“Rivers street Rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #100 of 192 Bath B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Rivers street Rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

Lovely house and a cosey room. Really nice private bathroom. Wonderful hospitality- Sean and Sharon were really helpful and great hosts. Thanks for the breakfasts- Sharon's baking set us up for a day of sight seeing and shopping. A great alternative to heavy fry- ups. I would definately reccomend this B and B.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dani B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

When we arrived at Rivers Street Rooms, there was a lot of
construction going on in the street, creating a loud, obtrusive
eyesore outside the residence. Not the best start/not the owners’
fault.

The owners are a lovely and accommodating married couple. The missus
walked me up many flights to choose between two available rooms
located in the attic. I despise sleeping in attics. The smaller room
with the lousy view has double beds stuck together to create a king,
making me anxious about falling through the middle. It gives access to
a roomy bathroom with a shower. The larger room with the wonderful
view has a similar bed and comes with a smaller bathroom sans shower.
Both bathrooms are outside the sleeping areas, a semi-common feature I
have always had a problem with. In short, I chose the lesser room
because showers are important to me.

The bed(s) in said room is pushed against the attic wall so I had to
climb over my girlfriend if I wanted out. MINUS! I conjured up a
renovation that would defeat this obstacle, which would require a full
sized bed instead. I could go on about it…

There was an unacceptable, musty smell on this floor, particularly
strong in our bathroom, which we sought to combat by burning candles.
Opening the window provided subtle relief but we feared the company of
flies and other insects as there was no outside screen to ward them
off. Ugh…minus.

Otherwise this room is fine. There is a set up for instant coffee, tea
with electric kettle, assorted digestives, lotions and so forth. All
very sweet. And the wall adornments are better than average. Not your
ho-hum beach scene, but no Picasos either. There’s a pair of iron
chairs and a table at the foot of the bed, blocking a useless
fireplace. For the record, continuing to block the useless fireplace
was part of my redecoration plan.

These oddities include the fact that they don’t accept credit cards.
Cash only. Ouch.

The prices are agreeable and the television in this room is handily
mounted on the wall. However, the superior room’s television sits on a
cart, making things seem not so superior after all.

Checkout is at 10am, which would make some feel rushed. We adjusted
rather quickly, however, mostly because we wanted out of that musty
room so badly. I am still not sure what the problem was but the toilet
made a hideous sound when flushed and quite possibly could’ve been
part of the issue. The mystery continues.

It should be noted that when we brought up this smell to the lady of
the house, she offered up our stay free of charge. We’d never heard of
such a thing and refused her generosity. So she suggested we merely
pay what we thought the stay was worth. Again, madness. Confused, I
shaved off twenty pounds and everybody was smiling - except my girl,
who was suffering a terrible headache from the aforementioned
terrorizing odor.

Breakfast was coffee, pastries, juices and a fine fruit salad. There
are two fine sitting rooms, one with a fantastic faux pebble carpet.
I want one for myself. The smaller sitting room is very comfortable
and well-maintained but I felt intrusive using the room with family
photos everywhere and a personal to-do list by the computer. The
larger sitting room made me feel the same way. With the ironing board
out in the open, it was like she was called upon in the middle of
pressing shirts. There’s making guests feel at home and then there’s
T.M.I.

Perfectly lovely family-run B&B with imperfections that may
potentially hurt your stay.

Room Tip: First arrivers get to choose which room they get. Get there early and choose the larger room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TickyTackyM
RiversStreetRooms, Owner at Rivers Street Rooms, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that some of the things about your stay with us weren’t to your liking. I’d like to take the opportunity to briefly address a few of the points.

Unfortunately during your stay there was extensive repair work on the gas supply lines on our road (and throughout much of Bath). Without a doubt this would have been an eyesore and no one is more pleased than us that the work is complete and the road back to it’s normal beautiful Georgian self! You did mention that there was a bad smell in your bathroom during your stay (and rightly pointed out that we discounted your stay as a result, as we do not want any of our guests to leave unhappy). We think that the smell may have been a result of the work on the road. Certainly we have had our plumber check the whole bathroom, and there is no smell or sign of any problem.

It’s a shame you didn’t mention that it’s a large, brand new bathroom with separate shower and free standing bath, and that it is tiled floor to ceiling in Italian travertine. The private bathroom is outside the room, but it is so close that one can step almost directly from the room to the bathroom.

I certainly agree with you that our City View Room has spectacular views across Bath and to the countryside beyond, but was disappointed that you found the view from your room to be ‘lousy’. I am sure John Wood the Elder would turn in his grave to hear his beautiful Georgian houses and street-scape described in this way!

Our check-out time is 10am but we are flexible with this, and it is set at this because so many of our guests request early check-ins to make the most of one day stays. Indeed, we gave you an 11.30am check-in. It is not possible to offer early check-ins and late check-outs because of the cleaning time required per room.

As to some of the other small points you made, for health and safety reasons we would not have working fireplaces in any of the bedrooms (I am as much a fan of these as you are, but practicalities must sometimes prevail). The rooms are on the top floor but are not attic rooms. In Georgian times these reooms were the servant quarters, and our rooms retain the period fire places and other features whilst being modern in décor and well-insulated for comfort! Many guests love the peace and quiet that is enjoyed in these rooms as they are also apart from much of the family living space. The beds in the twin room are antique French Mahogany beds which are actually larger than normal beds.

Without a doubt, as you rightly pointed out, we would not compare to a 4 star hotel in America. We are a 4 star b&b, operated from our family home in the World Heritage City of Bath, England. As a result, there are professionally taken family photos across some of the walls (so many of our guests have loved them) and if you are in during the day you may catch me or my cleaner ironing or cleaning. However, the rooms have no personal items in them at all and we have tried to make every effort to add all of the little things that guests may need (tea, coffee, herbal tea, biscuits, sweets, hand and body creams, facial wipes etc) and are happy to take on board suggestions for other things that guests might find useful to make their stay more enjoyable. Apologies that the pictures on the walls aren’t Picassos, but as you also point out, we’re very reasonably priced so haven’t quite been able to stretch to original works of art!

I hope that you enjoy the rest of your trip across Europe and thanks again for staying with us.

Sharon and Sean
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

We required accomodation for 3 nights and never having visited Bath before were very unsure where to stay. We struck lucky however when we came across the home of Sharon and Shaun in Rivers Street! They are very welcoming hosts, along with their cat Molly who made us feel even more at home. Sharon allowed us to come and go as we pleased and as we found Bath so interesting we did just that! I must add at this stage we now feel a lot fitter having done the stairs so often! The bed in the city view room was very comfortable and the breakfasts made a nice change to a 'fry up'! We highly recomend Bath AND staying here! Will visit again for sure. Thank you Sharon!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank peugeot2071963
Baldock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

Me and my husband stayed here for our 2nd wedding anniversary, we had the City View Room, and it didnt disappoint, you could definately see the city from the room which was situated at the top of the house.

Service was brilliant, they couldnt do enough for you, the room was clean and had everything and more, but if there was something you needed then, no problem, they would do what they could to get it for you.

The B&B was situated within about 5-10 mins walk from city centre and unlimited free parking, but if you fancied a drink without walking that far then 1 min at the end of the road was a pub!

The bathroom was full sized and tiled throughout, with a roll top bath, and shampoo/conditioner/shower gel was supplied, as well as very colourful dressing gowns for the 2 step journey to the bathroom!

Breakfast was thoroughly enjoyable, you even had the option to have breakfast at the table in your room if you prefered!! Different pastries available every day including delicious goats cheese and veg bakes, mini toad in the hole, scones etc but my favourite the melt in the mouth cheese twirls!! There was also about 7 different cereals, plus fruit, yoghurts, toast etc, you will not go hungry!

You are welcome to come and go as you please, and you always felt comfortable to do so, but if you needed assistance then there was always someone available to help as you were basically staying in their house, and not in a separate part of the building so had a lovely homely feeling.

All in all I cant recommend River Street Rooms enough, if you are planning a stay in Bath, look them up.

Room Tip: Request the City View Room, AMAZING VIEWS!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CherryFixter
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

Bedrooms and bathrooms have everything you need for a weekend away. Beds are huge and very comfortable. Bathrooms are not properly en-suite - you have to come out of your room to access them next door - but Sharon has thoughtfully provided each room with snazzy dressing gowns. Breakfast is served in the beautifully decorated ground floor dinning room; you know it's time to go down because of the fantastic smell of coffee and fresh baking wafting all the way up the stairs! There is the usual selection of cereals, but we also had fresh fruit salad - definately NOT out of a carton! - and the best bits are the fresh loaf cake (banana loaf the first morning, apple, ginger and lemon drizzle the second day) and the little hot "bites" of mini toad-in-the-holes and baby quiches. Plenty of juices and coffee pot replenished if required.
As the guest rooms are at the very top of the house, it would not be suitable for anyone with mobility problems.
The Rivers Street Rooms are in a lovely quiet street, but is only a 10 - 15 minute stroll to the main shopping areas and the rive,r so is in a great location.
Andif you are there at the weekend, the pub along the street (The Chequers) does a great Sunday roast.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Live-for-my-hols
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

No signs out front so go ahead and ring the doorbell when you're dropped off at the door. I felt like I was visiting family with the staff at this B&B. When our teenager spilled his drink at breakfast they were so helpful. When I accidentally scared Sharon while we were making a phone call in the dark, she laughed and went on her way. When we bothered them with our lack of direction, Sean took time and helped our small issues run smoothly. I'm not saying you should do all of these things. I'm just saying you should stay there. I sure do miss her breakfasts.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank FrankBurley
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

I booked to stay as an overnight stop on the way to Devon and to enjoy the Thermae Bath Spa the next day, all for my boyfriend's 40th birthday. The room was lovely and we had a quirky shower room, toilet (lovely underfloor heated flagstones!)and a tiny courtyard, all for our own use next door on the same floor. The room had all the facilities you'd expect with a big Kingsize bed and lovely crisp sheets and feather duvet. Sharon was very helpful about places to eat and drink that evening and printed off a map to help us get tot he spa the following day. On street parking places can be difficult to find unless you can get there earlier in the day but again Sharon was helpful about where to look. Next day we had a nice continental breakfast and left by 10.15am. The Rivers Street Rooms are a beautifully restored classic bath house that has a lovely, friendly understated feel to them............a really nice start to our 5 day break!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple