“An enjoyable evening.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cromwells Bar and Restaurant

Cromwells Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 342 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: A vibrant and lively popular Inn right in the centre of the historic County Town. Close to all the main attractions. Run by local staff members and owned and by a local family. Based in an atmospheric 500 year old building in the centre of Shrewsbury with a Wine Bar, Restaurant and superb Garden. Six fine guest rooms with three having hand-made fourposter beds which were made just across the border in Heredordshire. Awarded a five star Restaurant rating by the Shropshire Star. Many new features for 2014 including a new Restaurant.
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“An enjoyable evening.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

Attended a group (approx 12 people) birthday party meal at this restaurant recently, We dined on a Saturday evening and had booked in advance.

The venue is a pretty even split between being a bar or a restaurant. The bar area isn't especially 'open plan' and retains a traditional English pub feel, this creates a nice lively and snug environment. You can dine in the bar area if you're looking for a more informal setting to eat, however the venue also has a separate dining only area that has a lovely period decor and retains the feeling of an old Georgian home. Due to the relatively small dimensions of the venue the tables are all a bit close together, but not excessively so and would only seem so if you were looking for a really private dining experience.

Service was friendly, swift and handled well for a relatively large group. There were a couple of mix ups with the order (ran out of one person's selection and someone was given the wrong meal) however these were resolved remarkably quickly and in the end I would say reflected very well on the staff.

The food was very nice. There was a good selection on the menu and an accommodating range in price to cover most budgets. My meal was very tasty and I think the quality reflected the price paid and the standard the venue aims at. Nothing mind-blowing, but I left feeling entirely satisfied and that's good enough for me.

The wine list was not quite as good unfortunately. Not enough variety and if you wanted to spend less than £20 on a bottle you only had one or two options which was arguably the only negative point of the evening. If wine is a major factor of your dining experience you should bear this in mind.

I believe when drinks were factored in (all but one were drinking wine), a starter and main course for everyone and with the bill divided equally it was roughly £30 per person, which was entirely fair.

I would recommend this venue for almost all sorts of dining experience, romantic, informal, formal or group. I would (and will) be visiting the venue again for both a drink and a bite.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Lovely food, lovely place well worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I have to say over the years it was a hit a miss place sometimes good sometimes not so good , the referb and I presume new owners have really done very well , love the new outside area , the food was fantastic and although some bits may be a little pricey overall good quality and a good amount for the money , I would visit again as overall we were very very pleased with the service , if I wanted to take family for a treat I would definitely consider taking them here , staff were very polite and listened to ensure we got the right order and as we were leaving we were thanked genuinely for our business which was a nice touch , very pleased!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Standone
“Fantastic two days ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

We have just had two days of great food n drink and relaxation thank you cromwells staff.dan the man you are a great manager!! And yes Rosie your Long Island ice tea was fab.thanks again to lovely Lynne who served the breakfast.well done.

2 Thank portojohn
Tenerife, Spain
“What can i say Except for just "yummy"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Couldn't wait to get home to tell you all !!!....to give you this review ....I have to say in every department it was just prefect...
Quality, Price , service was just the tops ...I also had " Sticky Toffee Pudding" and out of the 4 of us i was the only 1 having a sweet ..So my friends just looked at me eating it !!! Need a mmmm... Icon here lol..
When im back in England again ....Deffo a must for me again !!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichaelJAvery, Owner at Cromwells Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you Roberta for your review. We really do try very hard to serve and prepare good food and we really appreciate it when customers enjoy themselves and take the time to publish their experience. Our garden is now bathed in sunshine so the next time you visit you can have a taste of our summer, Shropshire Style! Although I cannot guarantee it will be as hot as Tenerife!
rhyl
“Tasty food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

We went here after bumping into a lovely couple who recommended it to us and we were not disappointed. We both had burger and chips. The burger was home made and so tasty, it came on a lovely soft floury bun with salad and homemade tomatoe chutney. The chips were also homemade and lovely and fresh. Very well priced too. Would highly recommend.