“Nice gastropub with good food and service”
Review of The Chequers

The Chequers
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 620 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: A landmark dining destination in the historic town of Bath, The Chequers is a beautifully restored gastropub on Rivers Street that has been serving customers since 1776. Offering a slice of local living to visitors from out of town, The Chequers is an elegant escape from the city’s bustling boutiques and is only a short walk from the Circus and the Royal Crescent. Serving a menu of home cooked, local & seasonal food alongside a premium selection of wines, local ciders and real ales, this is a fantastic place to spend an evening over a bottle or two with friends and family. On the menu you’ll find gastropub fare unrivalled in Bath with old pub favourites including their award winning Sunday lunch given a classy makeover. The Chequers restaurant also caters for business meetings and private parties.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Booked for a party of 9. Had never been to the restaurant before and went on recommendation. With a party of 9 requested to pre order (which I hate). I asked if we could go for a reduced menu which was readily agreed to. Advice given as to menu choices.
Arrival was a little fragmented as there is nowhere really to congregate before food. Table was in the window which afforded a degree of privacy. Quite noisy at times but not unpleasant.
Starter of Lamb Scotch egg very nice. A number had the salt and pepper squid which was coated - a shame but it seems to be a rarity in the UK to get uncoated squid.
Two had steak main courses - very positive. Others had fish, chicken pie - no complaints about any dis. Desert was the only part of the menu I didn't chose and personally was disappointed but I think I was in the minority (one of our party order two deserts so can't all be bad)
Bill can to around £55 per head including drinks (only two bottles of wine) which did not seem unreasonable.
Don't recall being advised that 12.5% service charge would be added (where did 10% go??). Disappointed to see that after this had been added, the receipt had a space for gratuity - not uncommon but not a good trend.
Overall very happy with our visit. Lewis the assistant manager was very helpful in advance and on the night everyone enjoyed the food and location. Would happily return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,151)

Reviewed September 9, 2013

we had a really lovely meal on saturday , the scallops were a delight and the ham hock terrine was delicious , and the pork chops were wonderful, staff were helpful and attentive , it was a fabulous evening and nice atmosphere . we went somehwere else on the sunday and wished we had returned here . well done guys

1  Thank caroline e
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife had been recommended to go to The Chequers and I'm very please about it. We had a very lovely meal and the service was great too. I had scallops and smoked belly pork to start it was probably the best starter I've ever out, it was all lovely. My wife had the scotch egg, again very delicious. My wife then had the chicken pie and I had a rib eye steak with chunky chips. I'm often a bit nervous about thick chips because they never seem to be cooked properly in the middle, well these were exceptional chips, beautifully cooked and very tasty. It was pretty busy, Friday night, and I'd suggest booking a table, rather than just chancing it. I did think that the price was pretty steep, £90 two course meal for two and drinks, but overall it was worth it for the excellent meal.

1  Thank Ian B
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

This is one of our favourite restaurants in Bath. In fact we often try somewhere new and regret not booking The Chequers.

The food is always fresh, flavoursome and well cooked. I think this is the benefit of having a slightly smaller menu which other reviewers have mentioned. They cook both 'pub grub' and fine dining meals well. Always happy to find crisp and non greasy fish and chips.

We have had the Sunday Roasts here a number of times and have never been disappointed, although sometimes you do have to request a Yorkshire pudding (which they happily do). There is a lot of care and attention mad to make the accompaniments interesting and tasty and the meat has never failed to impress. My vegetarian friends praised the veggie option to the high heavens saying it was the best she's ever tasted.

Wine menu is great- lots of choice and have never had a bad wine. Also they serve Bath ales which is always a winner with my boyfriend.

Finally, the staff are brilliant. They are always friendly, happy to help and you feel valued as a customer.

2  Thank Roou
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went for early evening meal, waitress's excellent and attentive ,food of very good quality and presentation. Only gripe is that I was charged £4.80 for a fresh orange and lemonade which was £0.70p more than the price of my larger. Bar price does not encourage purchases of further drinks. However I would recommend a visit .

1  Thank dalglish07