“Good food - awful service”

ASK Italian - Shrewsbury
Ranked #117 of 353 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on the High Street, we've created a restaurant with a distinctive new look inspired by modern Italian design. And with the help of our expert friends, including awarding-winning chef Theo Randall, we've created a menu that features a range of simple, classic Italian food and an all Italian wine list.
“Good food - awful service”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Food was good although starter and main were brought at the same time with no offer to take the main back.
We were sat near to the kitchen area. One of the girls kept lecturing the other staff (I appreciate her attentions may have been good to try and provide better service)and came across as nit-picking / condescending. The other staff ignored her and walked off or answered back or spoke about her behind her back. Not a comfy experience at all.
Won't be going back there because of this - felt so strongly I emailed the management team. Response was generic and full of excuses.

• Visited December 2013

Bolton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Food - Service Needs Work”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We booked a table for 4 for a Saturday eening at 8pm. We arrived out of the rain, no reservation area as such, you walk straight into the middle of people eating. Out of the 3 memebers of staff we saw, not one came over to us or made eye contact for quite some time. Then a member of staff came over wearing a scruffy tshirt. We were seated, no apology for the wait, no can I get you any drinks, jus off she went.
We finally got our orders taken after waiting 15 minutes, the food arrived and was delicious but again it took another 20 minutes after we had finished eating for our plates to be cleared.
We asked for an espresso but the machine was broke so an instant coffee was offered, declined but still was nice to be offered an alternative. We were sat near the window, behind our table was a freestanding heater right next to someone table with he wire trailing along the floor, not the best.
I would recommend the food but the service needs some work.

• Visited February 2014
Telford
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I've been here 4 times over the last 2 years and have always had good service and lovely food. It is not the cheapest of places but it's not trying to compete with the pub chains. The light and airy, minimalist interior makes a pleasant change from the typical modern pub.
I will return and would recommend to others.

• Visited October 2013
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff and tasty food”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We visited ASK with friends for an evening meal and were welcomed and given the choice of where to sit. We were served drinks promptly and all our courses arrived with just the right intervals inbetween them. The waitress was attentive without being too fussy and even supplied a box for my friend to take some of her food home. The food was tasty and hot and we all enjoyed our choices. My husband said that the coffee ice cream (with coffee beans) was the best he's ever tasted (and he loves ice cream!) The mango sorbet, lemon sorbet and lemon tart were all delicious. We were able to use Tesco vouchers to pay for the food so it was very easy on the pocket. We left a generous tip.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank flutefan
“Enjoyable but terrible after effects”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I went for lunch with my mum here a week ago, we both had pizzas, I had the calzone and I forget what my mum had but it was different to mine. Whilst we enjoyed the food whilst we were in the restaurant both my mum and I were poorly for a few days after!! Was great for the diet but not at the cost of £40. Won't be going back anytime soon

• Visited January 2014