“little gem pub with local ales”
Review of The Salamander

The Salamander
Reserve with OpenTable
The Salamander is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 603 Restaurants in Bath
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Salamander is great city-centre pub. 'The Sally' serves good food and a fine choice of beers from Bath Ales and beyond, and welcomes a friendly, eclectic audience. It's small, it's snug but it's oh so special! The Salamander is tucked neatly away just off Queen Square in the heart of the Georgian city of Bath. Historically a 'steak and chop house', it now consists of a well-stocked bar on the ground floor and an impressive dining room complete with galley kitchen upstairs. Using the finest produce from local suppliers, 'The Sally' is renowned for its imaginative and varied menu, available both downstairs in the bar and upstairs.
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We found this superb pub by random walking. I just made the criteria that we should go to one for a pint that serves the local bath ales, and if it looked good maybe we should have dinner there, too. 2 meters from there was The Salamander.
The bartender was very knowledgeable about their beer, we tasted 5 varieties and sat down for dinner in the room upstairs.
We choose to go with some classics, cheeseburger and fish&chips. Both were rather good (except the bun which could be nicer), the service is great.
I can only recommend this place, and we're happy to go back if we visit Bath again.

1  Thank Birgit S
Deana18, General Manager at The Salamander, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

I am happy that you made an evening out of your visit to the Salamander. Pleased to share my knowledge of our ales as I love to see people happy tasting new ales and finding one that they like. Classic food choices and I will see what I can do about the 'buns'.

You are welcome back anytime

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We were vacationing in Bath, and we brought a large family group, and sampled much of the food and ales. All were great, the seating was comfortable, and the service was great. I don't know when we'll get back to Bath, but I highly recommend the restaurant to visitors and would definitely go again!

Hello

I'm please that your family enjoyed the food and ales. We are very proud of our brewery and happy to share that with others. I hope your trip here was great?

All the best

Reviewed July 1, 2014

The Salamander had just opened a new upstairs room to provide better food service. It was bright and airy and they were offering a pretty varied menu to attract custom to the new part of the venture. We were sort of on our own but getting first class service. I went with the mussels which were excellent. She opted for the saddle of rabbit starter and declared it one of the best lunches of the trip. The ambiance was attractive, the service spot on and the experience enjoyable. The only question was whether we were missing the essence of the downstairs pub, a touch of old Bath, a shoulder rub with the regulars. We wish them well with their new extended vision.

Hello fellow Canadians

I am very please to see your review, as it brought a smile to my face remembering our conversations. Please to help with giving you a piece of British style to take home with you. :)

We are here for you next visit.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We came across this charming pub, it was very welcoming and the wine was lovely. Would love to go back.

We will be here for your next visit to Bath. Thank you for your time in writing this review.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I just needed to write to say what an amazing pub the Salamander is. We just celebrated our companies 10th Birthday Party and we asked if we could have a sit down lunch and then optional beer tasting. Well, the staff were brilliant, ready for us and the food was amazing. The beer tasting was excellent and a lovely relaxed atmosphere.
A great location in Bath for informal or formal....Highly recommended by me.

1  Thank Matthew L

Hi Mathew, thank you for your review and please don't wait for another 10 years to come back :)