“lovely hotel”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed June 18, 2014

we stayed on night on our way to wales, but it was not long enough. The hotel is lovely and the service excellent. The room was adequate if a little dated, but had everything we needed. A short walk from the town centre meant we could go out for a less expensive dinner than was offered in the hotel. The spa was good, but for a spa it was rather cold in the pool and the air temperature. The gardens were lovely and well kept and the breakfast was delicious and huge! We got a good deal off the internet we thought, but found we could have had a better one (that included dinner) from the hotel's own website!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thesandersfamily2012
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Dear Sandersfamily,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

Thank you for your kind comments about your stay. We would be delighted if you came to stay for longer next time and do check our web site for all the best offers available. We have turned the temperature of the pool up slightly after a couple of comments about the pool temperature so it should be warmer now.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

Reviewed June 17, 2014

There for a two day conference with work and so all bills were paid for by them. That said I can still review the facilities.
Reception - always attentive and apologetic when you had to wait (never more than a couple of minutes).
Rooms - despite the claim of an upmarket establishment they were your basic hotel room. Complimentary bottled water and usual affects in the bathroom which were nice touches. Powerful shower in my room and towels were lovely and fluffy. Spacious and firm but comfortable bed with plenty of plump pillows.
Spa and pool looked beautiful but I didn't have enough free time to utilise (boo-hoo!)
Food was quite disappointing though. Breakfast was a buffet style cold selection of fruit, cerials and pastries but the order for traditional English was taken by the waiter's and delivered to you. Nicely cooked but tasted rather bland but at least the scrambled egg didn't run off the plate like some places!
We also had a lunch there and the food was pretentious and faffed about with so that you were not too sure exactly what it was. Individual cottage pie in a cup, a small fish piece with chips stuck up out of a cup - is it me?
Grounds are beautiful and location is very good for a short walk into the heart of the town and the gardens in front of the hotel are also very pretty.
So good sides - location, room comfort and manicured gardens.
Downside - Food and the fact that they charge £5 per day to park in their car park whether you are a guest or not (thank goodness for expenses!)

Room Tip: If you get room 120 (Garden Level) ask for a change as people use the fire exit as a short cut to th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Weekend_Roa

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a positive review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

I do hope your meeting was productive.

Thank you for your kind even handed feedback about your stay. The meeting lunch food is designed to be easy and simple dishes to eat as lots meeting organisers like to have a working buffet style or standing buffet lunch I am sorry you did not like that style of presentation.

I will pass on all of your feedback to all of the team

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We booked this hotel to celebrate my wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary and let me tell you fellas if you need to earn brownie points with your lady this is the place to take her!

Let me say from the off we did push the boat out here and booked the imperial penthouse suite. Not cheap but worth every penny!

The suite was big enough for a family to move into! Huge bedroom, lovely lounge area, dressing area and beautiful bathroom.

There were lovely views and as you would expect the suite was very quite, beautifully appointed and came with everything. We were treated like royalty a bottle of champagne and canapés in the room every afternoon, and our own butler!

The highlight for my wife was the scented bath she had prepared for her and all of the above was included in our room rate.

The hotel had a fabulous spa with every kind of sauna etc you could think of together with a good size indoor pool and an outdoor spa. The rest of the hotel was a joy lots of little areas to sit quietly or have coffee or even eat both inside and outside. There were also beautiful gardens to spend time in.

The hotel sat on the edge of the park a short walk from Bath town centre a very central location.

Ok here are my two little niggles! The restaurant was lovely we ate there every night and the food was excellent. The menu was a bit limited but I can live with that. The most annoying thing was on two nights on the trot we were shown to our table asked what we wanted to drink and then were forgotten! On both nights we had to pull someone over and remind them that we were there. In fairness they were very apologetic and after that service was excellent but that one small thing tainted the evening and I have to say I have a thing about good service, to me it should be number one!

My other silly little niggle and maybe this is unreasonable but you have to bear in mind we paid £500 a night! The price included a complimentary mini bar trouble was that comprised soft drinks a couple of beers and a couple of miniature wines. Like I said a very very small point but it seemed a bit mean.

We will definitely be going back this was an amazing experience and yes it was a lot of money and I certainly would not spend that normally but I still felt I got value for my money. Well done to all the staff and thank you for looking after us so well.

Room Tip: I really can't speak as to what other rooms were like ours was on the top floor in a separate bu...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nigel L

Dear Nigel L

Congratulations on your anniversary and birthday celebrations.

Thank you for your kind comments about your stay and The Imperial Suites. I am sorry that you had an issue with your drinks service. I will have a look at the complimentary mini bar offering in the Imperial Suites.

I will pass on all of your feedback to the team I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend came here for her birthday on the 12th for two nights. the hotel is amazing and the spa is beautiful, all the staff where very friendly but we both found the food was terrible the onion soup didn't taste of onion it tasted like a vegetable soup and the pork was okay the purée was grainy and the pork was under seasoned, then our main courses came, and i had the beef,my ravioli was split so It lost most of it's filling the beef was overcooked and wasn't enough of it ,I asked for rare and got medium rare, on the plate they gave a massive portion of mashed potato to make up for giving small portions of beef. my girlfriend had pork and this was dry and over cooked, with also a very large portion or mashed potato, the dessert was nice but the meal was already ruined for the dessert to save it. when I ordered a bottle of white wine It came warm so we had to wait 15 minutes in ice before we where able to drink it, then we went down for breakfast the sausages where burnt and the bacon was undercooked and we got about a table spoon of beans which isn't enough for anybody, so overall the stay was very nice the staff where very friendly but I would recommend to go eat in the town instead of the hotel because it's very over priced and the food is terrible. I felt a bit robbed paying for the food we got

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Freddie I

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy dinning with us. I would be happy to discuss your detailed comments with you if you could contact me.

Thank you for your kind comments about the rest of your stay I will share all of your feedback with the team.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to The Bath Spa Hotel

Reviewed June 14, 2014

The Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel is a very nice upscale hotel of the sort one might find in London, New York, Edinburgh, or any other large city. The room was exceptionally well appointed, and exuded the feel of luxury. The staff were very accommodating, and the dining room was lovely (although a bit over-priced). The cozy bar is also somewhat over-priced, but a comfy place to relax. We upgraded to the Macdonald to celebrate our last day walking the Cotswold Way, and found it comfortable and a good place to simply relax and enjoy the ambience. However, it might be better suited to a special occasion (anniversary, birthday, etc.).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Prairiewolf,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and able to relax after walking in the Cotswolds. I do hope you enjoyed your time in the UK.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to The Bath Spa Hotel when you are next in the UK

Reviewed June 13, 2014

My friend and I have just spent 2 nights at this hotel, what a wonderfully perfect stay. We used the spa facilities and had a 60 minute full body massage ....WOW it was amazing, truly relaxing. The staff are friendly, smartly dressed, well presented and very helpful. The twin room was clean, fresh and comfortable, views were lovely. The breakfast was very nice, plenty of choice, and very much enjoyed. My only recommendation would be to have water fountains down in spa area as its very hot, but that is my only complaint! I would recommend this hotel to my friends and I will go back. Thank you for a fantastic stay, I am very chilled... :)

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Sassyanne30,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay particularly the treatments in the spa. We do have iced water in the relaxation room I will look at making certain all our guest are offered some after a treatment.

Thank you for your kind comments. I will share all of your feedback with the team I know they will be encouraged by it.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to The Bath Spa Hotel very soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel a few times many years ago and it is a great as I remember it to be. The grounds are simply awesome and you get a great view of them on the drive up to reception. Upon arrival the concierge helped me with my bags and took them up to my room (in keeping with a hotel of this class). Check-in was swift and there was no waiting (check out was the same). I booked some spa treatments but there was a mix up with my spa treatment but this was resolved very quickly by the Spa Manager who re-arranged the two sessions that I booked. The weather was great so I spent the afternoon in the patio area by the pool occasionally going in to the sauna, ice room, mood shower etc.... Dinner in the restaurant was awesome. One of the best meals I have had and I have been at most of the top restaurants worldwide. The service was awesome being both attentive but not in your face (the latter is sometimes the case in the top restaurants where they over-compensate). We had a lovely cooked breakfast in our room in the morning then we enjoyed the spa facilities the before wondering into town, which was only 5 minutes away. A nice touch the night before was some champagne to celebrate our anniversary. We had a lovely weekend and will certainly return in the near future. We love Bath and love this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DMyers148

Dear D Myers 148

Many congratulations on your anniversary.

Thank you for your kind comments about so many aspects of your stay. I will share all of your feedback with the team I know they will be encouraged by it.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to The Bath Spa Hotel very soon.