“Simply the best!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abbey Court House

Abbey Court  House
Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Abbey Court House
Ranked #31 of 54 Shrewsbury B&B and Inns
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Simply the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

I find it totally beyond belief that anyone can write an adverse review on Abbey Court. We have been staying there two or three times a year for over ten years now, Shrewsbury being a favourite "haunt", and a large part of the joy of Shrewsbury for us is knowing that we are returning to Abbey Court. I am not the easiest of people to please, a fact that I am sure my partner would readily affirm, but I would not even consider staying anywhere else when in Shrewsbury. It is spotlessly clean throughout, the beds are more comfortable than those in four star hotels I have stayed in, the breakfast is second to none and the welcome everyone receives from proprietor Valerie, not just her "regulars", is fabulous. So please do not be put off by adverse comments, Valerie and her team at Abbey Court work tremendously hard to ensure their guests have a wonderful stay and that hard work pays off. The only downside to Abbey Court - having to leave there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paul l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

Having stayed there last night, I thought I'd get it all written down whilst it is fresh in my mind.

I booked over the phone several weeks ago, it was my own fault as I'd left it quite late as I needed a room in the town to attend a wedding whilst the flower show was on, most places were fully booked.

I was told that there was a double room available, and at first was told I couldn't have it as I was on my own and wasn't a couple. I was then told that I could have the room as I'd struggle to get anywhere else, which was true and I was very grateful for this.

On arrival, I was politely greeted, and then shown to a single room... which I wasn't expecting, but as I knew that everywhere else was booked I took it.

Things which need looking at are;

Pillows were too thin
Bed was noisy
Consider duvets rather than blankets
There was a mixed of random plastic coat hangers, probably left from previous occupants in the wardrobe.
There was one small bar of soap! Nothing else, no other toiletries. There was a shower gel dispenser in the shower, but it was empty.
The road outside was very noisy, I had the window open as it was very warm and every lorry bouncing down the road woke me up.
There was paint flaking off the bathroom ceiling
The pedal on the pedal bin was missing
The plates were too small for the breakfast
There was dozens of cigarette ends outside the front door stuck in the cobbles which could have been swept away.
Breakfast was served between 8 and 9, this is really quite early.
The carpet on the stairs was bare in places.

I will say however, the local guide in the room had a lot of detail in it, which were useful.
Also, the free parking was good.

All of the above items are quite minor, but added together it was the worst night I'd ever had in a hotel or guest house.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Tom S
northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

Not quite sure what the previous persons complaints are about, please don't be put off by this. We found the Hotel very clean, staff helpful and welcoming. The breakfast was very good with lots of choices. The cleanliness was 1st class throughout the hotel. Ample secure parking. Will definitely be back again for our 3rd visit. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank daviesec
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

Just to put this review in some context - we have travelled extensively on a tight budget throughout the world and have never wanted to leave a room more than we did with Abbey Court House! 'Greeted' by a less than polite or helpful man we were given a key and pointed to our room. This was on the ground floor at the front of the building. Looking onto a main road with windows that if opened would reduce our privacy and security. The room was hot and damp with no fan and the wallpaper was peeling off and stuck together with tape. Very tired fixtures and awful beds with impossibly hard pillows. We didnt sleep well and had to open the window in the bathroom to allow in some air - but this resulted in cigarette smoke blowing into our bedroom and waking us up. Breakfast was very cheap and practically inedible. I find it embarrassing that a guest house of such bad quality could ever achieve a 4 star rating.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank weaselbear
paignton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

Stayed at Abbey Court several times over the last few months , always been made to feel very welcome , great accomodation with comfy rooms and bed , breakfast very nice and fills you up all day, close to town , and better value than many hotels , what more could you ask.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank david l
shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

I stayed there on friday 17th in room 5. From the moment I booked in. I could see it was a warm, clean and very welcoming place. The room was at a very high standard and the breakfast was very good choice. Next time I'm in the area I will stay there.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank steveo41
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

Stayed there for 1 night with my sister while sightseeing in Shrewsbury. The B&B is slightly far away from the Shrewsbury Rail (about a 20-min walk) but is not difficult to find. We stayed in room 8, a twin plus ensuite. Beds were spotlessly clean and comfortable. The kettle had water in it already (probably left from previous guests) and the teapot was not particularly clean with some tea stain inside. The shower room was clean and quite big, towels were clean as well. The English breakfast was slightly greasy but still tasted fine. Overall the stay was ok, not particularlt impressive or bad, but slightly expensive for what you'll get.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family