“Wonderful 2”
Review of Brocks Guest House

Brocks Guest House
Ranked #64 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The owners and staff bent over backwards to make our wedding party stay a truely wonderful occasion. They really cared about us, and nothing was to much trouble for them. I would definately stay here again.
If you read this, and are planning a wedding in Bath Spa your guests won't find a better place to stay than Brocks.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We came to stay for the weekend for my Step-Daughters wedding. Not only did we feel at home, we were treated like family. If there was a perfect guest house this is surely it, nothing was too much trouble, even down to lending some 'fake tanning' lotion. The venue for the bride to prepare for her day was exquisite, red carpet outside, bucks fizz, and a huge mirror, all the essentials! We had extra people dropping in to help, (and hinder), but Karen , Rachel and all their staff just, carried on being there if we needed them, or invisible when not. Thank you so much for making our time so relaxing, and Gemma's day so perfect. Sue S.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Brocks is an absolute gem and we are unable to fault any aspect of our stay. We had a very warm welcome from Karen at the end of a very long days walking and were immediately given bottles of chilled water to revive us. The rooms were pristine and breakfast excellent and the icing on the cake was the parking pass which allowed us to have the car immediately opposite the property.
Would definitely recommend Brocks to anyone visiting Bath as in addition to all of the above it is in a really central location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Have just this minute returned from a mini-break to Bath with my eldest daughter and the icing on the cake was this fantastic guest house. I spent a long time researching the perfect guest house: close to the centre but quiet; nice rooms; not too expensive. And from the moment I first rang for information to the sad moment when we left it was absolutely perfect. I can not fault it in any way.

Room Tip: Room no 1 was a twin room overlooking the garden. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I recently stayed at Karen and Rachel's wonderful Brocks Guest House while working with Hilton Fine Art Gallery just around the corner. I had a very busy time with the private view and dinner with clients and though out my stay the staff were fantastic, at one point even helping me to carry paintings to and fro. I would recommend Brocks to everyone, but especially to business travellers just for the level of support I received while I was there. The parking pass alone meant I could leave my car right outside the guest house and not have to worry about it. They made a very stressful time for me a lot easier, I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank maggie m
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Brocks Guest House is in a great location being smack dab in between the Circus & The Royal Crescent. It is a lovely Georgian townhouse with 5 floors & very nicely decorated. Rachel met us and was very helpful in getting us a parking pass & showing us around the guest house. When we had questions about the Roman Baths & the Spa she was very helpful in calling around to see if we could bring our kids (the spa doesn't take kids under 16 which was disappointing in that we came to Bath to have a Bath)!

We booked the family room - which is on the very top floor so lugging your suitcases up is quite a challenge. But Rachel was there to offer a hand. The room itself was very tastefully decorated but we could have used a bit more room to store our luggage as there were 4 of us sharing the room.

Breakfast was great & it offered other options other than the traditional English breakfast such as blueberry pancakes (which my kids loved) and omelettes (which we loved).

My only complaint is that the guest lounge gets locked up by 9:30 pm so that meant that after putting the kids to bed we had nowhere to sit & relax over a glass of wine. After we put a call in to Karen she suggested that we could have our drink in our room (quite impossible with kids trying to get to sleep) so we ended up feeling like naughty children being told to go to bed as there was nowhere else to go. Fortunately, there was a lovely bistro next door & that is where we had to go for our glass of wine. Our thought is that if you are running a guest house, then it really should be like a second home away from home & the "guest" lounge should be open to guests when they need it.

Other than that, Brocks Guest House is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank momxtwo
Brocks H, Manager at Brocks Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, especially my home-cooked pancakes and omelettes. I take pride in the fact that I prepare & cook everything fresh myself every day. It is an old family tradition of mine that everyone is well fed.

Rachel my daughter is proving to be a wonderful host, front of house and is always happy to help and advise our guests.
I should point out that Brocks has 3 floors not 5 and although the family room is on the 3rd & top floor, we will always offer to help carry our guests luggage.

I am sorry if you felt upset about not being able to drink in the lounge after 10pm. I do hope you can understand that as we are a Bed & Breakfast establishment and not a hotel, we do not have a bar or drinks licence nor do we have evening or night porters or additional evening or night staff. It is just my daughter and myself working from 7.00am and as you rang down at 10pm at night for us to re-open the Lounge. It was perhaps a little short sighted to have assumed that we should then wait for you to finish your drinks. I must admit after reading your review I was suprised to discover that you had left your young children in their beds and gone out to a bistro.
I would suggest maybe next time you book a B&B you should check if a bar is available. I must point out to any potential guests that on health & safety grounds we would prefer that you do not leave young children unattended at any time.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Brocks was a marvelous discovery. Prior to our arrival, Rachel and Karen were most helpful in answering my email questions regarding various attractions in Bath. As a previous review noted, the B&B was challenging to locate at first--we didn't spot the house number on our first pass. Parking was challenging, since we arrived on a hot sunny Sunday afternoon when the city was filled with day-trippers. But once we sorted that out, things went smoothly. Rachel recommended a nearby gastro pub, The Chequers for our Sunday supper. Wonderful Sunday roasts and not outrageously priced. We had the family room on the top floor, No. 8, which sleeps 4. While not spacious, it was comfortable and homey. We arrived during the recent record-breaking heat wave. The room had an oscillating fan, and with the window open, the room was comfortable despite the heat. Breakfasts were delicious and quite filling. Our son is not a fan of eggs, so he was delighted to find alternatives on the menu. The house is in a great location, so you can easily walk everywhere. Once you find a legal parking spot, you really don't want to move your car during the day. At night, I highly recommend the torchlight tour of the Roman Baths and the hysterical Bizarre Bath walking tour, which is more comedy improv than walking tour.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family