“Very friendly staff make an evening”

Cromwells Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 351 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, European, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: A vibrant and lively popular Inn right in the centre of the historic County Town. Close to all the main attractions. Run by local staff members and owned and by a local family. Based in an atmospheric 500 year old building in the centre of Shrewsbury with a Wine Bar, Restaurant and superb Garden. Six fine guest rooms with three having hand-made fourposter beds which were made just across the border in Heredordshire. Awarded a five star Restaurant rating by the Shropshire Star. Many new features for 2014 including a new Restaurant.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Very friendly staff make an evening”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Had a very relaxing meal here on Easter Monday evening. The food wasn't marvellous but it was what we would expect for pub grub on Easter Monday evening. Perfectly acceptable but not historic. Chips were pretty good though! What stood out was the outstanding service from the two chaps on the bar. Cheerful, helpful, attentive but not too much so. They just made this a lovely end to the holiday weekend. Thanks very much guys.

Visited April 2014

DISS
“good food”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Recently visited Shrewsbury and found this little gem tucked away in a side street. Well presented food and very tasty too. So much so that we visited it two consecutive nights.

Friendly staff. The last night when we left it was raining heavily , and as we were on foot, the waitress insisted my wife taking her umbrella!

• Visited March 2014
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Lovely sunny garden!!”
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

On a visit to Shrewsbury my wife and I stopped in here for a spot of lunch in the garden. My wife had an epic fishfinger (home made) sandwich and I had a cajun chicken sandwich. Both were very tasty.

Very friendly service, and the garden is very well kept and neat.

Worth a visit.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“better than I thought.”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We often go to Shrewsbury and me and my husband thought that we would try this place. It looks small from the outside. However, it looked bigger inside and we decided to eat. I am so glad we did. Yes it was a bit pricey for a burger but WHAT A BURGER. I could not finish it all, it was fantastic and the garnish salad was lovely and fresh. We had lager with it and because the food was so filling, I just about managed to finish my second half.I would come back here again and again.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank ann0wen
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“An enjoyable evening.”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Attended a group (approx 12 people) birthday party meal at this restaurant recently, We dined on a Saturday evening and had booked in advance.

The venue is a pretty even split between being a bar or a restaurant. The bar area isn't especially 'open plan' and retains a traditional English pub feel, this creates a nice lively and snug environment. You can dine in the bar area if you're looking for a more informal setting to eat, however the venue also has a separate dining only area that has a lovely period decor and retains the feeling of an old Georgian home. Due to the relatively small dimensions of the venue the tables are all a bit close together, but not excessively so and would only seem so if you were looking for a really private dining experience.

Service was friendly, swift and handled well for a relatively large group. There were a couple of mix ups with the order (ran out of one person's selection and someone was given the wrong meal) however these were resolved remarkably quickly and in the end I would say reflected very well on the staff.

The food was very nice. There was a good selection on the menu and an accommodating range in price to cover most budgets. My meal was very tasty and I think the quality reflected the price paid and the standard the venue aims at. Nothing mind-blowing, but I left feeling entirely satisfied and that's good enough for me.

The wine list was not quite as good unfortunately. Not enough variety and if you wanted to spend less than £20 on a bottle you only had one or two options which was arguably the only negative point of the evening. If wine is a major factor of your dining experience you should bear this in mind.

I believe when drinks were factored in (all but one were drinking wine), a starter and main course for everyone and with the bill divided equally it was roughly £30 per person, which was entirely fair.

I would recommend this venue for almost all sorts of dining experience, romantic, informal, formal or group. I would (and will) be visiting the venue again for both a drink and a bite.

• Visited March 2014