“Brilliant!”

Ranked #8 of 154 Bath B&B and Inns
Brighton & Hove, England
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed September 19, 2006

I stayed at Three Abbey Green when I took my mum to the newly-opened Spa. Loved Three Abbey Green so much I am staying again next month - a Spa treat for a girlfriend's 50th - and will be back in the new year with my husband. (So, OK, there is a midweek special running from November to February - two nights + third night half price - my old man already knows I am cheap!!!) Everything about the place - from book baskets in the bedrooms full of stuff you meant to read but never had, to beautiful decor (e.g. gorgeous ice grey carpets) to some lovely pieces of furniture - was brilliant. Being a 3 min walk from the Spa was also good news - Three Abbey Green really central: point your nose out of your window at night and there is Bath Abbey lit up. . . However, having said all this - and actually I should have said much more because the place is seriously good news - I have to admit the biggest part of Three Abbey Green's appeal was the family: Sue, Derek and daughter Nici. Sue is a mini-tornado of perfection; Nici a mini-Sue; Derek (ex. company director) as happy to discuss share prices as he is the best restaurants in town; while grandson Finlay sticks with the day job . . . he has just started nursery school! Sue and Derek are a sort-of up-market Sybil and Basil Fawlty - the difference being they are truly international in outlook and Three Abbey Green is definitely NOT Fawlty Towers! Finally, a word about mini-Sue, Nici. Think funny intelligent blond - and then consider while she's chatting away at breakfast as if she hasn't a care in the world, her husband is serving in Kandahar. As one of Three Abbey Green's guests - a Texan businessman - said to me (under beautiful tree outside while he had a cigar: Three Abbey Green is non-smoking) - 'You couldn't make it up'. You can't. Try the place out for yourself. It's brilliant. You will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Proximity to spa
  • Disliked — loved everything
  • Tips/Secrets — If visiting Bath Spa take extra towels and something to read.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CorinneJulia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Columbia, MD
Reviewed September 8, 2006

We stayed in the Lord Nelson Room. It is a beautiful room with a canopied bed overlooking a square containing a 300 year old maple tree. Derrick and Sue (owners) and Maria (caretaker) are never short of helpful suggestions, and take a personal interest in your stay. The B & B had a good wireless internet connection that was complimentary. Breakfast was cooked to order, tasty and plentiful. We had a brief problem with the shower which was fixed quickly. Also the loveseat in our room was a bit threadbare. Derrick suggested we go to nearby Glastonbury by bus, and that turned out to be the highlight of our stay in Bath. The B & B has a perfect location, a few steps to the Roman Baths and Bath Abbey. One additional note, we took the Bizarre Bath Walking tour and had a great time. For a B&B stay in Bath, this was a great experience.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, England
Reviewed September 2, 2006

My wife and i recently spent four nights in Bath, it was for her fortieth birthday so i had spent some time prior to booking searching for the best reviews. This had by far the best reviews so i went with it. On the day of arrival we turned up and were greeted by Maria who quickly checked us in and told us exactly were to go for the free parking, a walk of about 15 minutes. But seemed like five as you were walking through the most beautiful surroundings. Otherwise parking is limited and very expensive. The B&B was beautiful, we had the Lord Nelson room, which had the four poster bed, two sofas, TV hair dryer, tea coffee and biscuits a trouser press was also in the room, the only negative for me was the bathroom, which was a shower room with a standard sized round shower tray which for a larger gentleman like myself was a bit small, other than that i could not fault the place. The room was at the front and looked out onto the beautiful green. We went for a walk around and the abbey and roman baths whichreally were only 100 yards away, we could not have been better situated for everything. There had been a couple of comments about noise, we had no issues at all until our last night which was the night of the A level results when every 18 year old was out celebrating, there is a pub opposite and at 11.30pm there was a bit of noise but this had finished by midnight, given the location this was much less than i would have expected from a town centre location

The following morning we met Sue the owner at breakfast, she could not have been more helpful providing a map of all the restaurants and personally recommending a few. This was the pattern for the week asking about our previous day and suggesting things for the day ahead. the breakfast was well cooked and presented lovely, the salmon on scrambled egg was exceptional. And the toast and coffee kept on coming. The coffee was a godsend the morning after my wifes birthday.

The One fish Two fish restaurant was amazing, Sue is a friend of the owners and was more than happy to ring and make a reservation. It is a small cellar converted into a restaurant, the owner Katherine was lovely and despite being rushed off her feet, still made time to talk to the customers and it felt like you were a friend not a customer. I had the fishcakes as a starter from the specials board and they were fabulous, the whole meal was exceptional and my wife and i were only sorry we did not have the chance to get back before we left. If you are in Bath you must eat here!!!.

Also the Eastern Eye Indian restauarant in the town centre, which was not on the list provided by Sue, but was recommended by her. Again the staff were very friendly and the restaurant is amazing it is an old casino and has the appearance of having domed roof windows. It was also well priced.

If visiting the roman Baths do so at night the image will stay with you for ever it is like a movie set, you can almost imagine Russell Crowe walking past you.

Another must is be outside the Huntsman pub at 8pm and join the Bizarre Bath comedy walk. £7.00 an adult in the rain almost put us off, but we were already there so we went ahead. The night we went was a charity night and all monies were handed straight to a rep from a nearby Hospice which was a very nice touch. The Rain stopped after about 30 minutes but by that time we did not care we were laughing too much. The walk involved audience participation. Passers by were not immune to a barracking either. If you do nothing else when in Bath then do this walk.

We visited the new thermae spa baths which had opened the week before, we had pre-booked and it was a good job, as there were no treatments available that week. the spa was lovely although there were still a few teething problems.

Anyway i am rambling, i will be rushing back to Bath and will be staying at Three Abbey Green.

• Liked — location was perfect
  • Disliked — small shower
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat at one fish two fish, and take the Bizzare Bath comedy tour
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barry&Debbie
woodland hills, ca
Reviewed September 2, 2006

My family, including two young children, had the good fortune to stay at 3 Abbey Green after a stressful journey from the U.S. to the UK. The property was gorgeous and beautifully maintained, and could not have been in a better location for touring this glorious town. It was as much of a pleasure to come back each night as it was to to step out into the center of Bath each morning. The beds were especially comfortable--ideal for sleeping off jet lag. We stayed in the "Asher Suite." There was ample space and thick enough walls so that my children were able to relax without being intrusive to the other guests. I did not know how well the B&B experience would work for a family. Sue, the proprietor put us immediately at ease. She was at once friendly and professional, and made it her business to recommend the best activities and eateries to meet the differing needs of all the guests. Stay here if you can!

• Liked — Location, beauty of property, size of room
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank bighornsheep
Coventry
Reviewed August 28, 2006

My wife and I have just returned from a weekend break in this most wonderful guest house. If you want to step back in time then this is the place for you. We'd wondered when we arrived in Bath what the Georgian buildings might be like behind the front doors ... this is the place to find out! We stayed in the Lord Nelson suite and with its fantastic four poster bed it really did feel as though you were back in the time of Nelson. The bedside lamps were a novelty ... took us most of one evening to get them to work! We want some! The room was huge for just the two of us but it felt as though you were Lord of the Manor. The building itself is situated on one side of a 'courtyard' literally 2 minutes from the Roman Baths and the Abbey itself. Also just around the corner from Sally Lunn's House and the highly recommended Tilley's restaurant! We just couldn't fault the property.

A previous reviewer mentioned the lack of car parking ... a problem for anyone who ventures into Bath and wants to stay in the centre overnight. Once Maria had told us where to park safe for free (yes it was a 15 minute walk away up a hill) the car was deposited and left for the weekend. Even though the room is on the front of the building and there is a pub (The Crystal Palace) on the opposite side of the green, the noise, when there is any, is negligible. It was great opening the window and peering out to listen to the Bizarre Bath tour taking place in the green on a night!

From Maria's friendly greeting at check-in to the mouth-watering breakfasts and chats with Sue and Derek, the proprietors, it really was a pleasure. They couldn't do enough for you. We will certainly go back and stay again. Once you've stayed here you won't want to stay anywhere else!

If you do go, look at the front door ... there's something not quite right about it ... ask Derek.

• Liked — The whole experience
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared to leave the car out of town
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2006

When I talk about the Bath experience I'm not talking about sitting in a tub in my house with some suds coming up to my neck. Instead I'm talking about my first visit to the city of Bath, England with my wife. We stayed at a Bed & Breakfast - Three Abbey Green (3 Abbey Green Bath BA11NW). My first experience in a B&B. When we arrived we were greeted by one of the proprietors Sue. She was a lovely English lady who greeted my wife and I like we were long lost friends. We were quickly checked in and Sue asked what we had planned for the weekend. When we told her what we had thought of doing she nodded approvingly. She also suggested a free walking tour the following morning that she said she had recommended before. (She picked a winner!) We stayed in the Lady Hamilton room. The room was very nice and clean. With amenities such as a hair dryer, an electric kettle (with tea, coffee, hot chocolate, and biscuits), and a television. The only downside was that the room was on the street level with the green and it was a bit noisy. Late at night some of the party people were a bit disturbing but for the most part it was manageable. The breakfast in the morning was freshly made with local produce. My wife was pleased with her English breakfast and my salmon & scrambled eggs were scrumptious. We had lunch one afternoon at - Cafe du Globe. The lunch is a little bit of everything. The service was spot on. The nachos were the best I've had in the UK. The only downside was the Moroccan chicken my wife had. It was BLAND and did not live up to the rest of the meal. My wife had arranged for us to have dinner one night at - onefishtwofish (10 North Parade, Bath, (01225) 330236. Needless to say the service and food will have us coming back in the future. We went for the Specials board the whole way accompanied by a lovely bottle of Beaujolais. We started with the Sushi, Sushi, Sushi and the Salmon trio starters. We followed it with the Hake and Ray mains. But the unforgettable experience was my wife's dessert - Banoffee Dessert. We are big fans of Banoffee Pies but this was an eye rolling experience (you know what I mean). My mango crème brulee was good but this Banoffee Dessert will be talked about for many years. We had to cancel our coffee order because we were in a hurry and the servers were very gracious and rushed us our bill. Paul & Katherine Greenhead (the proprietors) should be proud of a restaurant that would compete with those in London.

At the recommendation of our host Sue (from 3 Abbey Green) we did the Free Walking Tour of Bath. This was a comprehensive, interesting tour of Bath through the stories of the individuals who made Bath what it is today. The real benefit of the tour is that it takes you off the beaten path to places that you would otherwise not visit. Once done you'll know all about John Wood (elder & younger).

In my opinion the Museum of Costume can be missed but my wife really enjoyed seeing all the costumes from the 1800s till now. My highlight was THE J-Lo dress. You know the one. If you go here you can do a special deal for the Museum & the Roman Baths. £13 per adult.

We also ate at La Tasca (36 Broad street) that is a chain with typical chain service. Nothing special but a good, quick meal.

We also had dinner at-
Mai Thai (6 Pierrepont Street Bath).
As you can probably guess it is a Thai restaurant.
My wife had made reservations several days prior to our visit. However, upon our arrival we were taken to a table in the corner by the bar even though the place wasn't full. When I pointed out a particular table I'd prefer I was told it was being held for someone else. We were then escorted to a back room and seated two tables away from a family with two young (energetic) children. Needless to say theirs often interrupted our conversation. The food was okay. I've had much better before and one server was particularly unfriendly. When another customer was seated directly behind me I was told, "Move your seat in." No please or thank you. Probably the low point of our visit to this lovely town.

Another tour we did was-
Bizarre Bath
A walking, comedy tour of Bath. It was worth EVERY penny - £7. My wife and I laughed for almost two straight hours and we talked about it on our way home. DO NOT miss this if you are in Bath. It's much better than going to a comedy show and just as funny.

Long Beach Ca
Reviewed August 23, 2006

The Three Abbey Green in Bath UK is a lovely and cozy B&B just a stone's throw from the Roman Baths and within easy walking distance to the Abbey, the new spa and several great restaurants. Our room was very nice: we (three of us ladies) stayed in the Lord Nelson room with a four- poster bed and an extra cot. They were very accomodating for our special health needs: one of our group is diabetic and needed her medication refrigerated and I am gluten-intolerant. The kitchen refrigerator was made available with no fuss; not only did they have a gluten-free cereal on the premises, Derek made a special trip to buy gluten-free bread for me for the following day and sent the loaf with me when we checked out! I can't tell you how different that is from the U.S. They seem to be very aware of celiac/gluten intolerance in the UK.

We had free internet access while we were there and all the tips re:restaurants, tours and sites were excellent. Both Derek and Sue were very gracious as well as their on-site manager. Breakfast in the morning was a treat with smoked salmon, eggs, sausage, fresh fruit as well a a variety of cereals available. Yum!

• Liked — Comfort and location
  • Disliked — not that many rooms to choose from
  • Tips/Secrets — Listen to your hosts: they do know best!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends