“Great location”

Queensberry Hotel
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Comfortable boutique hotel with well appointed rooms, fluffy towels, great showers, helpful staff.
Great central location with lots of eateries within walking distance. Enjoyeed a fabulous casual tappas meal at Same, Same But Different, which is around the corner.
Would definitely stay and recommend.

There are newer reviews for Queensberry Hotel

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Hotel booked, child with grandparents, bags packed, car full of fuel ... we are excited to return to Bath and spend the time chilling out and kicking back like the old times.

Arrive at The Queensberry and stand in the hallway (AKA reception) arguing with the staff about my surname. After they agreed that I knew what my surname was and found the booking (how very generous of them) we were shown to a room.

The room was freshly painted, lovely. Just, it stank of oil paint. Urgh.

We popped downstairs and asked for another room and ended up in a massive room with a huge luxurious bathroom. Lovely - very lucky and very pleased with the result. Not too sure why they put any guest into a room that stank but the result was great and the lady that wanted me to have another surname came through in the end. Well managed.

So, we were chuffed and all in all it was a big room with great amenities.

Yes, as you will see from the hotels responses to any criticism, it is intended to be a little alternative and this is all well and good, but a few things did let it down.

Breakfast buffet is awful in terms of selection. Cooked breakfast had good produce but very small portions in a sterile environment.

It appeared that all the staff were new and learning. Not sure if this was a ‘change over’ weekend but it made for a disjointed experience.

Good location though.

If this review seems a little light on facts about the hotel it is because, thinking about it, I have very little to recommend. The hotel is clean but just very average. That's not really a great sign is it. It's just a very average experience with some ups and downs.

Is that what you want from your one weekend away every now and again? If so ... book The Queensberry, it ticks the average box. If you want something very special ... go elsewhere.

Finally .. if you are Joe Average and book ... ask for a room away from the stairs and main corridor. Some of the rooms are directly off this and can’t be too quiet.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren M, General Manager at Queensberry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the smell of paint in the first room that you were shown to, the decorating work was completed earlier in the week but clearly the paint odour was still apparent. I am delighted to hear that my team managed this situation to your satisfaction.

Like you say, it is our intention to be a little alternative (or quirky and personal as we prefer to refer to our style of hospitality). We are proud to offer an antidote to the many bland and faceless corporate chain hotels on offer. We understand that by our very nature we are not to everyone’s taste and that some guests prefer to stay in a modern hotel with Wifi in every room, movies on demand and an express check-in service and there are plenty of hotels in the area with these facilities.

Finally I am pleased to say that in my ten years at The Queensberry Hotel there is no such thing as “Joe Average” each and every one of our guests is an individual with their own needs and expectations and it is our pleasure to serve them as such.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here for our honeymoon in May 2011 - AMAZING!

Attention to detail was perfect, lovely bottle of champagne chilled and waiting for us on arrival, helpful, friendly and attentive staff, room was gorgeous and full of features and character.

Very central to everything we wanted to do, loved it!

A must for us to return here when the children are a little older.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha F

Congratulations on your marriage!

We are always delighted when guests choose to celebrate a special occasion at The Queensberry Hotel and do everything we can to ensure that their stay is memorable.

I am really pleased that you took advantage of some of our complimentary services and hope that your husband enjoyed his visit to Thermae.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you can find a reason to visit before your 1st Wedding Anniversary!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have just returned from Bath which we like to visit as often as we can. This was our first stay at the Queensberry Hotel and it certainly won't be our last. The valet parking service is excellent, in a city where hardly any hotels offer any parking at all. On the day of departure they were more than happy for us to leave the car with them until we left at around 5pm and then bring our car back and put the luggage in for us. We were delighted to find we had been upgraded to a lovely suite overlooking the gorgeous Georgian houses in Russell Street. The room was beautiful - sofa, chair, very comfy bed and an ipod/radio playing relaxing classical music as we walked in. The bathroom was very large and luxurious and White Company toiletries were available. The stitting room downstairs was really comfortable - with a lovely fireplace. Free tea(a variety of Teapig teabags) and coffee is available in there most of the day. When my husband wanted to visit the Thermae Baths, a spa pack was available to him (gown, slippers etc) which would have cost £9 at the baths themselves. Therefore, whilst the hotel is on the expensive side, these extra services make it more reasonable. They even offer a free shoe shine overnight should you desire!
The position of the hotel is excellent in the most desirable location near the Circus, with all the wonderful architecture everywhere and close to all the sights and shops. All in all we would heartily recommend it and look forward to our next stay.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

This centrally located hotel exceeded my expectations.Right from the time I stepped into the front door,I was treated with respect,politeness and was even given a room upgrade which was a welcome surprise.
I was shown to the lovely drawing room where you can relax & help yourself to unlimited tea or coffee (and a real fire)the fabulous looking bar and The Olive Tree restaurant.
I had my bags taken without my asking & was shown to my room.Lovely high ceilings,a mix of old & modern/chic furnishings,good lighting & a great white bathroom.
My,that was a comfortable bed,I can tell you.One of the best nights sleep I've ever had whilst away from home.
I ordered breakfast to be delivered to my room the next morning ,it arrived on time & very nicely presented.The homemade muesli was delicious.
I was checked out efficiently and even had the door opened for me when I left.I'm delighted to tell you this place has got it right.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for your kind review.

There is no greater compliment than to learn that we have exceeded our guest’s expectations. All of the team work extremely hard to make this happen and gain great satisfaction from reading such a positive review.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed at the Queensberry Hotel in September with our three children, 12 years after living for a year in a daggy flat up the road. We often walked past the hotel and decided that if we ever returned to Bath we would stay there and it certainly didn't disappoint.
We all loved the "quirky" layout - it was part of the charm of the place. The beds were among the most comfortable we have ever slept in and the bathrooms were so spacious.
The location of this hotel is excellent - just a short, picturesque stroll down into the centre of town (and a nice bit of exercise on the way back up!)
I would certainly agree with other reviewers that it would be an improvement to have tea and coffee available in the drawing room for a longer part of the day.
The only disappointment was hearing the poor staff members being given a loud telling off by the management after they briefly evacuated the hotel following a false fire alarm. The staff had handled the situation in a friendly, professional and apologetic manner and there weren't any grumbles among the guests standing around outside the hotel. We really felt for them and were grateful that they considered the safety of the guests so highly.
We would all highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Bath.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jag4304
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We just stayed at the Queensberry Hotel for the third time, and had another perfect weekend: the place is gorgeously converted, with an excellent restaurant, fun cocktail bar, comfy beds and free coffee and tea in the lounge all day, but the real highlight is the staff: everyone is incredibly helpful and friendly. We got a lesson in boutique gin distilleries, an inspired local restaurant tip, and constant concierge-style help with bookings, taxis, etc - all given with a wonderful warm professionalism.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends