“poor service”

Pizza Express
Ranked #133 of 369 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I was a manager of pizza express for 2yrs myself and if any of my staff abandoned their customers the way we were abandoned, i would be having serious words! Of course the food was gr8 and usually always is at pizza express, however our waiter had no interest in us. we were greeted and taken to our seats swiftly as the restaurant wasn't particularly busy at 6pm. We ordered our drinks and not long after our food order was taken. we both ordered starters and mains. My starter arrived but my partners did not, i was starving so asked if he minded me starting. I had finished and sat there for few minutes after, when the manager came over and took my plate away, I asked her to check on partners starter, she apologised and went to find out. It wasn't even written on the docket so we waited another 10mins for it to be cooked! We then waited a further 35 mins for our mains (which isn't too bad) for it to be delivered to the table by the chef, with a (only to be expected) dirty apron. she was very attentive and polite. we had nearly finished our mains when our waiter asked if we wanted another drink we got it but then waited for about 10 mins to ask for bill and plates taken away. I wouldn't mind but it wasn't exactly busy, then we got fed up waiting so walked up and asked our waiter for the bill, he had the cheek to ask us if we wanted to pay gratuity! I still enjoy pizza express after working there but shrewsbury needs to sort its staff out!

1  Thank briege1
There are newer reviews for Pizza Express

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Sadly, well past its use by date. Lunchtime yesterday, few customers and no buzz. Inappropriate, loud Muzak. A rather limp pizza, not very tasty. The toilets have always had a dank smell but yesterday noticeably worse. Not a cheap eat, and nothing to entice a return visit.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I usually love Pizza Express, but my experience at their Shrewsbury branch today was a low point.

"Service with a smile" is not a concept they understand at this branch - I didn't see a single smile from the guy serving us the whole time we were there.

They completely forgot the main course that one of our party had ordered - everyone else had their food before we got an apology and had to wait another few minutes for the last pizza to arrive. Very shoddy.

Most of the food was tasty enough, but my pizza was only luke-warm when it arrived at the table - normally I'd have sent it back for reheating, but there weren't many staff on duty and I didn't want to have to wait ages for it to come back, so I didn't bother.

A couple of people ordered the chocolate cake for dessert, and commented that it was very dry and not especially tasty.

In addition to the drinks that we ordered, we also asked for some iced water and some glasses - we were brought a small jug of water which was inadequate for the size of the party. After it was empty (which was pretty soon!) I asked for it to be refilled - the jug was taken away and no-one bothered to bring us a full one.

The staff working there today were either hung-over or generally just quite clumsy - there were frequent clatters and bangs as things were dropped.

Pizza Express - I think you need to look at giving this particular restaurant a bit of a kick up the backside to bring it up to your usual standard.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

A family meal before the panto at Theatre Severn for 9 of us. We thought that 2 hours would be sufficient time, even with 3 little ones (grandchildren). It was so slow. The thing was that the place wasn't busy. Staff were courteous and friendly, but they really need to get a move on. We just about managed to get to the theatre with 5 minutes to spare after having our meal for 2 hours and 20 minutes, with probably just 30 minutes of eating. Food was OK, but overpriced I thought, The meat and veggie platters were rather small. The pizzas were, well pizzas. We all had small puddings but the waiting was excruciating.

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Nice lunch, friendly staff, good location. Only bad point is the drinks are very over priced, one bottle of beer is £6 for 600ml and the £4 for a 330ml bottle. Apart from that good meal and very much the same on your return, we had the same meal 2 weeks before and there wasn't much different which shows consistentsy. Overall it is what is and good value for money.