“Very good meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Salamander

The Salamander
Ranked #61 of 563 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: The Salamander is great city-centre pub, 'The Sally' serves good food and a fine choice of beers from Bath Ales and beyond, and welcomes a friendly, eclectic audience. It's small, it's snug but it's oh so special! The Salamander is tucked neatly away just off Queen Square in the heart of the Georgian city of Bath. Historically a 'steak and chop house', it now consists of a wonderfully simple bar on the ground floor and an impressive dining room complete with galley kitchen upstairs.Using the finest produce from local suppliers, 'The Sally' is renowned for its imaginative and varied menu, available both downstairs in the bar and upstairs.
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“Very good meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I found this restaurant on the internet. I called to make a reservation, left a message, they promptly called back and took my booking. Details of dietary needs taken. When we arrived the staff were very polite, friendly and professional. They talked me through the menu and how they could alter the dishes for me. We were a party of 5, 2 adults and 3 children (12 14 & 20). The food was lovely, Lamb Wellington, Guinea Fowl, Baked Cod (a bit on the salty side unfortunately!) Fish and Chips, and a huge burger and chips. All delicous, good size portions and well presented. The Bath Ale was much appreciated by my husband. The staff were attentive and discrete throughout the meal. Bill for 5 plus drink and tip £80.

Visited July 2014
Deana18, General Manager at The Salamander, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hi Sam

I am very happy to see that your family enjoyed the evening here at the Salamander. I am very grateful for your review and glad to see that you tried our specialty dishes. Sorry for the cod being a bit salty :(

I hope to see you all again soon. Thank you for the review.

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Great real ale pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is a really good, cosy little pub in the middle of Bath. The Bath Ales on draught provide a good range of ales to sample, and the pub is welcoming and friendly with free wifi. Well worth a visit if you like real ale.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Real ales is what we are all about. I am pleased that you enjoyed the samples and I hope you continue to support Bath Ales :)

Thank you very much for your review.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“little gem pub with local ales”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

We found this superb pub by random walking. I just made the criteria that we should go to one for a pint that serves the local bath ales, and if it looked good maybe we should have dinner there, too. 2 meters from there was The Salamander.
The bartender was very knowledgeable about their beer, we tasted 5 varieties and sat down for dinner in the room upstairs.
We choose to go with some classics, cheeseburger and fish&chips. Both were rather good (except the bun which could be nicer), the service is great.
I can only recommend this place, and we're happy to go back if we visit Bath again.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Birgit S
I am happy that you made an evening out of your visit to the Salamander. Pleased to share my knowledge of our ales as I love to see people happy tasting new ales and finding one that they like. Classic food choices and I will see what I can do about the 'buns'.

You are welcome back anytime
Melrose, Massachusetts
“Great food and ales”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

We were vacationing in Bath, and we brought a large family group, and sampled much of the food and ales. All were great, the seating was comfortable, and the service was great. I don't know when we'll get back to Bath, but I highly recommend the restaurant to visitors and would definitely go again!

• Visited June 2014
Hello

I'm please that your family enjoyed the food and ales. We are very proud of our brewery and happy to share that with others. I hope your trip here was great?

All the best
Vancouver Island, Canada
“I hope I get this right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

The Salamander had just opened a new upstairs room to provide better food service. It was bright and airy and they were offering a pretty varied menu to attract custom to the new part of the venture. We were sort of on our own but getting first class service. I went with the mussels which were excellent. She opted for the saddle of rabbit starter and declared it one of the best lunches of the trip. The ambiance was attractive, the service spot on and the experience enjoyable. The only question was whether we were missing the essence of the downstairs pub, a touch of old Bath, a shoulder rub with the regulars. We wish them well with their new extended vision.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello fellow Canadians

I am very please to see your review, as it brought a smile to my face remembering our conversations. Please to help with giving you a piece of British style to take home with you. :)

We are here for you next visit.