“Hard to beat for vegetarian”

Acorn Vegetarian Kitchen
Ranked #30 of 587 Restaurants in Bath
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A vegetarian restaurant unlike any other. Modern, exciting food using local and artisan ingredients. A place to relax with friends and family, a glass of wine and food to remember.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Demuths has been around for, ooh, about as long as I can remember. It's not a place I have eaten at often, largely because it is a vegetarian restaurant. But that was exactly the reason why we went there on this occasion.

It was the missus' birthday. She has been becoming increasingly keen on exploring the idea of vegetarianism. I think that anyone who thinks a lot about the food that they eat will at some point examine the way the feel about eating meat. Some may end up thinking it's unnatural and stop eating meat, others may simply have a greater respect about where it comes from and what it means to eat meat. Which is the camp I'm in. The missus is still undecided.

With that in mind, and with the thought that we both want to expand our repertoire of vegetarian dishes and try to have better ideas about preparing vegetarian meals, I thought I'd take her out to lunch to one of the best vegetarian restaurants in the area.

I had been considering going to a vegetarian restaurant in Bristol - Cafe Maitreya - but the lunch menu at Demuths looked a bit more interesting. And I was also taking the missus along to the Field of Lights at the Holburne Museum.

A small restaurant, Demuths is probably best described as intimate. Although booking ahead and mentioning that it was for a birthday did mean we got a secluded alcove which helped it feel more private.

When we sat down, at about 2.30pm, we seemed to have arrived about 5 minutes after quite a few other tables who all ordered before us. I was dreading a long wait until we would get our meals. But the kitchen is obviously well run (by Head Chef, Richard Buckley) and we didn't notice any delay. Full marks for service.

I chose the Blue Vinny Tart with potatoes and salad. On reflection exactly the sort of uninspired stuff that I wanted to try and avoid - quiche. But that doesn't do it justice. Although it lacked a real punch of blue cheese the quality of the tart and the skill that had gone into making it were obvious. The portion was, for me, a little small. But I enjoyed eating it, and didn't feel like I hadn't had enough. The preserved lemon oil used to dress the salad was delicious.

The missus went for Port Poached Pear with ewe's milk cheese, hazelnuts, spelt and fennel seeds and was very, very pleased. We seem to have gorged on pears this year. I didn't taste any due to the hazelnuts (I've got a nut allergy). But she loved it and she has a great palate, so I trust her judgement.

Meat free certainly feels like a nicer way to eat sometimes, and though this meal may not have provided a great deal of inspiration for home cooking it has made me more inclined to consider eating at other vegetarian restaurants.

There are newer reviews for Acorn Vegetarian Kitchen

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We popped into Demuths for lunch and took advantage of their lunch menu! The food was of a superb standard, and despite my concerns about an all vegetarian restaurant,the food was so full of flavour. A lot on the menu that i had never heard of but decided to go for it and order something different!! The lunch menu was incredibly good value for the quality of the food and would recommend this to even the most carnivorous!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The menu here looks interesting but doesn't do justice to all the wonderful flavours that turn up on your plate. The food really is delicious (similar in style to Terre a Terre in Brighton). The service struck the right balance between proactive and relaxed. My only problem was that I couldn't decide between all the different types of bread on offer so I ended up taking two pieces (one onion, one beetroot) and then was too full to finish my main course!
For the standard of food it was fairly reasonable, price-wise. Our bill worked out at £30 per head for 2 courses and 2 glasses of wine each.
I really recommend this place for foodies, carnivorous or veggie.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stumbled across Demuths restaurant whilst we were looking for somewhere to have lunch in Bath and the menu looked attractive and it was fairly priced at £12.50 for 2 courses. We both enjoyed our two course meal- the food was freshly cooked, innovative and the ingredients were top-quality. The service was relaxed but attentive and we both thoroughly enjoyed our lunch and we will return.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

the most positive surprise in a long time. as a real carnivore i had my vegetarian friend over for a visit. taking her to demuths was the best idea ever. really interesting combinations, some of them hard to imagine without trying, perfectly done, fresh, crunchy, colorful, tasty,...........
absolutely fine dining on a very high level, certainly nobody in bath does better vegetables......
looking forward to eat there again, even without my veg. friend as an excuse ;-)