“Shocking Service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Hungry Horse - The Oxon Priory
Ranked #265 of 342 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: American, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Shocking Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Bkd a table in advance for a party of 5 for the 31st January, Son's girlfriend birthday, no record of it when we got there. Food ordered then told no steak, then no small fish only jumbo. Then no fish at all!! Decided to leave, waitress very miserable and sarcastic. The "chef" was the manager and wouldn't come out! Young supervisor nervous and inexperienced, Eventually got cash back for the drinks that were ordered, but no apology. Terrible staff, terrible food and new and very gaudy decor. Disaster!! Will not be going again!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank villaren

Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Food on the go. ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Very busy friday night. Ordered our food and then waited 3/4 hour for food. Nobody told us when ordering our food that there was such a long wait. We only had a main course which was ok when it eventually arrived although the chips were cold. I did notice orher people getting their money back and leaving. While waiting for our food one of the waitress came over to talk to her friend and started talking about a customer who had annoyed her which isn't on. Wouldn't go back.

1 Thank Travelcazz
Banbury, United Kingdom
“Great place and very friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

This pub put on a great buffet for our family and they were so friendly, nice, helpful and all round great guys...Thank you all very much..

Visited January 2014
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
“Shambles!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

I visited here for a meal with 15 other people and we pre ordered our food. When we arrived (12:15) we went to our table and sat down. One of the members of the party i was with went to order some drinks. A 'chef' came out and said i had to change my menu choice as they didnt have any in. which i was surprised as as we pre ordered. It took nearly an hour for our starters to come. And there was a big gap of time between the first starter coming out to the last one. They also got the order wrong.
Then it was about 40 minutes after we had our starter that one of the party members went to ask them if we could have our mains. They said they were on their way to collect the empty starter plates. Well after 20 minutes we went to see where they were yet again. We were told the grill wasnt working and they were doing thier best. Although we saw other people having main meals.
Again we chased this as were still waiting and we were told they hadnt started cooking our mains yet! then we were told shortly after they had!
We had pre ordered 3 courses but then at this point had to cancel the desert as we didnt have enough time.
The mains eventually came out, 2 hours after we first got there. The quality of food was shocking! Pink chicken, i had a hair in my food and other people had some food that you would probably describe as being inedible.
One member of the party had to leave after rushing down the steak part of their meal as it was so late and they had to leave.
No member of staff came to check if everything was ok with our meals. No one was particulary helpful either. We were offered another round of drinks but we didnt have time to have these.
As with the starters it took a long time to bring everyones meal out, then we got extra meals brought out!
to be honest this was very unorganised and a real shambles. It wasnt even busy in the pub.
i will not be going back here to eat. We eventually left about 2:45.
I think the staff are in experienced and have no clue on customer service, as previous visits to this 'restaurant' have resulted in staff being rude.

2 Thank Emily R
Newtown, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will not be returning!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have visited the Hungry Horse on a few occasions and to be honest have never left feeling satisfied with my experience. The reasons for visits have been for convenience as no booking is required, however following yet another disappointing meal this weekend I feel that I have given this establishment enough chances. My main meal as like on previous occasions was COLD. My ice cream sundae was nothing more than a milk shake!! The waitress staff clearly had no job satisfaction and even the manager on duty didn't question me when he could clearly see that I was sat at an empty table still waiting over half an hour for my dessert...he knew this as he was supervising the clear up of tables towards the end of the evening. It's a pity that the same enthusiasm towards the refurbishment hasn't been shown in ensuring customer satisfaction. I will not be returning in the hope that the level of service has improved, I do not wish to run the risk of wasting any more money!!!

1 Thank Susan H