“A very special place! - romantic, relaxing and refreashing.”
Review of Bloomfield House

Bloomfield House
Ranked #41 of 158 Bath B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rhyl, United Kingdom
“A very special place! - romantic, relaxing and refreashing.”
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Very easy to find, just out of town small family run hotel. We went by train and took bus number 14 up the hill to the hotel and had a nice easy down hill stroll into town. At this hotel you get plenty of every thing!!! No skimping you feel relaxed form the moment you check in. There is no rushing to get rid of you which makes all the difference especially if you are just there for the night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Location: Bloomfield House is most the way up a pretty serious hill, so it takes about twenty minutes to walk up from Bath, but walking to Bath takes a little more than ten minutes. You pass various eateries and convenience stores on your way up, so it's very helpful if you haven't managed to grab a bite or bottle in central Bath. The walk into Bath is a pretty quite one if you take the managers' advice about which way to walk. The neighborhood is a little more crowded than I anticipated; I had thought, from the pictures, that it would be kind of rural and have lots of open land around it, but it did not; it is more suburban than rural. This was an initial disappointment (I had envisioned a picnic in the yard), but it didn't really matter in the end, as I stayed in central Bath most of the time anyway.

Eco: The Bloomfield House advertises itself as an Eco hotel. I was impressed by the subtle ways the rooms were eco-friendly (such as the recycled paper "trash bag" in the trash can). The food was, quite obviously, more pointedly local and organic than the other B&Bs I stayed in, so I think they've earned their designation.

Public spaces: Wow! The murals, chandeliers, china, everything! So country house-glamorous! I hope I can replicate that style in my own house someday. Prepare to be impressed.

Room: My room and bed were pretty small and simple. For the reasonable price I paid (considering other places to stay in expensive Bath), it was not any smaller or simpler than I had any right to expect. (Also, I was traveling alone, so I am sure the other rooms are much bigger.) It was well-decorated; in particular, I remember a pretty beveled hanging mirror and matching "classical house" theme tapestries on the bed and curtains. My bathroom was outdated in terms of decor, but the great vintage bathtub and truly wonderful selection of bath products made up for that.

Food: The breakfast was a standard English breakfast made just that much better by the local products. The eggs, for example, had that deep orange yolk that signifies a clean-livin' hen. They don't normally serve beans with their breakfast, but when I asked, they were more than happy to oblige. The spread of juices and milk was better than average, and when I had to wake up earlier than scheduled breakfast time to make my train, they offered kindly to make me breakfast whenever I needed it, and gave me some brioche to-go so I'd have a snack on the train. Really kind.

Amenities: I don't remember seeing any other public rooms than the dining room. The yard did have a lot of picnic tables and umbrellas that I would've taken advantage of had the weather been better. I had a few problems with the wifi due to the age and construction of the house: thick walls are hard for signals to get through. They were more than happy to help me work through the problem, and I was able to get on the internet the first night I was there because they worked with me on it. The wifi signal was never great, but it was enough for me to contact my friends and family, so I was pleased with that. Other rooms may not have any problem at all with the wifi signal; my room happened to be in a bad spot.

Overall, I would go again if I bring my husband and get a larger room. In terms of typical Bath accommodations, Bloomfield House is more stylish and cozy.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Twickenham
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Rooms beautifully furnished with antiques, wonderful views over Bath. The four poster bed extremely comfortable.
Breakfast - a feast of locally sourced produce and very generous.
Owners - Have an easy relaxed feel, mdae to feel very welcome.
Parking - plenty of room to park and free.
Walking - if find walk up to property too much - the local cabs are cheaper than the bus when a group travelling together.
Will visit again definately.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Twickenham
Reviewed March 28, 2010

9 of us descended on this poor family, who greeted us with warmth and a genuine interest in looking after our every need. We stayed in the smaller four poster bedroom, pretty but cold,not much of a problem, was amazed to find a complimentary bottle of port in our room just in case we needed a night cap. Amazed that something as small as this made us feel so special! Breakfast OMG ! anything (almost) your heart desired, so accommodating. Beautiful house, could not believe the owners had 5 children, 2 dogs, several cats, barely saw or heard of any. Will be back again soon!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
southampton
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Georgian hotel with character and friendly atmosphere, great full english breakfast made with organic and farmers market produce and our every need catered for and more. About a mile to the edge of the city center so about a 20 minute walk although all up hill to walk back. The owners Karen and Robert Barnard-Weston made us feel very welcome and supplied us with maps, public transport options and eating guides of the city. Very relaxed family atmosphere breakfast with as little or as much food as you wanted, set in the dinning room over looking the gardens. Room was clean and comfortable with traditional georgian features.
Bath city was beautiful with a huge number of shops, restaurants and bars. Would recommed a trip to the thermal spa, the tour of the roman baths and simply walking around the city with the river avon, parks and fantastic archatectural buildings.
We will certainly be visting the hotel and city again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
yorkshire
Reviewed March 16, 2010

spent 2 very pleasant nights here.Nothing too much trouble for the owners who genuinely care about people enjoying themselves.The breakfasts were lovely..free range eggs and bacon etc.The bedroom was full of beautiful furniture and very comfy 4 poster bed.One of the highlights was stopping to talk to the many lovely resident cats ! Also handy 15 min walk into Bath...we just left our car in hotel car park.Plenty teas and coffees and nice biccies in our room.Only negative was bathroom badly decorated paint chipping off and messy holes in walls which was a shame considering the room price.Lots of useful info on places to see and list of restaurants with prices etc given on arrival.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
SOUTHAMPTON
Reviewed December 9, 2009

20 minute walk to town centre is doable when going into town (all downhill!), recommend a bus or taxi back. The room we stayed in was very well furnished and the bed was very comfortable. Karen and Robert make you feel most welcome; don't bank on a quick start though if you get into conversation with Robert over breakfast (Karen's full English is a must); he's a great raconteur with a lot of knowledge on many subjects!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple