“DON'T ASK”

ASK Italian - Shrewsbury
Ranked #75 of 347 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located on the High Street, we've created a restaurant with a distinctive new look inspired by modern Italian design. And with the help of our expert friends, including awarding-winning chef Theo Randall, we've created a menu that features a range of simple, classic Italian food and an all Italian wine list.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“DON'T ASK”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We visited ASK for the very first time on the 9th of Feb, this was our very first visit to ASK and I was really looking forward to it as Italian is my favourite food.

We went to ask as a large party for a family engagement celebration they put us all upstairs I think they forgot about us as we were not offered drinks for ages and when we ordered our food the starter took at least a hour and a half.
Myself and my partner had mushroom al forno ... It was vile, but I was that hungry I ate. The mushrooms were tasteless like they had been boiled in water and then there was two soggy triangle pieces if bread that looked like they shared one slice of bread out with everyone that had a al forno. Our two friends that shared our tab had a salami sharing platter they were not impressed with theirs either although it looked better than ours.
Inbetween all this we were not offered more drinks and had to ask a member of staff.
For my main meal I had seabass there were no mushrooms in the dish the sauce was like water and the 2 boiled potatoes were hard... Not impressed at all it's not hard to boil potatoes. My partner had calzone which you can't really go wrong you can get a pizza just as good out of asda on the make your own counter. Our friends also didn't have a good experience with theirs with the one also having hard boiled potatoes.

Still we hadn't been offered a drink. Anyway that was the end of our meal we asked for the bill and I'm glad we didn't have another drink as your prices for drink are disgusting £6:15 for a bottle of the large peroni (which I think it's either just under a pint or just over)
Bottle of wine £17 not too bad but I'd say bit too pricey.
So we pay our bill which was £55 per couple which we thought was well over priced for the quality and quantity of food we had plus service which is another thing ASK added a service charge of I think 12% Disgusting .... A TIP should be left at the customers discretion not added on the bill it is rude. I work in a industry where tips are given I would never ask for a tip or add it to the receipt without the customers say so I find it very rude and insulting especially after the 'service' we received.

So as a first time customer to ASK there is no way I would go back.

2 Thank kimmy0982

“Ask”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Menu has changed for the worst. I used to like the chicken but that last time i visited I was served what wouldn't be out of place in the frozen food aisle in Tesco. Was disappointed.

Visited November 2012
“Awful”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have eaten in Ask on numerous accasions but the last two have been awful. We wiated over half an hour for our order to be taken, the staff were sullen and inattentive. When the food arrived there was a problem and it had to be sent back. The new decor makes the place very echoey. Portions were small. Will not go back

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Christine B
“Terrible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I organised my leaving party there. We were around 20. For the price, we had nothing in our plates. The staff was never here to give us more water, or ask if it was okay. At the end, we were ask to pay a 10% fee for staff because we were more than 10 or whatever! I said I wouldn't pay, seeing that no one was happy with their food and our table was not even actually 'waited'... AVOID!

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Good Evening with Friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited the "Ask" restaurant on Monday evening with friends before walking across the road to go to the Old Market Hall Cinema in Shrewsbury. We all ordered the pizzas and rustic chips with garlic dip and were all very happy with our meals although we have had tastier pizzas. However, this would not put us off and next time we will try out the pasta dishes instead. The staff were excellent and happy to take our 50% off voucher downloaded from the internet. The restaurant has been refurbished in the last year and was in our opinion very tasteful. This restaurant is in an excellent location if you are visiting the quaint and sophisticated OMH cinema. A perfect evening!

• Visited January 2013