“You Get what you Pay For”
Review of The Grapes Inn - CLOSED

The Grapes Inn
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2013

There is very little to complain about at the Grapes, but equally there is very little to recommend besides value for money. The service is pleasant. The environment is what you would expect from a large chain bar/restaurant.

The Grapes I, Supervisor at The Grapes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review our pub, sorry to hear that you feel that the environment is a nothing special. We do try and make sure that our pub is as unique as possible. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stumbled upon The Grapes whilst in Shrewsbury on hols and its fair to say that if I had checked the reviews first I would probably have given it a miss which would have been a shame as our experience seems to be the opposite of many below. In terms of service I don't see how the staff could have done more to make our meal any more enjoyable. Polite, friendly and attentive. And it was very busy. As for the food - for a fiver a head do people expect it to have been cooked by Gordon Ramsey or something ? You could just about buy the ingredients for that. It was cooked perfectly and very tasty. The menu was the standard British pub chain favourites so easy to find something you like. Portion sizes were just right. We also had deserts plus a drink from the bar each which brought the bill to £42 for a party of four ! I have paid 2-3 times that in other establishments and come out a bit underwhelmed so this was astonishing value

Just to say thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review of our pub, it always brightens up our day! We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Been coming here over the years on and off for meals, not visited for a long time, was on our way home early one evening, all of us were feeling hungry , so we decided to call in for a meal, we wish we had not bothered. The first thing was the waitress serving our table forgot she had't taken our food order as she took our drinks order first then came back a while after and said "sorry I forgot I hadn't taken your food order". Then when the food arrived it was not totally what we had ordered but accepted it as we were really hungry. The waitress who served us was friendly compared to one who was behind the bar when I went to get more drinks, who I also asked where do I pay the bill and in a not very nice manner said "yes" like I knew I was supposed to come to the bar to pay the bill. Certainly won't be visiting again for a long time

2  Thank RobTA61

I would like to start by apologising on behalf of the whole team here, for the mistakes that were made during your visit. If you would like to discuss your experience in person then feel free to message me your contact details and I would be happy to phone you back. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Came here with my 15 months old son, a friend and her 2 children.
We were spoken to like dirt by a young waitress. The food took AGES to arrive - all we ordered were 2 carveries and 2 kids meals so why the long wait?!
Not impressed; won't bother coming again.

4  Thank mummyh93

I would like to apologise on behalf of the whole team here at The Grapes for the poor experience you had in our restaurant. If you would like to message me your contact details we would be happy to call you to discuss this in person. I hope we will see you again so we can deliver the level of service we expect from yourselves.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Went in summer after a morning at Fuzzy Ed's. The gravy served with the children's food didn't pour but fell onto the plate it was so congealed. My lasagne was raw in places and I had to send it back. I didn't want to hang around for a replacement but because it was bought with a 2 for something offer the waitress initially refused a refund.

I complained to the assistant manager in charge who couldn't have given less of a crap. The waitress sulked and blamed it on two coach loads of customers who, if they couldn't be properly caterered for, should have been turned away.

The only redeeming feature was the chef who personally apologised for the food. Won't eat there again.

3  Thank MrsEvs
The Grapes I, Supervisor at The Grapes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

I would like to apologise on behalf of all the team here at The Grapes if you did not enjoy your visit to our pub. We typically offer people replacement meals rather than a refund because of the way our two for £10 offer works. Meals on our menu have a set individual price, and the 2 for £10 comes off later as a discount, rather than these meals being £5 each. It can sometimes be more expensive to have one meal than two, which is why the waitress did not take it off your bill immediately. Please feel free to message me your contact details and I would be happy to phone you and discuss your experience further, if you would like.