“New manager from mid-October 2012 so here's hoping!”
Review of George Inn

George Inn
Ranked #362 of 574 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: British and International Classics With A Contemporary Twist. Seasonal Specials Changed Monthly
“New manager from mid-October 2012 so here's hoping!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is not a full review because, frankly, I could only echo the many critical comments already posted. The George is, however, my 'local' and I use it regularly for a quiet pint while waiting for my wife to finish work. On my last visit, on 16 Oct, I was served promptly by a chap I'd not seen before and he told me he had taken over as manager the previous Friday. So I think we need to see if things improve. My 'middle of the road' ratings reflect cautious optimism!

Swindon, United Kingdom
“PLEASE AVOID AND SAVE YOUR MONEY”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have never written a review before, but I am so angry after eating there tonight I have to let people know. We have been to this pub in the past and was really nice. However not been there for a while and was in the area so went there expecting a good experience. what happened is that the service was shocking, food was served incomplete (and had to ask for the remaining items on the menu not served), the food portions were tiny (and I am not a big eater!) and the worse thing of all was the childrens meal. The childrens meal had clearly come straight out of a very cheap can (meat balls and pasta), would expect it cost around 10p and they charged £4.25!!! Thats a hugh profit for 2 minutes in the microwave! Absolutely disgusted and will never ever return to this shambolic pub. Oh and by the way cleanliness was also very poor, especially the toilets!

2 Thank Simon594837
Bath, United Kingdom
“Not much has changed, apparently.”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Similar experience to previous review. Queue to order food (and drinks), We were served red Frontera rather than white and a pint rather than half as requested, the third drink was correct. Asked for starter to be served with main course; it wasn't and main courses arrived 75 minutes after ordering, an hour after the one starter we ordered. I cancelled the puddings and received refund. When ordering I was not alerted to any delay although I suspected there would be. The blackboard which is supposed to stated the lead time for food was blank. Also it appears that smoking is permitted in the eating area by the rear door, which I find unacceptable. The one positive note: the quality of the food was good, better than on a previous visit. However, won't be re-visiting anytime soon despite living just a mile away. Bathampton Mill just down the road toward Toll Bridge is better.

1 Thank Mark L
London, United Kingdom
“Lunch at The George”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

After reading some appalling reviews decided to still give this pub another chance. Booked on-line a few days in advance. Friendly waitress and the service was good. Food was fine but wouldn't book there for another more than pub grub. Needs a good clean and attention to detail. Cutlery pot was lacking serviettes, walls in toilets splashed with something and needs a good clean, plenty of hand soap in loos but I don't think the bottles of carexx adds any chique to the place. A vase of flowers wouldn't go a miss. No where near as good as it used t be many years ago...shame would like to see it have a kick up the backside and go one step further for it's patrons.

Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Excellent pub food by the canal”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

A busy pub on a Monday night and you wonder what your evening will be like. Once we had got the drinks at a crowded bar, it got better. Risotto can prove to be rice and little else. Ours had plenty of sea bass fillets beautifully cooked.
The staff appear to enjoy their job and our evening was enhanced by the helpful and friendly attitude of Jacqui that served us at the table. Yes, it is a pub that serves food rather than primarily a restaurant but the prices fairly reflect that fact.

• Visited September 2012