“Excellent birthday present”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Devon
“Excellent birthday present”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Our children had booked and paid for us to have a couple of nights for my 65th birthday. Despite arriving early, our car was whisked away for valet parking, and we barely had time for a complimentary coffee before we were taken up to our room. Very nice room, comfortable bed and sofa, tasteful bathroom and lobby with wardrobe. Extremely well situated an easy walk to all the main attractions. Breakfast was a wide choice nicely cooked and presented. Staff very helpful and polite. Would definitely recommend, and would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I booked this hotel for two nights for a family celebration. It ticked all the boxes with a central location, walking distance to shops, bars, restaurants and other tourist attractions plus the bonus of valet parking. I had booked three rooms, a superior and two standard, and there was not much difference between them apart from room size and aspect. All were very comfortable and most importantly quiet. All the rooms were well maintained and equipped but like other reviewers I did miss not having tea/coffee making facilities in the room.
We dined in The Olive Tree Restaurant and the food and service were excellent. The waitress who served us was was most attentive and ensured the meal went smoothly. I would highly recommend it.
Do be aware that the bar area in the hotel is small and does get crowded at weekends. There is a relaxing lounge area next door where teas and coffees are available during the day.
My experience with housekeeping was excellent on the first night but it appeared we were forgotten for turn down service on the second. The fact that we were given a half bottle of champagne was a nice touch but not when it is left in your room after you have gone out for the evening to be found upon your return at midnight. Communication by the reception staff when booking was frustrating at times as they did not always check their personal emails before contacting you plus sadly a request was ignored late in the evening.
I would recommend this hotel to friends visiting Bath but only as a place to stay as a couple not as a group. My opinion is based on the fact that the level of service we experienced was very different on the two days we were there. Sadly for me it was on the celebration day that we were let down. Nothing major that would stop us revisiting but enough to take the gloss off the day. The management did seek us out to apologise to on the morning we were leaving for their shortcomings and we did receive appropriate credit on our bill but unfortunately you cannot turn the clock back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Knutsford
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The front of house staff are extremely polite and helpful and the hotel is well situated. The negative aspect of this review is driven by the poor price/quality relationship of the product offered. I was expecting far more for a room charge of £220, and a bill totalling £255 without breakfast for an overnight stay (additional £25 for a child's bed, £10 for parking). I had accepted the charge when booking with Expedia from the hotel description in good faith.
The Queensberry is an old hotel in three adjoining Georgian terraced houses with rooms on many levels up and down a series of stairwells. Our room was reasonable size with a large bathroom , but was serviced by a lift to the third floor that required an additional set of narrow stairs down then up to reach. The room itself was OK, but in the eaves and in my opinion fell short of it's superior designation or price tag. Nor was it spotlessly clean on arrival. That being said, there is nothing actually wrong with the product. My dissatisfaction is based on my belief that we were overcharged for what we got. . I have stayed in rooms around the world at similar room rates, and my barometer on this occasion swung firmly low. Nevertheless a market is a market, and if they can continue to do business at these rates, in my opinion overcharging for what they are providing, then good luck to them, but I for one will not be recommending them or returning as a customer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank G T
Devizes
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We love this Hotel, it is less than an hour from our home but we have been back every December for the last four years! Don't stay without visiting the restaurant, the food is sublime and the service is first class. The staff throughout the hotel are always friendly and courteous, the hotel and rooms are warm, very clean and comfortable. Just one tip - if you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the back of the hotel, these are lovely and quiet. Fabulous location for Christmas shopping and a real treat that I look forward to every year!
Absolutely nothing negative to report.

Room Tip: Rooms 11 & 21 are very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We popped back to the Queenberry, and were welcomed with a complimentary bottle of champagne into a very nice, spacious room, with spacious bathroom off the vestibule area.

The staff were very pleasant, and helpful. Great breakfast. All in all an excellent experience.

Room Tip: Our room was 26 - very quiet overlooking the street, very spacious.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I've now stayed here twice and I really can't recommend it enough. Both rooms I've stayed in have been so lovely, big and comfortable with everything you'd want. The staff are really friendly and helpful and make you feel really welcome. The hotel is full of nice little touches like complimentary teas and coffees in the lovely front lounge and delicious nuts and olives with your drinks. This time I stayed I even had complimentary chocolates and a hand-written note welcoming me back! The breakfast was also delicious with a great choice. I come up to Bath quite a bit with work and there's no way I'd even consider staying anywhere else now. I'm so impressed and will be recommending to anyone I know heading to Bath.

• Stayed January 2014
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed here for our recent visit to Bath. Everything was great. The bed was comfortable, nice sized room, and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. As soon as we came in they offered to help get all the luggage out of the car, and parked the car for us. The location is perfect, we were able to walk right into town and see everything we wanted to see. And when we checked out, we were able to leave our luggage while we walked into town again for lunch, before getting the car and leaving. That was very helpful. I would stay here again, and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family