“Wonderful place to stay”
Review of Dukes Hotel

Dukes Hotel
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My partner Gary and I have just come back from a 2 night stay at dukes for my birthday. What a wonderful hotel it really is.
We were met by the hotel manager Mike on our arrival, who was very friendly and accommodating (which can be quite rare) . We had never been to bath before so did not know the area at all. He gave us a map and outlined all the good areas to visit, which was very helpful.
The owners Christopher and Carole were equally helpful, friendly and chatty which made us both feel very at ease. They told us that they had only been owners of dukes for 9 weeks, which surprised us a lot. You are doing a fantastic job.
The food was gorgeous. Gary and I had a full English breakfast which was made with quality ingredients. The black pudding was lovely. The service at breakfast was also very good.
The room was lovely too. The bed was just the right size as I like my space. I didn't use the pillows as I brought my own from home (I'm a bit strange) however the cases on them were lovely and soft. Good quality bedding and a wonderfully comfortable sleep.
We had a free parking permit which was extremely helpful ,so left the car in the same place for the whole 3 days. The hotel is very well situated and is only a 5 minute walk into the town centre.
I would thoroughly recommend dukes hotel for a wonderful stay in bath. Infact one of my friends has already contacted me for their details.
Thank you once again Christopher, Carole, Mike and all the staff at dukes for making my birthday get away fabulous.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Marlborough.
1  Thank Ali1980_03
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a generous review. We were very pleased that you chose to be at Dukes for the celebration of your birthday. I think all of us here feel that the property is a fantastic ‘backdrop’ for a celebration. The high ceilings, spectacular chandeliers and wonderful staircase all make for a little bit of theatre. Thank you for your compliments for our breakfast chef. He has selected some world beating suppliers for our smoked salmon, haddock and kippers, however the ‘black pudding’ sourced from the isles off Scotland is a favourite; delighted that Gary enjoyed the gourmet treat. In particular thank you for the word of mouth recommendation and we trust that your friends enjoy their visit as much as you both did!!!Once again thank you for taking the time to write and we look forward to welcoming you back to Bath.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,337)

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We had stayed at this hotel before and whilst it was perfectly reasonable it was not anything special. It is now under new management and the transformation has been significant and exceedingly positive. The new owners have spent time and money improving what should be an icomic building in the Grade 1 area of Bath and it is now very clean and vibrant. It was a little 'tired' before. Our welcome was excellent, nothing was too much trouble and our upgraded accommodation was lovely and made one feel one was really in a Regency gem. We made another reservation at the end of our stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Iain M
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for your considered review. I think that we are simply very fortunate to be involved with two such magnificent houses. We are very pleased that you have noticed a few changes!! Our intention is to continue to gradually enhance and refresh, however we would never try to hide or shy away from Dukes residing within an ‘antique’ building. Pleased to hear that you received a warm and helpful welcome – I assure you that you will be met with no less upon your return!! Thank you for taking the time to write.

Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I booked Dukes for our anniversary weekend in February and I can not recommend this hotel enough. What a fantastic weekend my wife and I had. Mike the owner was very friendly and helpful. He pointed out all the best things and places to see while staying in Bath. At breakfast on the morning of our anniversary we were greeted with a card, a book about bath and a box of chocolates from himself and the hotel which was a lovely gesture.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. The night porter Roman in particular went above and beyond what was nessercary to accommodate us both in the evening. He was very friendly and chatty which we both thought was very refreshing.

The room we stayed in was the Bedford suite on the top floor and was very cozy and peaceful. The only only problem I found was the pillows were a little to hard for my liking. The room was spotless and warm.

Overall we both really enjoyed our time at Dukes and would happily book there again if we ever return to bath for a break. Mike and his team are doing a great job and you could not ask for anymore more from a team or hotel. The hotel was a short 5 minute walk into the centre of bath so there was no need to worry about parking all weekend.

I highly recommend booking Dukes to anyone who is visiting Bath for a break

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for writing. We are delighted that you have so obviously had a smashing and memorable weekend celebrating your anniversary. The Bedford and ‘sister’ room the Richmond are both on the third floor. These rooms necessitate climbing up several flights of stairs; however one is rewarded with experiencing a tremendous ‘unsupported’ balustrade stairwell punctuated with magnificent brass lantern chandeliers. Once up on the third floor the Bedford and Richmond rooms offer a cosy, compact, private and ‘tucked away’ perspective on living in a Georgian house. I am sorry that you found our new pillows a little hard – hopefully your sleep was not too disturbed. Should you visit us again please let us know of your preference as our housekeepers manage a limited variety in an effort to meet ‘requests’. Many thanks for the kind words concerning Mike and Roman who both share a great interest and familiarity with both Dukes and Bath.
We look forward to welcoming you back – for your next celebration!!! Thank you

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Booked a night at the Dukes following recommendations on TripAdvisor and I wasn't disappointed!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a well priced and perfectly positioned hotel. The facilities, food and service was all excellent; for me the differentiator was the service though.

Right from the initial booking I got a good feeling about this hotel. The reception manager Mike was a true gent, could not do enough for me. When we arrived (which was early, at around 10.30) the room wasn't ready (check in is at 2pm, so this was to be expected) but Mike could not have been more helpful. he gave us a parking permit and offered to look after our bags whilst we walked into town before checking in. We had a great day in Bath that was made so much more enjoyable by our stay at Dukes. Once checked in, we got to the room which was immaculate.

A large suite that was spotlessly clean and a bed that was one of the comfiest I've used. This is a Grade 1 listed building, so don't expect double glazing or anything like that...the street is quiet anyway so no problems there.

Breakfast was perfectly cooked, and on checkout the lady at reception was very friendly.

Highly recommended, would definitely want to stay there again on my next visit!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Wellington....not my choice of wallpaper but a lovely room!
1  Thank Blockrockinbeats
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that Dukes, the Dukes team and in particular Mike, our Reception Manager have delivered on so many fronts!!
We are extremely fortunate to be located in a marvellous Georgian property, standing so proudly on Great Pulteney Street. The rest as they say is in the detail. Mike has an intimate knowledge of Dukes, a great familiarity with the wonders of Bath and an instinctive ability to welcome all guests and ensure their needs are best looked after.

Thank you for highlighting our Grade 1 listing status; we believe that we offer a rare opportunity to ‘live’ in two spacious Georgian houses – if only for a couple of nights!! The vast sash windows do ‘rattle in the wind’, the boiler and radiators’ to ‘clunk and chumble’ on occasions and the modern wonders of ‘Wi-Fi’ are confounded by our two foot thick Bath stone walls. That said as a team we offer a very committed, dedicated and personalised welcome and passionately care about the well being and experiences of our guests.

On behalf of all the team here at Dukes, thank you for your thoughtful and generous compliments – we look forward to welcoming you back!!……….

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My young daughter and I have just returned from a short stay in Bath. We are regular visitors to Dukes as we love the elegance of the hotel and proximity to town with no worries about parking charges. We could choose any hotel in Bath but always return to Dukes mainly due to the warm welcome and hospitality of the Reception Manager Mike. The new owners are extremely lucky to have retained the services of this charming gentleman - it is rare in this modern, impersonal world to be made to feel like a valued customer and rarer still to win the praise of a six year old!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pauline R
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a true and perceptive Trip Advisor review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Dukes. Both you and your daughter are correct – Mike is a unique Reception Manger who is immeasurably committed to ensuring guests are looked after in every which way possible. Rest assured that as new owners we feel very fortunate to have inherited a superb housekeeping, kitchen and reception team; we are only too aware that they share tremendous enthusiasm and passion for their craft. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dukes in the very near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Had a great Valentines break here. Great room - I recommend the Wellington suite - very clean and nicely looked after, a good sized junior suite at a very nice price! Super reception team - couldn't be more helpful. Very good all round and will be back. Thank you.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter B
ChristopherCameron, Owner at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The Wellington is a wonderful room with terrific aspect – delighted that you both enjoyed it to the full. Our rooms are prepared by wonderful people, too modest by far, who take tremendous care and enormous pride in making each of them look their very best – we join you in thanking them!! Thank you for a very positive review and we look forward to welcoming you both back to Dukes.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have literally just got back from another amazing stay at the Dukes - the new owners Christopher & Carole made us feel SO welcome, it really is like home from home for us - Mike in reception is great and always pleased to see us!

The hotel is perfectly placed, just right for a nice stroll into the city and situated on the beautiful Great Pulteney Street.

We stayed in the Athol which once again was clean, comfortable and cosy - perfect to come back to after a tiring day in Bath - which is incidentally a beautiful, beautiful city.

Breakfast is just SUPERB, consistently brilliant, and another great reason to stay here.

We are so much in love with the Dukes Hotel, and my wife Carol and I wish Christopher & Carole all the very best with it, and can rest assured that we will be very regular guests!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Well thank you too ‘C&J’!! We are delighted that we have managed to meet your high expectations!! It was wonderful having you both here with us and to share in the laughter. Thank you for the plaudits concerning breakfast, our chef takes enormous care to ensure our fresh ingredients are classically transformed into a tremendous breakfast. We all look forward to you visiting in the not too distant future. Thank you for writing.