkling water, tea, coffee and cocoa facilities, down comforters, tv, and nice toiletries. My room, Slava, had a clawfoot bathtub that I enjoyed a good soak in every night--you could even watch tv while taking a bath. For mornings, the walk-in shower was quite luxurious. The du Pre room did not have quite the luxe bathing options, instead a more standard bathroom, but as my father stayed there it didn't matter. This was by far the best hotel we stayed in while in England (all over). Breakfast--your full English--is served in a lovely atrium and was delicious (I want to marry that bacon). There is also a lounge with a computer to use. A little further up the hill is the "local" pub, (I think it's The Bear--the hotel will tell you) that was really delightful, a friendly bartender, food and great beer.

The only slight drawback is the walk back up the hill to the hotel after a long day on your feet. It is about a 15 minute walk from town, but only about 5 or so pound taxi ride. It's really not that big of a deal, and it is nice to stay in a neighborhood. There is parking at the hotel, but it is on a hill and a touch treacherous (especially if you're not used to the cars/driving on the left). Be warned you will pull in and have to back up downhill, maneuvering around the other cars. The staff was pleasant but not overly friendly (I just returned from Ireland where I effectively had to devise getaways to exit conversations with the staff), and available most of the day and night. Also, I wish the chairs in my room were a wee bit more comfortable for sitting, but then I tend to think most mid-century modern furniture might be better used in interrogation rooms in prison. Overall, this is one of the best lodging experiences I've ever had, and I would absolutely return again.

Pros:
> Beautifully decorated
> Luxurious linens, towels
> Very spacious, comfortable rooms with boutique hotel amenities
> Nice views from rooms
> Nice staff
> Yummy breakfast

Cons:
> Not in city center, a bit of a walk

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Dorian House is a beautiful place. We stayed for one night in Tallis - a large beautiful room on the second floor with views over Bath.

On early arrival we were able to leave our car at Dorian House and walk into town (10 minutes stroll). The staff were very friendly and we had a great time chatting to the owners at a complimentary wine tasting evening. The breakfast was cooked and continental with ample choice.

We would definitely stay with Tim Hugh and his staff again.

Room Tip: We recommend Tallis, one of the biggest rooms on the second floor. It feels as if you are the only o...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in ground floor room which was a little bit like a cave although very comfortable. Bathrobes were provided but would suggest flip flops as well due to tiled floor being very cold. Bathroom good but water pressure and hot watersometimes lacking at peak times.
Breakfast excellent, selection of fruit, cereals, cooked breakfast, pastries etc. I agree with other reviewer that the beans in a little dish was not quite right. The bacon was very tasty but I would have preferred a thinner cut.
Parking can be difficult due to steep site but owner provided a parking permit to park on the street.
15 minute downhill walk to town but not a walk you would want to do to often to get back to Dorian House. Extensive information available on what is available in Bath although some of the brochures were a little out of date and could be updated. Longleet reasonably close and some lovely countryside back roads to explore.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have had the pleasure of staying at Dorian House on a couple of other occasions and was very pleased to find that this had not gone unnoticed by them,as they had left us a small returning gift. We always find the rooms very clean and the shower is nice and powerful which is needed after the good nights sleep you get (apart from late returners which is not their fault). We always stay in the cheapest room but even though its a little small it's more than enough. We went with some friends and they paid a bit extra and for that little they got a really nice sized room so can only imagine what the best rooms are like. Breakfast is served in a nice setting out back of house and you get a lovely selection of fruit,cereals,cooked,pastries etc. We have found the staff very welcoming and it's only a 5 - 10 min walk into town it just has a bit of a hill which is fine going in as downhill but a little struggle coming home so recommend a taxi which was only £5.

Room Tip: Pay for the more expensive rooms if you can afford it but cheaper rooms are fine
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David E
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were in the ground floor room which has its own door onto the garden area, which was ideal for us. The room was spotlessly clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. As for location its no more than a 15 minute walk into the city centre. Breakfast was good too, well cooked and plenty of choices.

Reading other reviews everyone goes on about how comfortable the bed was but I found ours extremely uncomfortable and it felt like a big gap in the middle of the bed. Also the headboard was the most irritating thing that thudded against the wall every time you rolled over. I would've liked a guide to what the coffee was for the coffee machine, all different colours but I had no idea and think I kept adding milk to expressos'!

Overall worth the money and a good stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple