“Perfection”

Acorn Vegetarian Kitchen
Ranked #30 of 590 Restaurants in Bath
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A vegetarian restaurant unlike any other. Modern, exciting food using local and artisan ingredients. A place to relax with friends and family, a glass of wine and food to remember.
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Had to visit this place after seeing their cookbook in one of Bath's fantastic independent bookshops. It's a little restaurant (booking advised) so we were lucky to get a table. There is an early menu which is amazing value, as well as the normal a la carte. The space is decorated simply and beautifully, the staff are efficient and friendly, and the food... I'm not a vegetarian but this was some of the most inventive and stunning food I've had full stop. Not for a second would you miss meat or fish. It was a really inspiring place with some great new flavour combinations, and I would urge everyone to try it whether you're vegetarian or not. Highly recommended!

1  Thank TheDutchess77

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Neither my husband or I are vegetarians but we ate here yesterday at lunchtime and were both very impressed with the food. The cauliflower panna cotta was fantastic, which came with truffled broccoli, doesn't probably sound that exciting but the taste was amazing. The mains were great too, the lunch menu is great value, we had a couple of lovely cocktails and the staff were lovely. Would definitely recommend and plan to re-visit.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

As a vegetarian it's a treat to eat so well, and to find such wonderful food. Went with a group of meat-eating friends who were instantly converted. An excellent restaurant, brilliant food, in a city where standard of restaurants is great. You can also buy the recipe book.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Who said that Michelin style presentation belongs to non-vegetarian restaurants only? This place not only serves great food, not only offers a relaxed environment, not only uses locally sourced products, but presents each dish as if you're dining in a £100 per dish establishment. Its menu options provide great value for money too. Furthermore, you can buy a book on the premises with all the recipes on the menu, so you can attempt to re-create at home what you've just eaten. Not many chefs do that!!

Our starters were the celeriac soup with truffle oil, and the summer beetroots with lavender blueberries, hazelnuts and home made cream cheese curds. The soup was a delicious, hearty portion full of taste, served with home made bread. The beetroots were cooked to perfection, not too soft, and full of taste.

For the main course we had the stuffed courgette flower with smoked Dorset red and ricotta, cannellini beans and chard in a romesco sauce; as well as the pear and pumpkin tagine with griddled leeks, butter beans and bulgar wheat. Both combinations fitted perfectly to the dish.

We also tried the vanilla pannacotta with plum gazpacho, seared plums and shortbread. The pannacotta was delicious but I think it could have done without the plum gazpacho, as it seemed to overpower the pannacotta.

Overall I thoroughly recommend this restaurant, not only to vegetarians but to meat eaters alike (I am not a vegetarian).

Reviewed October 31, 2013

If all vegetarian food was like this, I'd happily turn. If I wasn't paying, anyway.

Or should I say 'cuisine' for somewhere like Demuths? The food here is in a different class to what I'm used to. It isn't just good (and it is very good). It's inventive. It's interesting. Several times I had to ask what items on the menu were. Or look at the menu to work out where on earth the artichoke had gone. Did you know swede can be delicious?

I was afraid somewhere so sophisticated might be a little snooty, but it is not, the staff were very friendly, and perfectly happy to assist in my confusion.