“The price didnt reflect the quality” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wentworth House

Wentworth House
Ranked #152 of 192 Bath B&B and Inns
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“The price didnt reflect the quality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Often when loking for places to stay i check out the facilities first then then price and often compare if the place in my eyes is worth it. Unfortunaly the promise of wswimming pool and hot tub were not quite as they seemed when i stayed. First impression is the photos shown lead you to believe it is a hotel off the beaten track when in reality its on the side of a quite bust road with not much on site parking and not as secure as i would like. We were welcomed inside and straight away offered a free upgrade! so we were quite plesed then when we got in to the room were surprised to see a 4 poster bed! Then we sat on it and well it groaned creaked i though it was going to fall apart..lol The room itslef really was too small to accomidate this bed it practically had no floor space left, the decor was erm mismatched and was to say the least dated and very tired, with some evidance of water leaking still present on the ceiling, the bathroom was tiny with a single cubical shower, an ill fitting toilet seat and some cracked tiles and sink, it really didn't make you feel at ease with using it. I remeber looking for the pool which to my surpise was full of green water with he gardens under going so building re-landscaping and then the price list to use the free hot tub i think at around £6pp phour yet it mentioned as being free on the wbsite when we booked, didnt really matter though as the building works went under way they were all out of action. The breakfast was tasty and buffet style for cerials and toast, the cooked meal itself was quite minimul and for a little enterainment on one of our mornings there someone jammed too much bread in to the toaster (no supervision) and set off the fire alarm. Infact we only ever saw two members of staff, 1 on the day we checked in and the other on the day we checked out.

Room Tip: Check to make sure or facilities and prices you may need to pay to use them.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DgandLg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

We have just returned from a midweek mini break at Wentworth House. We booked, and then read the reviews so I was very nervous driving in! My initial impression as driving in was that the house had character. When stepping inside, I felt the decor was quirky and full of character and life! The gentlemen who was looking after us during our stay was exceptionally charming and pleasant, extremely polite and professional and made just the right amount of conversation with us! The room itself was interesting, I want to use the word quirky here again! It was tastefully decorated, and I think we had one of the cheaper rooms. The shower was cold, however we learnt if you leave the hot water tap running in the sink, the shower gets hot also!
Breakfast was delicious with a huge variety, and all good quality products, and you eat in a conservatory overlooking the lovely garden and pool.
Overall, I found the place to be a charming little gem! It was close to the centre of Bath, although painful walking back at night up that hill! I'm surprised it has been rated only 2 stars, I'd give it a higher rating, the charming helpful gentleman provided us with 5 star service!
If I come back to Bath I will definitely come here again!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

At first i thought the hotel was reasonably priced for a night but i was under the illusion that we had access to the hot tub which, for a mini break for my husband and I, seemed lovely. The Man at the desk didn't mention anything about it and all the information i saw said it was available to use for an extra charge. I found the room in need of some TLC, It wasn't dirty as such but felt like it was. The bed wasn't very comfortable and i found that the staff weren't amazingly friendly. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NicS48

Travelers are raving about these Bath hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed there for a night...and it was more than enough. This hotel needs serious renovations. Smelly rooms, dirt, cold showers, bed not comfortable at all. The breakfast is actually ok. But I suppose there are better places to stay around Bath.

1 Thank Marion B
wrexham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I think to get the most from this hotel you need to go with a sense of humour! We stayed here after booking and then reading the reviews, not really the best way to go about it! We found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly, which is the main good point of the hotel.
We stayed in room 9, which has a four poster bed which was very comfortable. When we got to our room we noticed that the blind on one of the windows had fallen off, we couldn't work out how to put it back, but we informed the manager who quickly sorted that out for us whilst we were out, however it had fallen off again by the time we got back. The manager put it back again, but by morning it had fallen off again. The manager was not surprised as this seems to be a feature of this blind, the blinds did not match the room decoration, but we're not too bothered by that, but some people might be. Anyway the blind was sorted and didn't fall off again during our stay, although we couldn't actually use the blind! The bathroom was ok, but not luxurious by any stretch of the imagination! Everything my husband touched in the room fell off or broke (including the soap dispensers in the shower and by the sink). As I said you need a sense of humour!
Over all the hotel needs some TLC, the paint on the outside of the windows is peeling and needs to be redone. Overall the hotel needs a lick of paint and some time and money invested in it. It could be lovely. In our room we found that there were marks on the walls, not terrible, just were furniture had been moved. On the subject of furniture the rooms could do with some new stuff, the wardrobe in our room didn't have any proper handles, just a little knob where the handles used to be. But it didn't really matter to us!
Housekeeping in the rooms could do with a bit more effort; our room wasn't made up in the way you'd expect. For instance the bed wasn't made up properly in the morning and the tea and coffee wasn't restocked. The cups weren't cleaned either, but that is something that we could easily do ourselves, I just expected it to be done.
On our second night we decided to have a drink in the bar, which wasn't terribly overpriced for a hotel. We decided to play chess as there was a board, and in keeping with the hotel there was a piece missing, it's a pawn by the way, so we, in the spirit of adventure, replaced it with a £1.00 coin (we kept the coin after so don't expect it to be there when you go). We then decided to play cards, guess what, there was a card missing! 10 of clubs if you're interested, we replaced that with a joker. None of it is the end of the world, but I can see why other people might not think the hotel is very good!
The pool was constantly covered whilst we were there, but I think that is to be expected with the weather we've had, I certainly wouldn't like to use it at the moment! The pool did look clean though.
As for breakfast, we were happy with what was offered. Although both mornings I sent my cooked breakfast back to be redone. The eggs were not cooked properly, well not to my liking! The whites were not set, I had fried egg one morning and poached the next. It's just the way I am; I don't like the whites to be still jelly like! But they happily redid it for me. I know I'm fussy!
The hotel is quite away out of the city, but there are good bus links, and the walk in to town is all downhill! We got the bus back up, the number 14 or later the 14A, which you can get at the bus station. The hotel doesn't do evening meals at the moment, but if you don't want to go into Bath for a meal there are a couple of restaurants less than a 5 minutes walk from the hotel. There is a VERY good and reasonably priced Indian restaurant, which does excellent veggie food as well as meat. It doesn't have a license but you can take your own wine, there are plenty of shops where you can buy some if you want to take some.
Well, to sum up, I think that the hotel itself needs some care and attention, the staff are lovely, but for the standard of decor and location the hotel is actually overpriced. The pictures on the website make the hotel look MUCH better than it actually is! I will say though that I have stayed at "better" hotels and been very unimpressed with the staff and bathroom! If the hotel was less expensive I would consider staying again, but purely because the staff were so helpful. Anyway, if you go with a sense of humour and don't expect perfection this is a nice hotel, but please don't believe the pictures on their website!

Room Tip: Room 9 is on the first floor at the front.
1 Thank Helen G
Bergen, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Me and family stayed here for a few nights in may 2012. The straff was friendly enough, but the room was not good! The bed was horrible and the radiator in the room made noises all night long. It was not a good night sleep and we could not get a new room. However the others i traveled with had a lovley time. I guess i was unlucky and got the worst room. It was not worth the money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline C
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Wentworth House Hotel for four nights, and had an amazing experience. The staff we were polite, really friendly and helpful, and the room was lovely. It was clean, spacious, and with a very sizeable bathroom. The room had a digital TV and tea/coffee facilities/sachets which were replaced daily - a really pleasant feature. The breakfast was also brilliant - a choice of cereals and pastries, as well as the option for a cooked breakfeast, all of which were lovely. The walk to the city centre was also a relatively short one (about 15 min's), with bus stops just nearby too. Overall, we had a brilliant time, and would definitly come back again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple