“nice hotel - a little expensive”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Shillingford, United Kingdom
“nice hotel - a little expensive”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My wife and I decided to have a night away in Bath and chose this hotel because it has parking and is close to the City for my wife to shop! Why charge guests £5 to park in their huge car park? It smacks of being mean and annoyed me when you are already paying a lot to stay there. The room was very nice, clean and tastefully decorated. We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant and the food was excellent but it was a bit expensive and the drinks were a crazy price £12.30 for a G&T! Breakfast was good with excellent ingredients.
We had a swim in the pool and the spa seemed well equipped if you like that sort of thing.
Overall, pretty good and would do it again - but I'd eat and drink in the City!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonathan D, Managing Director at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit. We appreciate such a helpful review and I note your comments with regard to the bar prices.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Berkshire
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Had a great stay at the hotel, very welcoming on arrival, well equipped and comfortable surroundings,
Breakfast was well presented with a good choice.
Well equipped gym, did not use the pool but looked nice with indoor / outdoor pool and sun deck.
Short walk to town centre and ample parking.

Room Tip: We had a garden view which was very nice
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Andy G

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit. We appreciate such a helpful review.

Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I have just completed a 2-night discounted offer here and could not have been more impressed. The hotel is ideally situated, 15 minutes walk from the centre of this lovely city and has ample parking (but £5 per day). We were given a free upgrade into a beautiful garden-view room, which was spacious and comfortable in every way. The cuisine, if rather dear, was first class. But, especially, the hotel is most memorable for its superb staff: they were all most efficient, extremely helpful at all times and consistently cheerful. We look forward to returning. Just two minor suggestions: the elderly would greatly appreciate some transport into the centre, as parking there is a nightmare; the really good bathrooms would be made perfect with a better toilet-roll holder - ours had nothing to secure the roll and at the slightest touch it ran off over the floor like a demented Andrew advert!
Cato

Room Tip: Garden-view rooms cost a little more but the spaciousness and sunny outlook make it worthwhile
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear David G

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for your feedback about the bathrooms. We are looking at transport options to help guest that may have difficulty with the short walk in to the centre of Bath We appreciate such a helpful review.

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

At just 11PM they don't even have tea! The guy from room service told me you can make your own, there is a kettle in the room! The only things they got are cold salmon, egg and ham sandwiches. The building looks nice but the service is quite poor.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Fardad F

Thank you for submitting a review of the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel following your stay.

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with room service. I am very surprised as we have an extensive 24 hour menu and a wide variety of teas. A programme of remedial training is underway with the night team to ensure that any similar lapses will not be repeated.

I would welcome the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the hotel and ask that you contact me directly should you wish to book in the future so that I may take care of the arrangements for you personally.

Once again sincerest apologies

Ewell
Reviewed April 12, 2014

The staff are wonderful, in every department. The room was very good and the bathroom excellent. We enjoyed the table d'hôte meal each evening but would have liked more variation in the menu each night. When we asked, we were allowed to,mix and match from the a la carte menu, which made all the difference. Still, for those staying more than two nights, a more extensive table d'hôte would be preferable. The food was excellent and we had a really good package which included the set dinner. Breakfast was also very good.
The hotel is set in lovely gardens about a ten minute walk from the centre of Bath so very convenient. We thought £5 parking charge for valet parking was reasonable but do understand those who suggest it is unnecessary at the high room rates.

I would not want to pay the full tariff and regard it as overpriced. However, we had an extremely good package and found it excellent value for money at the price paid. We loved the staff and will return.

Room Tip: We were in the main building, which we prefer wherever we are. The room was really quiet, towards th...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank munx
Dear Munx

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit. We are looking at a wider variety of menu options. We do appreciate such a helpful review and thank you for such kind comments about our staff.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the most expensive room. It was great asked for flowers and they were provided. The garden is well presented. The spa was okay. The bars were very good. Bath has some picturesque streets so go have a romantic time.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Gazzaj200

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit. We do appreciate such a helpful review.

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a special birthday treat. The hotel and grounds are magnificent. The rooms are spacious with lovely big baths and lots of little helpful extras. The spa is fabulous and is just what you need after a long day of sightseeing and shopping. The concierge were very attentive and helpful although a little intimidating at times. All the staff were friendly and helpful although we got the impression that our decision to eat late didn't go down well with some of the waitresses. A little disappointed that the car park was extra and the excessive price for breakfast given the price of the rooms. Perhaps the twin beds could have been slightly further apart but that is being particular.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Chih14

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit. We do appreciate such a helpful review and I you are welcome in the restaurant at any time.