“Very pleasant stay - wonderfully accommodating staff”

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed in the Bath Spa when in Bath on business. The first thing I noted was the service I received. Before I entered the hotel lobby I was greeted with a friendly face and my suitcase was brought up the steps for me by the concierge. The receptionist was extremely polite and engaging and my suitcase was brought to my room for me. The room was large and plush, complete with Molten Brown toiletries (which any female will appreciate)!! The bathroom was modern and the the shower was spacious with instantly hot water. The room service waiter was again extremely accomodating. I couldn't fault the hotel and staff. A stunning hotel with a stunning grounds and wonderful staff!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,703)

Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Have heard so many good things about this hotel, as member of macdonald resorts expected 5 stars, entered the room and a plumber was trying to relate the bath tap and explain the water will still flow until tomorrow when they shod repair it, ok . Bathroom so dirty see pictures, room size average and a bit tired . Good location as you can walk to town. Breakfast again Average especially if you order soft boiled eggs and they are rock hard! Breakfast room is too big and you feel you are in an all inclusive Spanish or Turkish resort but service is very good! Had one dinner at the restaurant and food / service was fantastic, but as in the same room As for breakfast the romantic feel was not there, too roomy for that, for once I did not want to go and complain about leaking bath, which was sorted next day as promised and did not mention the issue with the shower head ( full of line scale and if trying to adjust it fell off in your hands, not mentioning the long wait for hot water ) etc the only response I had when mentioning it at checking out was oh sorry nothing more ! Did I also mention when trying to relax the obviously head of the cleaning team was checking a few rooms on our floor and as they are wooden heavy cupboards could only hear very loud banging for about 10 mn , not as relaxing as expected And call me OCD but grimy bathroom don't do it for me !

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just got home from a 4 night stay at the McDonald Bath Spa Hotel, totally brilliant from start to finish, it was my wife and i's 25th wedding anniversary and we loved every second. Great checking and out, sensational breakfast's, we had dinner in the restaurant once and it was magnificent ,the spa is as good as anywhere you care to mention and the staff could not do enough for us during our whole stay, in particular the Scottish head waiter who was truly superb, I am sorry I forget his name,but thanks for all you and your staffs efforts making it a trip to remember for us,we will return !!

1  Thank neil m
Reviewed June 11, 2013

A return visit for us,once again we thoroughly enjoyed our few days. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. We ate in the
Dining Room and Lounge rather than go into town, we were not disappointed once again the food was good,superb breakfast, and waiting staff very attentive. We enjoyed our swim in the indoor pool and used the steam room. The Hotel has a great ambiance and lovely grounds we particularly like the short walk into the City this makes its position so convenient.Parking charge was not a problem for us £5.00 a day for 24 hour safe parking is good value.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Didnt know where I was actually staying before turning up for a nights stay. It was an amazing surprise to be greeted by a stunning hotel. The spa was magical and the massage I rec'd was out of this world. The staff couldnt do enough for us, even when we had a comedy mistake with our drinks ordered. We popped out for food in the evening and came back to a turned down bed which surprised us. The room had a stunning view of the gardens out front. The only downsides were more staff were needed on the front desk and had a wait a good 10 mins before being served and also the full english breakfast was not luke warm, even though the plate was baking hot! Felt like it was kept in hot holding for a period of time before serving. Shame

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We visited Bath for an impromptu weekend at the start of June and stayed 1 night in the Penthouse Imperial Suite (Charles Dickens). Very hard to fault this place, excellent service from start to finish and excellent facilities (Spa is great). Didn't eat in the restaurant for dnner but breakfast was extensive and very good. Special mention goes to Joel the 'Head Cocktail Barman' (every bar needs a personality like Joel behind it) and Jeremy who was our personal butler for our stay (which you get as part of a stay in the Imperial Suites). Bottle of champagne on arrival and 2 boxes of chocolates were a great touch, as well as the free mini bar and canapés / champagne brought up to you in the evening. When we returned from dinner in Bath (which was booked by Jeremy) our room was fully turned down ready for bed, excellent service and another great touch (something you'd probably expect when staying in the best room in a 5* hotel but nonetheless worth a mention). Only possible negative I'd mention is that my fiancé and I both expected a much larger suite, especially for the Penthouse, and were a little disappointed with the small bathroom. Views weren't that great either and you could see all the trolleys with the bed linen where some staff went to talk on their mobiles / smoke which isn't something you'd expect to see when looking out of your suite window. Certainly not comparable to suites we've stayed in in top London 5* hotels but not sure my expectations were as high as that coming out of London anyway, so it's all relative I guess. HUGE bed though which was great. All in all a very good stay and highly recommended.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Wonderful hotel in beautiful city. The Spa was lovely and I had the most relaxing treatment by Mary. Conscierge staff excellent, Daniel was superb. The room was perfect and really couldn't have wished for a better stay. Well worth the visit and shall certainly return. Looked after so well. Came home very relaxed. The only negative is that there is a £5.00 car parking fee for all guests staying at the hotel. Not necessary and this made our check-out very slow, as we (who had travelled by train and taxi) had to wait quite some time to be able to check out, as other guests were complaining about this!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple