“Great food & lovely atmosphere!”
Review of Darwin’s Kitchen

Darwin’s Kitchen
Ranked #74 of 382 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: American, British, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Darwin’s Kitchen enjoys a great location in the heart of Shrewsbury with easy walking access to the railway station, local tourist spots and many great independant shops and boutiques. Four stylishly decorated double rooms are complimented with contemporary en-suite bathrooms, flat screen tv's and free wi-fi access. Darwin's Kitchen is the newest addition to Shrewsbury based company The DiTella Group also comprising of The Loopy Shrew and Darwin's Townhouse. The Chefs have carefully created a menu offering guests a social dining experience. The Kitchen offers a wide range of small and bigger plates some British favourites and some inspired from around the globe. Darwin's Kitchen has created a warm and inviting environment, perfect for any occasion. Cosy up on the sofas with your morning coffee and paper, catch up with friends in their tropical, leafy conservatory, treat your nearest and dearest to dinner in The Dining Room, a firm nod to Charles Darwin’s roots and style
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Having loved Mad Jacks, I am delighted to report that a name change hasn't changed the laid back ambience, and the same fantastic food!

Went for a works meal and wasn't disappointed! The staff were upbeat, friendly yet professional & I was very very happy that my pulled pork burger had both a juicy patty, as well the pulled pork! Delicious.

5 stars - and will be recommending to all my friends & family!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I've eaten at PorterHouse several times since it was relaunched (and ate there a lot when it was MJs) and really would recommend it. The menu has been pared down to feature high quality, reasonably priced dishes, almost all of which are things that I'd like to eat all day, every day, but the joy of PH is that someone else cooks it for you! My most recent visit was with three friends, two of us had the chicken wings (I have to confess, my second helping this week) and the boys had the pulled pork and Wagyu burgers. We left feeling warm, fat and very happy.

The staff are friendly and have got the balance just right when it comes to being attentive and knowing when to leave you alone, which when married together with the warm decor and huge portions of delicious food, makes it feel like you've popped round to a friend's house for a bite to eat. I only wish the dining chairs reclined so I could have a little snooze after eating too much mac'n'cheese (again)...

Keep it up guys!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Went for an evening meal and was initially sat in the conservatory which was cold. Asked to be moved into the old dining area which was done. Ordered a bottle of wine and the wrong one was bought to the table, this was replaced by the correct bottle which although not off, was definitely not 100% right.

Calamari starter was a little rubbery, daily special of duck and black bean pancakes was good but the size difference between them and the chicken wings was a bit obvious.

2 Cajun steaks ordered, ok but a bit overcooked despite the menu advice that medium rare was right. Regular sirloin was gristly. They ran out of handcut chips and gave us a top up of frozen.

I was surprised that the menu had details of each of the local cheeses but nothing about the steak. Was it local or just the cheaper option ? I think I know the answer.

Deserts were minimal for the cost.

Overall service was ok but each meal was served with the words "enjoy", something a little more original would help. 2 salt pots were empty and a third contained pepper.

Mad Jacks standards varied but this seems to be grabbing maximum return for less effort. I'm sorry but I can't recommend.

1  Thank Max_Bank
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Went there as two couples with high expectations after previously good experiences prior to its reinvention and conversion. Sadly we were disappointed. The conservatory area where we were initially seated was cold. We were however reseated inside the main restaurant without any fuss when we asked. We chose a wine that was not cheap but was recommended by our waiter. It proved to be poor, although not corked or off. We advised the waiter when we ordered a second bottle of a different wine but our comments fell on deaf ears.
As the place is now essentially a steak and burger restaurant we all had steak and were all disappointed by the quality of the meat.
Two of us had dessert and two had coffee. When we had finished we were not offered anything else and we left, after paying, to get a drink somewhere else. We are unlikely to return. What a let down from the highs of the previous format.

1  Thank dallas-cowboy
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Great food.Unpretenious service. relaxed yet professional. Bar great but, don't forget to eat as well. My personal favorites: the Porter House burger and the blackened sirloin. not to be missed, all good but caters for vegetarians and vegans as well. Go!