“Sunny weekend in Bath”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Lovely hotel but they need to concentrate on the basics.
The hotel and room were beautiful but we were charged twice for room upgrades, I had to send breakfast on day one back as the scrambled egg was grey, cold and lumpy, and during a 'relaxing' spa treatment the shower wasn't working properly and water was stone cold! The issues were corrected once pointed out although we were only offered a reduction on the cost of the ruined treatment.
Service when it arrived was good but very slow to arrive!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear Lesley S

Thanks for submitting an even handed review of the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel following your stay.

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with breakfast. We have rectified the problem that you experienced in the Spa.

Thank you for your positive comments about elements of the service at the hotel.

I would welcome the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the hotel and ask that you contact me directly should you wish to discus the issue further or if you wish to book in the future so that I may take care of the arrangements for you personally.

Once again sincerest apologies

Reviewed April 30, 2014

stayed for a night as it was my birthday, we spent the afternoon shopping in Bath, followed by a few drinks before going back to the hotel. Had a nice swim and really enjoyed the outdoor thermal pool. The Spa was fairly quiet so we enjoyed our swim undisturbed even though it was the Easter holidays. Went out to eat as we had eaten at the hotel on some of our previous visits and wanted to try something different. Breakfast was an unmitigated disaster. Before going into the dining room I double checked that we had prepaid for a full breakfast, reception confirmed that we had indeed. On entering the Dining room we were challenged and told we were sonly entitled to the continental breakfast. When they eventually (after about 15-20 minutes) got around to taking our order for the cooked breakfast, they even then managed to deliver the wrong items on our plates and my poached eggs (ordered deliberately to have soft yolks) were overcooked. We ate the food but cannot honestly say we enjoyed it. We will think hard before booking here again. We checked outré leaving behind an electric toothbrush, it took numerous phone calls to get it returned to us and even then, it was now damaged.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear G EvansWales

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with breakfast. I will investigate how this miscommunication took place and to make certain we don’t fall short of our normal high standards.

Thank you for your positive comments about the Spa.

I would welcome the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the hotel and ask that you contact me directly should you wish to discus the issue with lost property and breakfast or if you wish to book in the future so that I may take care of the arrangements for you personally.

Once again sincerest apologies

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights. Everything about the stay was fantastic. The staff went out of their way to be pleasant and helpful. They were extremely attentive and friendly. The room was stunning and had every amenity. The spa facilities were excellent too. The whole hotel is beautiful and is only a short walk down the hill into Bath city centre. A wonderful stay. Faultless. We will be back.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear GazLondon

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for such a helpful review and your kind comments about the staff.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with all the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Upon arrival all staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed at the hotel for my Fiancée's birthday. Neither of us have never experienced such attention to detail.

We were shown around the hotel by Ra, who made us feel special !

This was followed by a full body massage in the SPA. I can not remember the last time I felt so relaxed. Sue did an amazing job.

Ra then brought champagne, canapés and birthday cup cake to our room. This really was the icing on the cake...

We had reserved a table for dinner. We were initially shown to the bar area and presented with menus. Although both food and drink were expensive, I feel you are also paying for the service and attention to detail.

Brian did a superb job in serving us. The food was very tasty and perfectly cooked.

The only downside was the £5 add on for parking. I would suggest that the management look at including this in the overall price.

Fantastic experience. We hope to return.

Dear Jtfstewart

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for such a helpful review and your kind comments about the hotel and individual members of the team that you single out for providing such good service. I will pass on your comments.

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

My mum and I spent a night bed, breakfast and dinner here. We arrived and greeted by the lovely staff who were so helpful. The grounds and hotel itself are beautiful.
We were shown to our room and it was very clean. I had a full body massage and followed with a couple of hours in the thermal suite and outdoor pool. The facilities are great however they could do with having a good clean down and someone to attend the area more often as there ended up being piles of dressing gowns everywhere!
We had cocktails followed by what I can only describe as one of the best meals I have ever had. The food and staff were fantastic. The waiter recommended the chocolate fondue and it was out of this world.
Goodnight sleep in comfy beds. Breakfast was a slightly more chaotic experience and we had to ask on numerous occasions for toast and I gave up asking for a pot of tea! Overall very good, suggest maybe having staff waiting on set tables in the morning?!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank ilovethesunTorquay

Dear ilovethesun

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such an even handed and positive review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

I was pleased to note that overall you enjoyed your stay. I am so glad you enjoyed the spa, it can get quite busy at times. I am sorry you did not get your tea at breakfast. Thank you for such a helpful review and your kind comments about the team at the hotel and dinner.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I booked a two night break at this hotel as a surprise for my wife. The hotel is in a good location for exploring Bath, and the rooms were clean and comfortable, with good service. A couple of small complaints, the first night at the hotel there was a problem with the satellite reception, which meant we couldn't watch TV (this problem affected the entire hotel), and one morning the cooked breakfast was cold by the time it arrived at our table, which is not what you'd expect from a 5* hotel. Having said that, we enjoyed our stay, and enjoyed the spa facilities at the hotel (which was one of the main reasons for booking the hotel in the first place). If we were to visit Bath again, I'd certainly consider going back to the Bath Spa Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sbickers1

Dear Sbickers 1

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such an even handed review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

I was pleased to note that overall you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry about the problem you experienced with the TV reception which we rectified the next day and also the issue you had with breakfast. Thank you for such a helpful review and your kind comments about your stay.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was bought by my partner as a surprise birthday treat for me.
The hotel is absolutely gorgeous with extremely friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were a great size complete with queen sized bed and balcony. There was a lovely birthday box of chocolates waiting in the room when we arrived-a lovely touch.
The spa was also great with a heated outdoor pool, complete with jacuzzi bubbles.
Food was delicious, although the evening meals were a little pricy with two courses for £38 or three courses for £48.

The only thing that let the hotel down was the £5 car park fee, which should be scrapped. We also struggled with the wifi and the air con, but other than that a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear Lauracot,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a positive review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit. We do appreciate such a helpful review and I am so glad that you enjoyed the birthday celebrations. I am sorry that you struggled with our free Wifi and the Air Conditioning.