“Book first!”
Review of The Bear Restaurant - CLOSED

The Bear Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Now under management as of 2014 and newly revamped as a stylish hotel, bar & restaurant, The Bear has a new lease of life as a spacious, relaxed and welcoming venue for locals and visitors alike. Enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner 7 days a week in our restaurant with a monthly-changing menu of freshly prepared modern British dishes, spend the night in the lap of luxury in one of our newly renovated boutique hotel rooms or simply pop in for a drink with friends in our bar lounging area. The Bear can cater for large parties and events with buffet and set menus and special bar arrangements to help make your occasion extra special. We are pleased to allow dogs in our side bar and happy to welcome families with children of all ages.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had visited once before, and despite reservations about the stark decor we really enjoyed the food, the chips were superb.
However trying to visit for a Sunday lunch earlier this month we were told they couldn't accommodate us because we hadn't booked, even though the restaurant was practically empty - rather disappointing.
We'll try again soon!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

The outside of this pub needs a little TLC which on the face of it puts you off. That said we went in to see what it offered and the inside is very different to the outside.

It has been decorated nicely, the menu is a a little limited but that's not an issue for us. I had the lamb rump with couscous which when it first came out was too red for me. I asked for it to be cooked more and this was not an issue and came back a few minutes later perfectly cooked. I can just imagine the chef saying "Cooked more? does this bloke know that lamb is supposed to be cooked rare?" Yes I do but I am one of those unusual people that likes my lamb cooked through.

The house red was just right, nice tasting and just the right temperature. My only disappointment is that the prices are a little higher than restaurants in the city but for us this is not an issue. For example, a rib eye steak is @ £17 and at the other eatery I have reviewed it was @£16 ( I stand to be corrected though)

All in all a nice place to eat, with lovely staff and reasonable surroundings.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Bear has, for many years, given the impression of being underfunded and unloved. The utilitarian furniture is described as retro, which it isn't, it's shabby junk. The lack of carpet throughout gives the impression that you're in a washroom that just happens to double as a pub.

The front of house service is fine, but one gets the impression that the staff are rather embarrassed about the food they're serving, particularly as there has recently been a change of chef. Despite the fairly typical pub grub menu looking quite promising, sadly it isn't followed by a standard of cooking or presentation that one should be able to take for granted these days. As far as price is concerned, The Bear is slightly cheaper than other local out of town pub/restaurants and looks dear by comparison with its peers.

I eat in Bath, and the surrounding area, on a regular basis and enjoy my food. I'll always give credit where credit is due. The Bear just doesn't come close to what I've been accustomed to expect in this price range. Don't take my word for it, try for yourself, but don't say I didn't warn you!

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Ate here after a day walking around Bath all day, so we were famished. The staff was amazing and offered great conversation, the food was delicious along with the pints, and overall it was excellent value. Would definitely recommend to anyone especially if you're staying in a Bed and Breakfast nearby. Very convenient.

1  Thank ThndrSki
Reviewed April 11, 2013

So after a period away we can welcome David the French chef back in the fold, already you can see and taste the difference, based on past experience this chef really is the business, the food is lovingly prepared, even the waiters can enthuse about the menu, so give the Bear another chance, I have and I wasn't disappointed, it really is great to have a chef of this calibre on our doorstep, we can ensure that this becomes a permanent feature by giving our support, great food great welcoming....

1  Thank Seayeaitch