Anton Guest House Bed and Breakfast
$106
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury(Shrewsbury)(Great Value!)
$60
$58
The Old Post Office(Shrewsbury)(Great Value!)
$55
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbiscuitsthe penthousetown centrefridge downstairslovely guesthousestreet parkinglittle extrasplaces of interestfairy lightsminute walkhome from homecomfortable accommodationbreakfast was excellenta great place to staywithin easy walking distanceensuite bathroomcooked to perfection
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My partner and I wanted a relaxing break at Shrewsbury, we planned on staying at a pub chain hotel but found it to be fully booked and boy am I glad ! After doing some research and doing the usual homework on Trip Advisor we decided to stay at the Anton. The pictures of the rooms do not do it justice (we stayed in room no.4). Every little thing seemed to be thought of, I loved the little details like the Portmerion china and the fairy lights around the bed and mirror. Louise was very helpful and gave great advice after we told her the kind of things we wanted to do while staying there. It is about a ten-fifteen minute walk into town but we found this an advantage after seeing some of the places we had considered were in busier/noisier locations. Breakfast was gorgeous. Would definitely recommend a stay there.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are en suite but our room no.4 was.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I have just returned after a three night stay at Anton House for our first visit to Shrewsbury and certainly weren't disappointed , it was very well presented with quality fixtures in the bedroom and en suite with a range of complimentary toiletries, bathrobes and slippers were also provided. Breakfasts were very good with locally sourced produce which went down really well with my husband who enjoys his cooked breakfast when away. We had a bedroom at the front of the property but couldn't have the window open as it was quite noisy at night and early morning which bearing in mind they were the hottest days of the year so far was not ideal and you could also hear the trains going past. This however would not deter us from returning to Anton House but possibly have a bedroom at the back of the property. We chose this guest house as it was close to the town centre and other places we wanted to visit, we had a tour to the vineyard at nearby Wroxeter as a gift from our daughter which we would definitely recommend as it was very informative and the wine tasting went down really well ( we would recommend a taxi there and back only about 15mins away and around £8 ). We also went to Attingham Park ( a National Trust property ) about 10mins away , well worth going. We went to the Peach Tree restaurant on our first evening ( Thursday 4th July ) unfortunately we were disappointed with the service we received , we ordered our food the bread and my husbands starter came but we were left waiting for our main course with NO explanation from anyone as to why it took so long ( table near us were on their sweet before our main course arrived although they arrived after us ) when it did arrive we enquired why it was such a long time we were told (after I asked the waitress to enquire in the kitchen ) that the Chef was not happy with one of our meals but at no point was anybody polite enough to inform us of this which we would have thought SHOULD be the courteous thing to do. When the food did arrive it was nice but obviously didn't enjoy as much as we would have had there not been the problem.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed one night at the Anton guest house, arriving on Friday 26th April 2013, and what a cracking little guest house it turned out to be. It is situated about a 10-15 minutes walk from Shrewsbury town centre. There is a good selection of pubs and restaurants within walking distance.

I was greeted by Louise, the proprietor. She gave me a complimentary tourist map and explained where to find various places of interests.

I stayed in room number one I believe - at the rear of the property. It was a lovely room with a comfortable double bed, wardrobe, armchairs and a TV on a swivel base. That was quite useful. There was good supply of various teas, coffees and tasty biscuits. Not cheap biscuits - these were top notch!

There is a train line at the bottom of the garden. However the line is actually much lower down (i.e. nearer sea level) than the guest house. It really made little noise at all. I had no problem in sleeping whatsoever.

There's a small dining room on the ground floor. The breakfast was superbly cooked using locally sourced produce. It set me up for the day.

All in all, I was made to feel very welcome. I cannot fault this guest house. If I do return to this delightful little town, then the Anton would be my first choice.

The ensuite was immaculate. The shower cubicle looked brand new - spotlessly clean.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Absolutely lovely! Very friendly, very helpful. The room was brilliant, the breakfasts were delicious - all around fantastic! If you're in the area, I'd recommend The Peach Tree restaurant which is nearby (just opposite the abbey), and also advise taking a bus out to some of the surrounding areas such as Iron Bridge or Wroxeter.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at the Anton Guest House for two nights with our friends for the first Shrewsbury Food Festival. It was a perfect location for walking in to the town, only a few minutes walk to the centre. Louise was a lovely host, the room was spotless and tastefully decorated. The special touches were much appreciated; there were even slippers, fluffy robes, a daily choc, fresh milk, use of the dining room in the evenings for take aways if wanted and free Wi-fi. The breakfast was fantastic and the camembert special with mushrooms and smokey bacon was superb and not to be missed! Lovely garden to welcome you in before you even approached the front door. Crisp white sheets and v comfy beds. All in all a great stay. We plan to go back!

Room Tip: Our friends had the double on the first floor with their own bathroom at the end of the hall. It was a beautiful recently refurbished room with room to sit and relax as a group before we headed out. Our room was on the top floor and was an en suite, another beautiful room with both a bath and a shower. Both rooms much loved by the couples who stayed in them. Thanks for a GREAT stay!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends