“Great food but don't be greedy”
Review of La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita
Ranked #1 of 371 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a genuine family run restaurant, we are proud to prepare Modern Italian cuisine, we also offer exclusive fine dining gourmet evenings during the year, where Italian cuisine is taken to a much higher level, bookings essential.
Reviewed November 17, 2013

A lovely meal well served but traditional Italian starter, pizza or pasta, meat dish and desert just too much food for this Brit. Coffee was a little disappointing considering everything was so good. House red wine excellent but just a a bit too full bodied for my taste. These are minor points. Eat here and you understand why this is the best rated trip advisor restaurant in Shrewsbury. Its a safe bet.

2  Thank grayee1962

Reviewed November 16, 2013

My wife and I ate in La Dolce Vita on Thursday evening whilst visiting Shewsbury for a couple of days. Luigi had explained when we booked our table that this was their "pasta week". Our meals - all three courses - were fantastic and the quality of the food was matched by the service and the welcome we received from Luigi and Patricia. I only wish we lived in Shrewsbury and were able to visit this very special restaurant on a regular basis.

3  Thank Mike B
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We visited la dolce vita with great anticipation as its reviews are soo good. To summarise, the service is very good very friendly and attentive. I liked the spoken italian as being of italian descent it made it a lovely experience.

The problem i had is purely a personal view, We eat out regularly perhaps too much. WE felt that it was on the whole overpriced . the tiramisu was average i have to say, sorry but as its my favorite dessert i eat it a lot and it was just ok not special . The food was beautifully presented but for the prices charged the food and the wine was not outstanding as we were expecting. In fact my wife felt she had ordered the wrong dish as it did not deliver .

So pehaps we are missing something .

2  Thank 574marino1963
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been many times, having lived in Shrewsbury, to "La Dolve Vita", and even now that I live in Wolverhampton, if somebody want to go for Italian food, I rather spend some time in the car, but this i my favourite Italian restaurant in England so far!

This Friday I took there my partner and 2 friends.
The menu, make you think that you want to try as much as possible, because ingredients and dishes description make your mouth watering already.
So we started with 3 Starters to share, Carpaccio( i went for that because i had that before, and I love the way it is done from Gennaro and Patricia), we also had a Caciucco(ho, I had that in the past too, and told Doug that he would have been very pleased with it!) and Claire ordered a Prawn Cocktail, with Salmon(another of my historical dishes there, another one that brought good memories)
The presentation for all the starters is taken seriously as well!
The Caciucco was very tasty, and Doug enjoyed his first tuscanian fish soup! Claire was very happy as the Prawn Cocktail was delicate and rich of flavours, I could not stop keeping tastying slowly the carpaccio, and the touch of the chef was noticeable, and, today, I'm still thinking on how tasty each mouthfull of that carpaccio was!
Doug and I shared a "Primo piatto", Cannelloni di patata e cipolla (V), I don't usually go for Vegetarian dishes, but this autentic creation had to be tried, and Doug and Claire and I were amazed for how delicate the "Homemade cannelloni of potato and balsamic red onion with pine nuts and sage" was!
The "second Piatto" was the main for the night,
Tammy had "Slow cooked cod, smoked mashed potato, tender leek and liquorice", which was delicate and tasty,
Claire had "Spaghetti ai frutti di mare", paghetti with fresh king prawns, clams and mussels, cooked in white wine, cognac and 'coloured' with fresh tomatoes; I had that in the past, and coming from Taranto, a seafood lover by birth, I have always been a bit sceptical about seafood over in UK, but I got to say, that when I had it, it had made me feel back home!!! Claire was surprised by how fresh the seafood was, and loved it
Doug had Roast venison loin, celeriac puree, red cabbage and berries. and I had to try it! it was very tender, and super tasty! as well as my oasted duck breast, sweet corn, sour cabbage, braised seeds and nuts.. different flavours that Gennaro studies and than apply to take his customers to heaven!
As we were very happy, even though with full bellies, in 3 out of four we opted for the dessert..
greedy, yes, but it doesn't happen that often such a choice on such amazing quality!
Tammy had the award winning Chocolate mousse, Doug went for Tiramisu, and I had a Panna cotta.
Could not even try Doug's as was really full, but he cleared possibly before I could even ask!
but I had to ask Tam to try her chocolate award dish..
I'm not a chocolate fun, but once again the combination of flavours was amazing!
My panna cotta was nice and refreshing, with some pistacchio ice cream, one of my favourites too!
Luigi offered us some limoncello in full italian style!
The wine we chose was a not too expensive chianti for the meat dishes and a medium white for a the seafood Claire had, that both went very well supporting the dishes.

The atmosphere is relaxing with background italian music, which you won't hear if you don't want to, but that makes me feel home too.. the lights and the environment help towards an amazing all around night of chatting, enjoying the italian experience in full.

The Adaggio family make you feel very welcome, and Gennaro is ready to give away some of his secret ingredients, if you guess them right!

I hope to be back soon!

10  Thank aresw11
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Beautiful pasta and desserts on Saturday 19th of October. Warm and friendly service also will definitely come back soon when we are in town for lunch or dinner.

3  Thank AWJC